MP560 Pigment Head CLOGGED!!!

themow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
if both pads or pumps are defective, would the ink still look fine on the nozzle check but the pigment be non existent

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
themow said:
if both pads or pumps are defective, would the ink still look fine on the nozzle check but the pigment be non existent
Since you have reported that the dye-based inks print out perfectly then there is nothing wrong with either their purge pad/tube nor that portion of the print head for the dye-based cartridges.

However, you are having a problem with the pigment ink not printing out and you have reported an inability to even force fluid through the pigment ink part of the print head using a syringe. Occasionally you have seen some pigment ink on a print out but it is not consistent present or complete in form.

On top of this, you report that when you flood BOTH purge pads they BOTH drain the pooled fluid quickly on their own without a cleaning cycle or even a recycle from closing the lid of a POWERED UP printer. (there is nothing to gain by closing the lid of a printer that has no power) Typically, it is expected that pooled fluid on the print head will not drain quickly as you report. This could mean the purge system tubes that run from under the purge pads eventually to the purge waste pads are disconnected. BUT, your dye-based inks are printed out perfectly. Therefore, we cannot say with certainty at this point if the pigment ink purge pad is the problem since both pigment ink and dye-based ink purge pads behave equally when flooded with fluid.

So, what to do?

1) If the nozzles for the pigment ink on the print head do not flow fluid/ink when you try to flush them then you will not be able to print out pigment ink regardless of the purge system status. Keep working on unclogging the pigment ink portion of the print head.

2) The purge system of your printer may or may not be fine. Since both purge pads respond equally to flooding them with fluid, either they are OK or you are not doing the test properly or you need to use more fluid or keep trying the test. If you have seen a pool of fluid above the level of the pads then you have done the test properly.

3) Since the print head sounds like there is still a clog in the pigment ink pathway, I would get that cleared if possible before taking the printer apart to see if the purge system is proper. Once you have a working print head then you will know if the purge system could also be a problem if pigment black still doesn't print out.

4) You may take a chance, based on the logic of what I've written, and buy a new print head if you give up on your current one. If the new print head doesn't work then you are faced with taking apart the printer or paying someone else to do it (authorized Canon service center). Obviously, this could prove to be an expensive adventure.

Keep positive and accept that this could take a week or few to resolve.

themow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
with no power to the haed should water flow through the pigment section of the head? I had a plastic tube attached to it and the water level never changed. The dye portions flow when performing the same test

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
You should be able to get flow through the pigment section. This is with the print head removed AND resting on folded paper towels.

I had the experience of suffering from a very hard clog in the pigment purge unit that had to be mechanically cleaned to remove the obstruction. The Hobbicolors PMT black gelled throughout the purge unit and clogged small passageways in the pump solid. I had to use a thin wire to break up the obstruction.

It was a mess to clean out, but I succeeded.

You may have to risk dis-assembling the print head ceramic portion to access the internal passageways, AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Wayne

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
themow said:
with no power to the haed should water flow through the pigment section of the head? I had a plastic tube attached to it and the water level never changed. The dye portions flow when performing the same test
You should NEVER try to force fluid of any king through the print head whilel in the printer, even more so with the printer turned on!

As I said before, your main objective should be to either get your current print head unclogged OR consider a new print head BEFORE thinking about the purge system. You will never be able to print with a clogged print head regardless of any other problem with the printer. The print head is the easiest and cheapest component for you to approach at the moment AND it is the lynchpin of your situation.

If you decide your current print head is beyond hope, then you have a tough decision. Should you buy a new print head and something else is wrong with the printer, you will either pay more money, maybe a couple hundred dollars, to have some one fix it OR you will need patience and methodical care in dissembling, fixing and reassembling your printer. Nothing is rocket science BUT there are a lot of steps and pieces that might be difficult for some people to manage in its totality. You should probably keep meticulous records, pictures would be useful, in how you took it apart in order to help you put it back together again. I am not trying to dissuade you but rather giving you an opportunity to understand what is at hand before diving in blindly.

My opinion is to plug the printer in and try the purge system test again. Don't unplug this time. Even if pooled fluid disappears before you close the lid (and you should flood the heck out of the pads this time), try it. One thing to look for, since you said you took the pads out and cleaned them (?) is to run a cleaning cycle of the pigment ink cartridge only (since we already know the dye-based cartridges are working) and afterwards open the lid and look to see if the pigment ink purge pad has blackened from the cleaning cycle. After washing the pad it should have lightened in color. Doing a cleaning cycle should deposit ink back onto the purge pad thereby darkening it.

Dissembling the print head will probably result in the death of it and is a last resort, desperate maneuver. My opinion is to keep working on unclogging the print head pigment black portion. A couple methods from NS member Pharmacist are posted below. It is but two methods/materials of many you can read about on the forum.
Cleaning: fill a cartridge with this solution (with ammonia) and execute a deep cleaning cycle to remove stubborn and tenacious clogging.

20 ml isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol)
80 ml distilled water
10 drops of propylene glycol
Ammonia Concentration: if used in cleaning cycle stick with 5 drops per 100 ml and when used to soak printheads externally increase it to 20-25 drops.

Fold a paper towell into a nice thick and even strip and drench it with the cleaning solution and put it under the printhead and let it soak for about 1 hour. After that, execute one cleaning cycle.

25-30 % ammonia: this is concentrated ammonia. If you use household concentration, increase accordingly.

Standard household ammonia in the UK is 9% w/w (weight for weight)
Keep us appraised of your efforts.