MP560 Pigment Head CLOGGED!!!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
OK. I was working off the impression that NOTHING was printing out after dissembling the print head, not pigment black nor any of the dye-based inks.

After reading emerald's post I went back and reread themow's last post, IF the dye-based colors appear in the nozzle check THEN you still have a chance to unclog the print head.

As emerald said, pressurized fluid may damage the print head irreversibly. Using HOT water may damage the print head irreversibly. Certain chemicals added to a bath may irreversibly damage the print head. Opening up the print head may irreversibly damage it. Swapping a bad print head of unknown etiology into a different printer may irreversibly damage that printer. And yet emerald has had success with several of these methodologies. So have others. It can becomes a crap shoot based on your technique and tenacity resolving a clog.

The last person to recently write of a success in unclogging a print head used moonshine since they did not have isopropyl alcohol on hand. I have been wondering if Coca-Cola could be used since it will eat through just about anything given enough time.

Keep us informed of your efforts.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Based on everything I've read, I REALLY suspect a purge unit problem with this unit.

Wayne

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
turbguy said:
Based on everything I've read, I REALLY suspect a purge unit problem with this unit.

Wayne
My money is on the purge unit too..:duc
It shouldnt drain like that..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You boys are too late. Already called the purge system issue. :frow

But I do want clarification on what themow wrote about checking his purge system before putting money on it. Probably why I have a few more punt ireannach buried in the backyard than uncle The Hat. :p

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Probably why I have a few more punt ireannach buried in the backyard than uncle The Hat.
Its s now stratman s, punts make great compost..:lol:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
Its s now stratman s, punts make great compost..:lol:
Just having some fun, uncle, trying to get a smile from you. We've heard over here that resistance to the European Borg Collective is futile. :barnie

A couple years back I had some crackpot in a grocery store rambling on how the USA was going to dump the dollar for the "Amero", which was to be used by the entire continent. That would not go over well with the people here. :somad

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
A couple years back I had some crackpot in a grocery store rambling on how the USA was going to dump the dollar for the "Amero", which was to be used by the entire continent. That would not go over well with the people here.
:somad
There you are and I taught that the auld green backs were acceptable in all of your States.
Gee stratman thanks for the up-date..:clap

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
Gee stratman thanks for the up-date..:clap
I begged you , uncle, not to bet on the Amero on PaddyPower. :old But, no, you had a feeeeling. :weee

themow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
sorry for the delay. about the purge system. With the lid up and the unit unplugged, i flood the purge sponges and they both drain quickly. while im filling one, the other one drains. This all while the unit is off and unplugged. I remove the sponges to clean them off theyre rock hard?
Also after the longest soak of the head i did get a few marks on the pigment section of the nozzle test but that quickly stopped. All of the dyes are pumping clean.

So my question. I know that if you hook a hose up to the dye holes on the head, water or cleaning fluid will drain through. slowly but The pigment will not drain through at all. Does the pigment part of the head have some sort of pump in it that will only let ink flow when powered or should it flow through when out of the unit and under no power? I know for a fact that the white part of the head, porcelain or whatever the material is completely clear on all nozzles. If the head is clogged, then its in the black top part where the cart sits.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
With the printer off, the purge pads should hold a "puddle", which does not drain unless there is a hose disconnected underneath them. The hoses (one for each pad) lead to parastaltic pumps that pulls a slight vacuum on the printhead when parked and purging.

Tricky, but not impossible, to repair. Typically it takes major dis-assembly to reach them. AND it's messy!

It IS unusual for BOTH pads to suffer this simultaneously.

Wayne