MG3650S Printer Head Alignment problems.

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
When the MG3650S prints the vertical lines are like the castle battlements so I tried to align the printheads.
Printing out the alignment sheet and scanning it in made no difference so I read in the Canon manual that I can do a Manual Alignment.
This only seems to work with Windows OS and I use MacOS. Is there a MacOS solution to this problem ?
Thanks
Brian.

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
Thanks PeterBJ, I have tried that but it has made no difference at all. I could see the strip at the back and cleaned it but there was very little dirt/ink/dust on it, it did look clean.
Any further ideas ?
Cheers
Brian.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you upload scans of a nozzle check, the alignment sheet and a print showing the distorted lines ?

Maybe the problem is caused by a defect in the pigment black cartridge? I attach a zip folder with a Word and a PDF file with black and CMY vertical stripes. Maybe printing this can show if only one cartridge is at fault.

Could you persuade an owner of a Windows computer to install the printer and do the manual alignment?

If nothing of this works then sadly I am out of ideas.

Attachments

• Alignment test.zip
    172 KB · Views: 174

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
Thanks for the taking the time to help.
I have scanned in the details as requested Scan 1.jpegScan 3.jpegScan.jpegScan 2.jpeg
On the sheet with the numbers you can see the indentations on the vertical line.
Cheers
Brian.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think it is strange that the problem only shows in the address list named scan.jpg.
The other 3 scans look OK to me.

If the timing strip is clean, I think the problem is caused by a misalignment of the black cartridge. Did the problem start after changing the black cartridge? Maybe removing and reinserting the black cartridge could reduce the misalignment so an automatic alignment with a new alignment sheet can handle the problem?

Maybe the printer will behave better with a new or remanufactured black cartridge? Else I suggest to have the alignment done manually from a Windows computer. The alignment data is stored in the printer, so it will still be aligned when connected to the MAC computer after the alignment.

Here is a thread about an HP printer with the same problem. There were two causes of the problem, both friction to the cartridge carriage movement due to lack of lubrication and the printer also needed a cartridge alignment.

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
Thanks Peter.
No change of cartridge, the fault just started and got worse. I will remove and reinsert the black cartridge ( it is a Canon one but I refill it with ink).
I'll see if I can get hold of a Windows OS to try the cure on that.
Cheers
Brian.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I read in the Canon manual that I can do a Manual Alignment.
This only seems to work with Windows OS and I use MacOS.
I also read your User Manual and it does state you can do a Manual Alignment. Instructions for this begin Page 154.

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300019363/02/MG3600ser_OnlineManual_Mac_EN_V02.pdf

What do you mean it isn't working for you? Be specific.

Additionally, what version of Mac OS are you using? Are you using the most up to date Canon driver? Version?

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
I also read your User Manual and it does state you can do a Manual Alignment. Instructions for this begin Page 154.

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300019363/02/MG3600ser_OnlineManual_Mac_EN_V02.pdf

What do you mean it isn't working for you? Be specific.

Additionally, what version of Mac OS are you using? Are you using the most up to date Canon driver? Version?
Thanks for the info.
On the online manual I have only the Windows option is highlighted for hyper link.
Brian.

Attachments

• canon alignment macos.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 168

Latest posts