Printer Alignment Problem - Canon Pixma MG3250

Bob Schedler

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG3250
After about 2 years, I now have an apparent mislaignment problem. I have carried out a number of 'Print Head Alignments', without success. I have even replaced the 2 (color & black) cartridges with new ones, to no avail. I cannot even print out a decent Print Alignment Sheet (see attached). Anyone know what to do?
Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_20151108_0001.jpg
    IMG_20151108_0001.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 2,075

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The problem with the horizontal position of the print could suggest a problem with the timing strip, it might need cleaning. But then I would expect the whole print to be affected, not only the top third. So I think this is a difficult problem to solve. Are there other ideas to what is causing the problem?

The timing strip is a transparent plastic strip that is threaded through the cartridge carriage, here is a photo from an MP270 which might be similar to your printer:

MP270 Timing strip.jpg

To clean the timing strip open the printer as if you would change a cartridge. When the cartridge carriage has centred then pull the power cord without first turning the printer off. You can now push the cartridge carriage from side to side. Use some window cleaner with ammonia on a piece of soft tissue paper to clean the timing strip. Be careful not to tear the strip.

I hope this helps, but sadly I'm not sure.

Bob Schedler

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG3250
I can't believe it, it worked! I wasn't very optimistic at the start, and I had to devise a bent L-shaped plastic rod with a soft tissue attached, The timing strip was quite dirty, but so far all is OK. Will have a second bash at cleaning as it is still not perfectly clean.
Thanks a million,
Bob

PS Had written off the usual advice to "take it to your service agent". Before they even look at the printer, they charge more than the cost of a new one!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I can't believe it, it worked!
You know what they say, “Never rule anything in or anything out till the theory is tried and tested”..;)

--T--

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG3250
I had the same problem. I used a paper towel, slightly wet, with some detergent. It worked. Thanks a lot guys.

eddy

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
mg3250
Another happy person saved me a bill cannon MG3250 now doing what it was bought for

SooJ

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3250
Weyyyy heeeey, this worked!! I cannot believe how much time I spent about a year ago, to no avail in realigning the print heads. This worked first time - I used a kitchen cleaner wet-wipe type cloth very gently, lots of colour ended up on the cloth. Thank you so much :D

Latest posts