MG3650S Printer Head Alignment problems.

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
Notice that there are two user manuals available for download, one for Windows and one for Mac. So there should be no need to look for a Windows computer.
Thanks, I have downloaded the Mac user manual and page 148 tells me to go to the "Canon IJ Printer Utility". Only problem is that this is not anywhere in the Canon application folders on my Mac so I can't even begin the process. I will have to find out how to get it.
Cheers
Brian.

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
Thanks, I have downloaded the Mac user manual and page 148 tells me to go to the "Canon IJ Printer Utility". Only problem is that this is not anywhere in the Canon application folders on my Mac so I can't even begin the process. I will have to find out how to get it.
Cheers
Brian.
Almost there ! I found the print utility after reinstalling the printer software and was then able to do a manual alignment. It is better but not perfect. The test will be for the next postage label I do and if the Post Office can scan the QR code or not. Fingers crossed.
Thanks everyone for the help and advice, very much appreciated.
Cheers
Brian.

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
Cheers
Brian.
Hi all, just an update to all this.
I reinstalled the printer and drivers, found printer Utility and carried out manual re-alignment 4 times, re cleaned printer heads. It is better but not perfect. Today I printed out a postage label but it failed to scan at the Post Office. Canon tell me to send it in for repair but it's easier to just dump it and get another home printer and more than likely NOT a Canon.
Regards
Brian.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the update even if it was not a happy ending. If the printer is still in warranty you will probably get a replacement. If it is out of warranty I think a repair will be more expensive than a new printer.

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
Here is the latest, and it now works !
I think it was a case somewhat self-induced by ignorance. I hadn't really cottoned on to the fact that the 3650 has the print heads built into the actual ink cartridge, my last printer had the separate ink tanks and print heads. I looked at cleaning the printer heads on the 3650 and realised they were part of the disposable ink tank. Like many, I find it very expensive to replace genuine canon tanks with genuine canon tanks and after trying one-off compatibles that worked fine I refilled the oem canon black using an ink/syringe kit. I now think that I must have refilled too often, perhaps 4/5 times and the print head simply became worn out. I have fitted a new canon oem tank and all is fine.
So, I will still refill but not as many times as before and see how things progress.
Just thought I would let you all know so no one else makes the same mistake.
Thanks again for all the help.
Cheers
Brian.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I refilled the oem canon black using an ink/syringe kit. I now think that I must have refilled too often, perhaps 4/5 times and the print head simply became worn out.
Yes, the cartridges with the built in print heads are not as friendly with refilling as your last printer. They "fail" after fewer refills.

Flushing the cartridge/print head, with or without soaking, may revive the cartridge's function. Make sure the cartridge is dry before re-inserting or wet contacts can cause a short and printer troubles you don;t want.

Latest posts