Mega Problem Pixma ip 5000/ Easy Photo Print program..sudden onset !!!

Inez

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have not been around for awhile however have suddenly encountered a mega problem with my pixma ip 5000 that has been churning out my regular documents and an occasional pic for enclosure in the mail for family.

What has occurred is that my Easy Photo print program suddenly started giving me an Error after attempting to do a print, simply out of the blue.
My OS is XPsp2.
The error that I got was, "No support printer found. Connect a printer supported by this software. Exiting Easy Photo Print."

I called Canon and they advised me to do an Uninstall of the printer and they guided me thru the process and then checked the CP "Printers" and indeed the Printer was removed.
Then they suggested to visit the canon canada website and Install the New Drivers, new Easy Photo print and Easy Web print. I did not do this under their guidance, however felt competent enough to do this. I saved all of the d/l files on my computer desktop and then ran them.
The first time that I did the install I encountered a problem....again with the Easy Photo Print program giving the same Error as above and I did the install after the new Driver install, Easy Web Print was not an issue. And BTW, I could not find an updated Photo Record program on that site after I searched the model clicking onto Customer Support which is what Canon advised. I now only have that program on my original Install disc. Since I again encountered this problem I decided to another uninstall and do a Reg clean and see if that corrected the issue and also checked to insure that the printer was unplugged from the power bar and that I followed the install process that indicates when to install the printer in case I slipped up there.
In spite of this, the Identical problem recurred.

I did a print test page on my regular paper which is set to feed from the back and it was fine.
It is the Easy Photo Print which keeps repeating the same error. I can't print a pic and of course this is now the weekend and Canon is closed.

I am beside myself, not knowing what could be the issue. I have tried other USB ports (2.0) and that did not make a difference.
When I check the CP, the Printer is there and is ready....it is the Easy Photo Print program that even with the new version will not work and I can't understand why a regular document print will work and yet Easy Photo Print keeps saying that "No Support printer is found....as I indicated above.

Could it be that the installed drivers from my cd that were working fine until I went to print a photo are still sitting corrupted on my computer and if so how do I deal with that.
Canon said that they would disappear after the uninstall. And why I can print documents and not Easy Photo Print??

I really hope that someone has some ideas here as I am simply frustrated by this whole matter.
Something is most certainly wrong and I have the latest version of this program on my computer as I mentioned I did do a d/l from the site per Canon's suggestion, saved the files in a folder on the desktop and of course did the install of the new drivers first.

I also tried removal of the d/l updates and then did an install from my original cd that came with the printer and still the problem with Easy Photo Print existed.

I look forward to experienced users input.
Thankyou for your time...I am simply tearing my hair out now in total frustration !!!

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In my opinion the Canon printer utilities are poorly supported, and are not up to date. Webprint will not work with IE7, and I don't know about VISTA support. Webprint is uniqely useful, though, and I do not know of another utility performing this job, so I keep IE6 just because of this. You can use it as a magnifying viewer of multi-page documents. PhotoPrint is an old application, and I do not use it.

The last time I looked, the versions for some of these utilities, like the zooming album utility, had not changed in four years. I bought three Canon printers this year and they all had these decrepit applications on the disk.

You do not mention whether you can print photos through another app. if you do not have a Photoshop, get the free paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/) and see if you can print an image. If you can, forget Canon.

Check to see if the correct print processor [not driver] is installed in Windows. (Control panel/printers.../properties/advanced/processor)

Reg cleaning is not likely to scour out all the references to a printer. You need a deeper set of tools like JV16 which can scan for entries related to "canon" and delete them. If you have previously run other Canon printers there will be garbage related to them, though whether dead registry entries ever come into play is a moot point.

My recommendation is not to spend much time on this; find other applications which do the job. You are not missing much. If you cannot get the printer to print a test page from the Windows interface, then your problem is not the printer or its bundled applications, but is a Windows problem, possibly due to wrong port assignment.

Your experience reminds us to set restore points before installing anything.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine uses Picasso, a free photo editing/printing program. I use photoshop so I have no experience with this program. The friend who uses Picasso would not like the complexity of photoshop and is very happy with Picasso. While teaching my wife to do color photo printing I tried the easy print program that came with my canon printers. The same photos printed with Photoshop Elements were better as I can exert conrtols at the program level and at the printer level as well.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I would suggest qimage - price is right, you can upgrade anytime you need more features. Support for ICC color profiles and print quality makes photoshop printing look outdated :)

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Smile said:
I would suggest qimage - price is right, you can upgrade anytime you need more features. Support for ICC color profiles and print quality makes photoshop printing look outdated :)
I will second the use of QImage. Think you can still download and use a 30 trial offer before deciding to buy - that is what I did about two years ago. It is regularly updated - updates are free. Program checks for an update each time it is run.

Steve W.

Inez

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thankyou for the replies. Since I am a Noob to photo printing I decided to start out with Easy Photo Print since Canon supported it and I could call in if I got in a bind, however it is the weekend and so here I am with a problem.
I had a friend burn Easy Photo Print on a CD for me and I copy and pasted it to the Desktop and ran the program and still problems.
Before that I again did a Reg Clean after I uninstalled the prior d/l that sat on my desktop. The Printer prints a Test Page, however this software will not work.
I checked the Processor in the CP and it indicates Canon Pixma ip 5000 (RAW)<<<< I am not sure what that is and whether it is correct as there were other options.

The update took so long to d/l when I first did the update on my desktop and then also when my friend did it and we both have high speed. This was from the Customer Support at [urlwww.canon.ca[/url] under drivers.
There must be something leftover in the Registry re this program's first version ??? to cause this Error to keep popping up on the screen???

I noted one of the posters indicating Easy Web Print as a good program and it is one that I like and use a lot as well and I too use IE 6.

So this sounds like I might need to get someone to look through my registry then....for leftovers if I wish to install this software properly ???
I am going to google the other suggestions of software as well, however I still wish to look yet at Easy Photo Print.

I again look forward to comments if anyone else has more to consider, thankyou.

I should include an addendum here.....for some reason I am having issues now as well with the "automatic paper feed", I can print pages of documents; however when i go to do a nozzle check or cleaning the lower tray wants to activate.
So I take the electrical cord out and count to 10 and replug it in and it still won't feed from the back. The Canon tech told me to set it on "automatic paper feed" instead of the default, however it intermittently does not want to feed from the back ????

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Try using CCleaner, I've used it with no problems. Make sure you make a backup of your registry before you run it and make a backup of your registry in the program. Hope it helps.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Inez

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi again, this sounds like I am getting in a way over my head with the "CCleaner" program. The better half looks after that sort of thing and is unavailable at the moment due to a work assignment. I don't know if Canon will be able to assist with this tomorrow, as they were the ones who advised me to do an uninstall of my drivers, and new install of Easy Web Print and Easy Photo Print as they are on their Canadian Canon site and have new updates.

I have done all of that and did the uninstall of my original CD program that came with the printer under the Canon tech's guidance and have ended up with problems.
What has been an excellent running printer for 2 years now, maintained regularly and pic's and documents printed great...( I only have used Canon Ink, for the few cents more and for the amount of printing that we actually do and only a few pic's as we only do them to insert into an envelope to send to family if we can't find the negative and thus do a scan via my Canon Lide 80).

For the new digital Panasonic cameras that we have the DMC LZ7S's we use our Canon ES2 printer which is dye sublimation and that is when we travel to do assignments in our province's remote north.
There are no shops availabale to do the camera prints and this little unit does a great job indeed and meets our requirements very well.

But for now my issue is with the Pixma ip 5000 which is having its quirks, hiccoughs or whatever and it all started with Easy Photo Print giving the error message that I indicated in my first post and Canon had me do an uninstall of the old drivers and install of the new ones and the new version of the softwares from their site.

And now all of this occurs ????? And a Repeat of the Easy Photo Print program, even after the old problematic one was removed, a reg clean done and a reinstall of the program from the new version on the Canadaian Canon website which I was advised would resolve the problem and now all of this !!

I need to get the printer working and thus I posted here. Seems strange that the printer will print documents and yet comes up with the Error that it can't find a printer for the Easy Photo Print neither from the original CD installed program which to me was corrupted by something nor the new d/l of the program from the Canon site which their tech recommended. (the d/l was extremely long both on my notebook and my friend's who tried it out.....he wondered if this could be part of the reason that it has issues as it d/l's ever so slow on a high speed connection.

I know better than to tackle "CCleaner" without my better half around !!! The backup is done every 3 weeks, diligently. But as far as doing a clean up.... again that is not my department
I wish that there was some other solution.
Thank you.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Someone earlier in this thread recommended JV16 from http://www.macecraft.com/. It has a free 30 day, fully functional trial period. It will clean your Registry automatically (careful what you delete), it can save a copy of the Registry before changes, and it can quickly and pretty thoroughly search your Registry for line items and let you delete them. It is much faster than doing it manually via Windows Regedit.

Your issue may be one of several problems:
1) Some bits and pieces of the uninstalled app may be left behind in the Registry, maybe even hidden to JV16 when using the logical search term(s).
2) Some files/Links were deleted/corrupted that were needed by other apps to perform the function you are having difficulty with.
3) Some setting(s) was changed, maybe unrelated to what you think caused the problem.

So, how to fix?

1) Try JV16 to clean out the bits not removed when unistalling the program. Then try re-installing the application after a re-boot as if installing it for a new, never installed before printer (unplug the printer cable before installing drivers if that's what the directions call for.).
2) Use an program installation monitor like Total Install (http://www.martau.com/) which records all changes to your harddrive when you install a program, then when you are ready to uninstall the program, it will remove most/all the bits better than most every uninstall using only the installed program's own uninstall routing (ie via Add Remove Programs list). Ashampoo Uninstaller (http://www.ashampoo.com/) is another monitor program. I think both offer free trial periods.

Using Total Uninstall, which I think does a better job than Ashampoo, install the original Canon program that you think is causing the program. Reboot and use Total Uninstall to uninstall the offending program. You can use Add Remove Program first and then use Total Uninstall second to see how much stuff was left over from the usual/typical uninstall for fun if you'd like. The key is to use Total Uninstall. Then reboot, use JV16 to search and delete pertinent files/Registry entries leftover (if any). Reboot again then try installing your new, updated Canon program/drivers.

3) Use a completely different program for manipulating/printing.
4) Roll back your setup to an earlier time when everything worked. Must have either a Restore Point or an archive backup of your system to do this.
5) Reinstall Windows. (ouch!) Try a Repair first to see if it corrects the problem.
6) Get a different printer (might be the best solution given your other printer issues though I hope not). If your printer is still under warranty, politely nag Canon to fix or replace.
7) Don't print pictures anymore. (not!)

I would imagine that Canon Technical Support had you do simple things like deleting the printer from Windows, such as via the Printers And Faxes list in Windows XP, then rebooting and let Windows find and reinstall the printer? A long time ago, with a different version of Windows, I had to delete my printer from the list, turn off the computer, unplug the printer cable, reboot and see that no printer found. Then shut down again, reconnect the printer cable, boot up and let Windows install the "new" printer. I think I may even had deleted the printer's driver file from the harddrive (in case it was corrupted) before the "new" install, so that the computer had to ask for the driver files before installation.