MB2720 - First refill with problems

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Thank you for the tip Palombian.

I am waiting for the syringes and tapered tip to arrive so that I can refill the OEM Carts.
I have printed more than 150 pages with the aftermarket carts, a total disaster, unless you run a cleaning cycle, every time before printing, which is clearly not what you are supposed to do.

So considering that I am currently using those carts with their own ARCs, should I just replace the chips on the OEM with the ones I have on the aftermarket carts, and that should be it?
Should I expect any surprise in terms of reset errors?

Thank you! :)
Alex
You just transfer the chips.
ARC's only reset when reinserted after declaring empty (red cross).
If you refill before the chip indication will be out of phase with the real ink volume.
In practice it doesn't harm, you can continue to print with a chip showing empty as long as you estimate there is enough ink.

So you can refill all carts together and avoid excessive purging (you need to print a fair amount of pages after changing carts to build a negative pressure inside - against leaking and cross contamination, much more frequent with 3th party refillables).

As @Artur5 has shown in detail the Maxify printhead has ink sensors and will stop printing when the cart is really empty.
In fact you use ARC's only because the printer needs a chip.

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You just transfer the chips.
ARC's only reset when reinserted after declaring empty (red cross).
If that is the case, I should suck out ink from the aftermarket carts to accelerate the triggering of the 'red cross' so that I can then insert the OEMs ASAP.
I can probably re-use the ink I suck out from the aftermarket tanks to refill the OEMs.

In a nutshell, it is necessary that the tanks are empty before I can switch back to the OEMs, otherwise the chips won't reset, correct?

Alex

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The chips do not see how much ink really is in the tanks, they count down when the nozzles spay ink ;).

Suck the ink out, refill the OEM's and transfer the chips. They won't know they are on another cartridge.

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The chips do not see how much ink really is in the tanks, they count down when the nozzles spay ink ;).

Suck the ink out, refill the OEM's and transfer the chips. They won't know they are on another cartridge.
Palombian,

By chance, do you know the weight of a new PGI-1200XL (Black) as well as the weight of the colour ones?
I am aware of the difference in ink density, but it is just for me to have an idea.

BTW, I give for granted that the tank that comes with a new Maxify printer can be refilled to XL level, as I assume it is just the quantity of ink they put in the bag that is less.

I received the syringes and the tips, so on Saturday I will finally get rid of the aftermarket carts and cross my finger with the OEM ones.

Thank you!
Alex

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
BTW, I give for granted that the tank that comes with a new Maxify printer can be refilled to XL level, as I assume it is just the quantity of ink they put in the bag that is less.
Whether the 1200 cartridge can be filled to XL amounts or not, if you are going to use XL fill volumes then you will need the XL chip to maintain proper ink level monitoring.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
ARC's count the XL volume.
All carts have the same bag and can be refilled to this.
I have the larger 2500 carts, don't know the weight of the 1200's.

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Very good point,so... the question is whether the chips I currently have on my aftermarket tanks are good to be used or not. When refilled the precisioncolors aftermarket carts, I was able to put in 55ml (BL) and 25ml (Colors), so really, this is a lot comparing to what an XL can take.
What do you think?

Maybe @mikling can help by answering on the ARC question? It seems to me that the volume you can refill in the aftermarkets tanks is much more than the OEM XL can take, so perhaphs I should not use the ARCs from the aftermarket carts. Thoughts?

A question to @The Hat : in post #15, you gave me the weight of the empty PGI-1200 carts:
  • Black tank = 62 gm.
  • Colour tanks = 44 gm
I put my empty PGI-1200 OEM on my kitchen scale and I get the following:
  • Black tank: 40gr
  • Colour tank : 28gr
There is a big difference, and I cannot explain it.

Thank you guys!

Alex

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think a modern digital kitchen scale has got a resolution of 1 gram, maybe an accuracy of +/- 1 % and +/- 1 on last digit. You could verify your scale using coins as weights. I think you can find the weights of your coins on your central bank's website or similar. Even if the tolerance on the coins' weight might be +/- several % it is good enough to tell if @The Hat or your kitchen scale is wrong.

Last edited:

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
PeterBJ,

We are far away from any tolerance, there must be another reason.
Actually, it looks like I get 2/3 of what @The Hat specified, this cannot be by coincidence, we are missing something.

Taken by curiosity, I weighted the coins and the scale is correct, it rounds up to the next gram, which is what I would expect.

Alex

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I put my empty PGI-1200 OEM on my kitchen scale and I get the following:
  • Black tank: 40gr....... Correct
  • Colour tank : 28gr ..... Correct
There is a big difference, and I cannot explain it... We are far away from any tolerance, there must be another reason.
I taught that a bit strange too, that you were getting a complete different weight to what I had, so I weight them again and got the same weight as before.. !

It turned out that the scale was set to a different weight measure, and using the tare button I made sure it was set to Gms. And tried once more.. This is what I got.. Black ..39.8 and Colour 28 Gm.

So I have to apologise for giving you the wrong weights, and also thank you for correcting me on my stupid mistake..

I'll edit the post#15 just in case..