MB2720 - First refill with problems

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I taught that a bit strange too, that you were getting a complete different weight to what I had, so I weight them again and got the same weight as before.. !

It turned out that the scale was set to a different weight measure, and using the tare button I made sure it was set to Gms. And tried once more.. This is what I got.. Black ..39.8 and Colour 28 Gm.

So I have to apologise for giving you the wrong weights, and also thank you for correcting me on my stupid mistake..

I'll edit the post#15 just in case..
Hi,

@The Hat : There is no need to apologise man, it happens with kitchen scales, they have multiple units of measure, you press the button more than once, and you get the wrong unit.
The important is that we got the numbers corrected, for those who will read our posts in the future, they will see consistent numbers :)

@palombian : Regarding the ARCs, when you say that 'all carts have the same bag and can be refilled to this', you are probably referring to the OEM carts.
However, what I am about to do, is to remove the chip from the precisioncolor aftermarket tanks, and put it on the OEM ones.
Since the aftermarket tanks can take more ink than the OEM, (55ml (BL) and 25ml (Colors), I am not sure how the ARC calculates this.
  • Is it calibrated to calculate the max. volume up to 55ml or simply 'up to any volume' the sensor detects?
If it is the former, it won't be precise to measure the ink level, but if it is the latter, then it will.

Also, since I am going to remove the aftermarket carts from the printer, which are currently 3/4 full, and replace them with refilled 'full' OEMs (which will use the aftermarket carts ARCs), I wonder what level the printer will detect. Full again?

I guess doing this will tell me, but in the meantime, I put your minds at work ;)

Thank you!
Alex

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Since the aftermarket tanks can take more ink than the OEM, (55ml (BL) and 25ml (Colors), I am not sure how the ARC calculates this.
The aftermarket chips are dumb. They count down. They do not know the volume of ink in the cartridge. If the chip gets reset and you do not refill enough ink then the printer will run dry and you may irreparable burn out nozzles.

You should be able to tell which cartridge the chip emulates, either the 1200 or the 1200 XL, by looking at ink level monitoring on the LED screen on the printer and clicking on "Ink Number".

Mikling creates some confusion on his web site Precision Colors in that his compatible cartridge is identified as a 1200 but the ink level image he uses in his instructions for refilling show the 1200 XL model cartridges.

Figure out which cartridge model the chip emulates and then fill to that volume.

Edit:

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I just finished to refill the PGI-1200 BK OEM with 35ml, put it back in the printer.
The color tanks are still the aftermarket ones (for the moment).
The print nozzle is perfect, but the ARC does not seem to trigger the right level.
This is probably because the ARC thinks the cart is the aftermarket one and takes into consideration 55ml as full, while it is now 35ml :(
Any thoughts?
In the meantime, I carry on with the colors.

Capture.JPG

Alex

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
he ARC does not seem to trigger the right level.
This is probably because the ARC thinks the cart is the aftermarket one
The chip does not think in the manner you suggest. The ARC chip does not care or consider how much you refill or what cartridge it is attached to.

My understanding of ARC chips is they reset either

1) Whenever you take the cartridge out of the print head regardless of ink volume left over.
or
2) You must wait for the chip to declare the cartridge low or empty and then remove the cartridge.

According to Precision Colors instruction for refilling, you must wait until you see a "?" about the cartridge in the ink level monitoring window/screen before refilling it. If you do not wait then the chip will not reset and the chip will continue to count down sprays until it reaches its mathematical conclusion (independent of the volume of ink in the cartridge). This would be scenario #2 from above.

Take a look at the refilling instructions on Precision Colors.

What precisely did you do/ see when you refilled?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
because the ARC thinks the cart is the aftermarket one and takes into consideration 55ml as full, while it is now 35ml... Any thoughts?
A cartridge chip whether it’s from an OEM cart or aftermarket cart can’t tell anything, its dumb, it doesn’t know which cart its sitting on, and until they settle down the ink level part will up to you.

Can you post a Pic (Close up) of one of your ARC chips before you install them in your printer, there is a difference in ARC chips, so is it similar to this one ?...

Capture44.PNG click to enlarge...

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
According to Precision Colors instruction for refilling, you must wait until you see a "?" about the cartridge in the ink level monitoring window/screen before refilling it. If you do not wait then the chip will not reset and the chip will continue to count down sprays until it reaches its mathematical conclusion (independent of the volume of ink in the cartridge). This would be scenario #2 from above.

Take a look at the refilling instructions on Precision Colors.

What precisely did you do/ see when you refilled?
Look, the carts I removed were 3/4 full, I could not certainly wait to finish the ink with those carts, they were a disaster.
So what you are saying is that at a certain point, the printer will tell me that I am out of ink, but in reality that won't be the case.
I assume, at that point, all I need to do is to refill the OEM tank to full so that the chip will be in sync with the level of ink. Am I correct?

Printer ARC chip.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I assume, at that point, all I need to do is to refill the OEM tank to full so that the chip will be in sync with the level of ink. Am I correct?
Yes. If you have more ink than what the chip registers then you will be prompted that the cartridge is low and to act and you would not run out of ink before the chip alerts you.

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Yes. If you have more ink than what the chip registers then you will be prompted that the cartridge is low and to act and you would not run out of ink before the chip alerts you.
Perfect, so it is just a question to wait for the printer to report the out of ink, and then, once ARC and ink are leveled, they should be in sync.
Now, I want to see how the printer behaves when printing after one or two days, hopefully the problem has been resolved. The nozzle check is perfect, but I will print another one tomorrow to verify if it is still perfect.

Keep you posted folks.

Thank you!
Alex