Looking for a Single Use Printer

chzuck

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson C88
Ever since I have had a PC, I have used Epson printers and scanners. It appears Epson has abandoned the single use home printer. So, looking for other brand recommendations. I do some printing of photos and make my own decals for vintage equipment. So I need one that uses inks that will last in color and quality. So, I have a Canon camera, what are some good Canon printers that will suit my needs. Don't need wide format.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The Epson U.S. website does not offer a printer comparable to the WF-2110W - printer only wihout a scanner, and with Durabrite pigment inks.

The lowest offering by Epson US with pigment inks - Durabrite - is the WF-3820 - a combo unit with a scanner. It appears to be offered with a pretty steep discount at this time.

The lowest end WF-28XX models run with a pigment black and CMY dye inks

Last edited:

chzuck

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson C88
Thank you. Finding that Epson has abandoned the kind of printer I want, I looked into Canon, since I have one of their cameras. Any thoughts on a PIXMA G1230 Inkjet Printer?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
This Canon printer uses CMY dye inks + a pigment black; I think you first should check which ink type you need - dye or pigment; your old C88 was running with pigment inks. You may try to find somebody who could help you to print your decals on a dye ink printer so you can check if they withstand the typical intended usage .

Last edited:

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
Thank you. Finding that Epson has abandoned the kind of printer I want, I looked into Canon, since I have one of their cameras. Any thoughts on a PIXMA G1230 Inkjet Printer?
Fade resistance for the dye cmy+ pigment black megatanks has been tested here somewhere(will link if i can find it) to be poor(no better than cheap thirdparty ink) so you might want to upgrade to the six-ink units (or atleast switch the inks for the latter) even then fade resistance may not be comparable to your old pigment c88.

Unless you are anticipating an increase in printing duties over the c88 or the cartridges on the old printer were already too small for your workflow to begin with i'd probably reccomend considering the scanner-equipped models (if not a hard requirement) first over an ink-tank equipped model. The ink-tank carries a large price premium over its' nontank equivalent. They can also be more temperamental when it comes to lack of use compared to a cartridge-based printer that it may end up costing more in ink costs if not end up more inconvinient to maintain. Don't get me wrong i'm happy with our tank-based unit but i don't think they are for everyone.

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I had to read twice to understand what a single use printer was: I was thinking about a disposable printer that you throw away when the ink runs out.:lol:

You should have called it mono-functional or single-function.

chzuck

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson C88
The Epson U.S. website does not offer a printer comparable to the WF-2110W - printer only wihout a scanner, and with Durabrite pigment inks.

The lowest offering by Epson US with pigment inks - Durabrite - is the WF-3820 - a combo unit with a scanner. It appears to be offered with a pretty steep discount at this time.

The lowest end WF-28XX models run with a pigment black and CMY dye inks
There is a Epson Workforce 4820 a year old near me for sale. Any thoughts on that one. Looks like I will have to go with all in one. The pigment ink is more important.

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
it
There is a Epson Workforce 4820 a year old near me for sale. Any thoughts on that one. Looks like I will have to go with all in one. The pigment ink is more important.
It depends on how much cheaper it is than a $130 new one and if the seller is willing to provide atleast a test print or two of the unit and/or a warranty.

chzuck

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson C88
it

It depends on how much cheaper it is than a $130 new one and if the seller is willing to provide atleast a test print or two of the unit and/or a warranty.
Thank you for your reply. I checked on an Epson certified renew and for $90 I can get the same thing with a year warranty. I may just go that way.