List of Pigment Ink Printers

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Not having a pigment ink based printer, I am not familiar with the models and their reference numbers. Many times I have seen posts referring to an unfamiliar printer, and I have wondered which type they are.

So I was pleased when I came across the following, by www.redrivercatalog.com, which listed all the pigment printers, with the comment that if it's not here, then its not pigment based.

Epson

Canon

HP

Other

• Kodak ESP Series
  • Kodak Hero Series
I wonder if @Ink stained Fingers can be persuaded to add a star rating, showing his rating of the printers. When we accumulate enough comments I will update the list.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Add for Canon:

MX7600 (A4 all-in-one version of the IX7000)
MAXIFY series

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I wonder if @Ink stained Fingers can be persuaded to add a star rating, showing his rating of the best printers. When we accumulate enough comments I will update the list.
I think there are too many variables - technical, pricing, handling which makes such rating impossible to put into just one number, I don't think there is a 'best' printer whatever is implied with this rating. If there would be a best printer I would only have one..... and not several of those. And it would complicate the rating if I start telling you that I may run an Epson dye printer with pigment inks or vice versa - like a R265 with pigment inks or a WF2010W with dye inks or......

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Let's try another approach.

With the title that this site has, many people visit in the hope that they will find recommendations on which printers to consider when they are about to purchase.

I have always felt that there is little help given without examining hundreds of threads and forming their own speculative opinion.

So, If YOU have experience of any of these printers, please identify which model and based on your opinion, give it a rating of one to five stars (one poor, five the best). If you have any specific comments please add them.

As the ratings accumulate, we will be able to average the ratings, edit the list and add the stars to the primary list.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Redriver focuses on photo printers.
Some office printers already have been added.
Both have their own strenghts, IMO the ideal situation is to have both (I had this for a long time with the PRO9500, IX7000/MX7600 sharing the same cartridges and ink).

Although the ideal allrounder does not exist, most office oriented printers (and in particular all-in-ones) are quite good in photo printing, and dedicated photo printers are very lousy for office (no double-side, slow, no paper cassette ...).

My personal quotes:

PRO9500: 3,5 (high ink consumption)
PRO9500II: 4,5 (if you still can find one)
IX7000, MX7600: 3,5 (same remark)
Maxify: 4,5

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
All Epson printers are pigment ink capable, even those originally working with dye ink. For example the Epson 1400/1500W printers.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
All Epson printers are pigment ink capable, even those originally working with dye ink.
Yes, that applies in both directions - you could run the Durabrite /Workforce models as well on dye inks, with a 2nd refill cartridge set, you just need to understand that the glossy paper settings don't use the black ink channel but only the matte paper setting. And you may need to get color profiles when switching ink types to compensate for color shifts.
I'm running an L382 tank system model with pigment inks since a while w/o problems as well. I had/have quite a lot of Epson printers, and they all did their job well within the limitation of the printheads - drop size, number of nozzles and the drivers -e.g. no borderless option . And if a printer failed then either by overload or I was tinkering around with inks, refill etc .So I don't really have a real preferred model to name

Last edited:

Latest posts