1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Health & Safety and 3D Printing.
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

List of Pigment Ink Printers

Discussion in 'Everything Else InkJet Printer Related' started by Emulator, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Nov 22, 2017
    Emulator

Emulator Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro9000 II
    Not having a pigment ink based printer, I am not familiar with the models and their reference numbers. Many times I have seen posts referring to an unfamiliar printer, and I have wondered which type they are.

So I was pleased when I came across the following, by www.redrivercatalog.com, which listed all the pigment printers, with the comment that if it's not here, then its not pigment based.

Epson

Canon

HP

Other

• Kodak ESP Series
    • Kodak Hero Series
    I wonder if @Ink stained Fingers can be persuaded to add a star rating, showing his rating of the printers. When we accumulate enough comments I will update the list.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Angelo G, stratman and The Hat like this.
  2. Nov 22, 2017
    palombian

palombian Printer Master

Printer Model:
    Pro9500II, MAXIFY MB5350
    Add for Canon:

MX7600 (A4 all-in-one version of the IX7000)
    MAXIFY series

3. Nov 22, 2017
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    Done ...:thumbsup
    @Emulator, does this mean you’ve been looking to get a pigment printer.. :D

4. Nov 22, 2017
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    L310/382/1800, P400, Pro7600
    I think there are too many variables - technical, pricing, handling which makes such rating impossible to put into just one number, I don't think there is a 'best' printer whatever is implied with this rating. If there would be a best printer I would only have one..... and not several of those. And it would complicate the rating if I start telling you that I may run an Epson dye printer with pigment inks or vice versa - like a R265 with pigment inks or a WF2010W with dye inks or......

apetitphoto and The Hat like this.
  5. Dec 2, 2017
    Emulator

Emulator Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro9000 II
    Let's try another approach.

With the title that this site has, many people visit in the hope that they will find recommendations on which printers to consider when they are about to purchase.

I have always felt that there is little help given without examining hundreds of threads and forming their own speculative opinion.

So, If YOU have experience of any of these printers, please identify which model and based on your opinion, give it a rating of one to five stars (one poor, five the best). If you have any specific comments please add them.

As the ratings accumulate, we will be able to average the ratings, edit the list and add the stars to the primary list.

The Hat likes this.
  6. Dec 2, 2017
    palombian

palombian Printer Master

Printer Model:
    Pro9500II, MAXIFY MB5350
    Redriver focuses on photo printers.
    Some office printers already have been added.
    Both have their own strenghts, IMO the ideal situation is to have both (I had this for a long time with the PRO9500, IX7000/MX7600 sharing the same cartridges and ink).

Although the ideal allrounder does not exist, most office oriented printers (and in particular all-in-ones) are quite good in photo printing, and dedicated photo printers are very lousy for office (no double-side, slow, no paper cassette ...).

My personal quotes:

PRO9500: 3,5 (high ink consumption)
    PRO9500II: 4,5 (if you still can find one)
    IX7000, MX7600: 3,5 (same remark)
    Maxify: 4,5

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  7. Dec 2, 2017
    pharmacist

pharmacist Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Epson Pro 3880, P800, WF-7525
    All Epson printers are pigment ink capable, even those originally working with dye ink. For example the Epson 1400/1500W printers.

The Hat likes this.
  8. Dec 2, 2017
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    L310/382/1800, P400, Pro7600
    Yes, that applies in both directions - you could run the Durabrite /Workforce models as well on dye inks, with a 2nd refill cartridge set, you just need to understand that the glossy paper settings don't use the black ink channel but only the matte paper setting. And you may need to get color profiles when switching ink types to compensate for color shifts.
    I'm running an L382 tank system model with pigment inks since a while w/o problems as well. I had/have quite a lot of Epson printers, and they all did their job well within the limitation of the printheads - drop size, number of nozzles and the drivers -e.g. no borderless option . And if a printer failed then either by overload or I was tinkering around with inks, refill etc .So I don't really have a real preferred model to name

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017