leaking cartridges

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
after years of removing the OEM ball in the fill hole and using silicone plugs (CLI and 220 carts), i got lazy and left the ball in place and drilled a hole for the plug in the little dimple on top of the cartridge next to the factory ball, this created a problem when i shipped several cartridges and they leaked, it turns out that the cartridge wall on top is too thin for the plug to seal properly, the hole where the ball sits is almost like a tube extending into the cartridge giving the plug more area to seal against, so my next attempt was to seal the top fill hole with aluminum tape that is used for duct work, this was going to be 2 fold, quicker and better seal and no top clearance issue. well the tape did not do a very good job, i had cartridges leak and the magenta leaked into the yellow contaminating it, i had to flush and refill the yellow, i quess what i am trying to say is if you have something that works and it isn't broke don't fix it, also in the future when i mail any cartridges out of town i am going to use black electrical tape over the vent hole just to counter any air pressure variances, just an FYI

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
just a quick note.

Have you thought about using hot glue? If you would like to give it a try I can tell you how to do my coin/paper disc method. The resulting top fill plug cap is less than 1/16" high--perfect for printers with low clearance problems.

Thank you

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mrelmo said:
i have a hot glue gun what is with the coin n paper
I too usually drill a small hole back from the OEM ball because I found it more convenient
and I could then reseal my refill hole easier using a lot less hot glue..:)

5128_carts_2.png

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
interesting how hard is it to clean the glue out and does a percentage fall into the reservoir, would it help to use a small tea cup hook (the screw end) to pull the glue plug out

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: mrelmo

per reply #6

If you use my coin/paper disc method you will have no need of a small tea cup hook. The paper disc keeps the glue out of the hole--nice and simple!!!!

Thank you.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mrelmo said:
interesting how hard is it to clean the glue out and does a percentage fall into the reservoir, would it help to use a small tea cup hook (the screw end) to pull the glue plug out
To remove the glue from over the hole I just put the blade of a disposable knife under the edge of the glue and lift gently
if it fails to move then I change the blade position 180 Degrees which usually does the trick.

When I used the OEM refill hole it was always hard to get the glue out of the hole without dropping bits of the glue into the reservoir
thats way I now use a much smaller hole for refilling and my problem was solved, (some of my older carts still have glue bits inside them)..:)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
All that mess with glue globs and holes not properly sealed and glue bits inside the cartridge. Luckily I am using the German Durchstich refill method for my Canon cartridges. No leaks, no problems with not properly sealed plugs and asking the best way how to remove the plug and leaking ink during refill sessions due to improper sealing of the ink outlet opening.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
mrelmo said:
...in the future when i mail any cartridges out of town i am going to use black electrical tape over the vent hole just to counter any air pressure variances, just an FYI
I don't recommend sealing the vent hole, especially when you're shipping cartridges. See this thread:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2097