Is there a RIP software that fully supports the R2000?

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Hi Soberprint,

Many thanks for the tip. Do you think it is possible to redirect my Epson Pro 3880 to include a gloss optimizer and both blacks loaded simultaneously. I want to remove the light colors and use the following configuration:

Gloss optimizer
Matte Black
Photo Black
Grey
Vivid Magenta
Orange
Cyan
Yellow

I see the Epson Pro 3880 is supported by the software. Unfortunately my Epson 1500W is not (maybe I could choose the 1410 ?).
@ pharmasist that looks interesting, 3880 is 8 colour printer, why do you include pk and mk in your 8 chosen colours please?

Cheers
Andrew

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 2400, 1400, 3520, 410
Epson's been undergoing some internal re-configuring in the later set of printers. Remember, it all dates back to the old dot matrix commands. We're lucky that Epsons are kind of dumb on the inside and rely on software to do all the magic. I have an Epson 3520 that's wasn't on the list so I had to do a "print to a file" with the OEM driver to find some of the new commands needed. It helps to be a geek.

My 2400 is configured VM,vm,Cc, Y,Mk,Pk and GO. The blacks, are selected by drop down box in the GUI. (I had found another printer that already had that and copied it my new XML.) The glop is a special "black" I created in an XML file.

I'm sure your 1500 is very doable. One thing, because linearizing is so difficult, I have never been able to quite achieve the gamut volume of the Epson driver but that doesn't bother me. The fact that you have complete control of ink densities, black/gray generation, print resolution, interleaving and dithering not to mention the other 100 or so other adjustments to play with makes for a lot of enjoyable learning (and sometimes frustration).

Maury

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
@ pharmasist that looks interesting, 3880 is 8 colour printer, why do you include pk and mk in your 8 chosen colours please?

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

There is a reason to choose these colors:

Both matte and photo black to prevent the ink spilling and time consuming change to one the blacks. Gloss optimizer to neutralize gloss differential and bronzing. As the Epson R2000 does print very nice without light colors (variable droplet technology), so doing so will save a lot of ink. Als the introduction of the grey cartridge to enable Advanced Black and White printing and the orange combined with the vivid magenta to obtain the same gamut as the orange, red and magenta of the R1900/R2000. The R1900/R2000 does not have grey ink like the Epson R2880/R30000, but it has gloss optimizer and both blacks loaded simultaneously.. So it actually combining the best of the R1900/R2000 with the R2880/R3000. Do you understand my choice of colors ?

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
So, am I seeing enough initial interest in Gutenprint RIP that we should start a new topic just for this? There are a few anomalies in the latest compile that I could explain and perhaps make up some getting started instructions so your first attempt isn't disastrous. I'm new at forum software (I don't twitter or tweet on any of the others) so bear with me at my attempts at doing things correctly. Having both blacks installed (with no purging) and a dedicated gloss channel is the biggest benefit in my book. I don't miss the 2 grays at all.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Soberprinter,

since you are quite familiar with this Gutenprint RIP, I would greatly appreciate if you could write a topic with the basics of GutenPrint and how to choose a particular color to be used in a particular channel to be driven by the RIP.
Many thanks.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Hi Andrew,

There is a reason to choose these colors:

Both matte and photo black to prevent the ink spilling and time consuming change to one the blacks. Gloss optimizer to neutralize gloss differential and bronzing. As the Epson R2000 does print very nice without light colors (variable droplet technology), so doing so will save a lot of ink. Als the introduction of the grey cartridge to enable Advanced Black and White printing and the orange combined with the vivid magenta to obtain the same gamut as the orange, red and magenta of the R1900/R2000. The R1900/R2000 does not have grey ink like the Epson R2880/R30000, but it has gloss optimizer and both blacks loaded simultaneously.. So it actually combining the best of the R1900/R2000 with the R2880/R3000. Do you understand my choice of colors ?
@pharmasist

Very clever, almost like Photo jazz :thumbsup thank you for the explanation AND the thinking behind it...........much appreciated.

Andrew

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model