Is there a RIP software that fully supports the R2000?

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
I'm not sure what I'm thinking is even possible, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can help.

Recently one of my R2000s stopped printing one color (Cyan) entirely. I tried cleaning several times, it didn't work.
I asked an Epson technician to take a look, he suggested replacing the printhead (although that'll cost more than buying a new printer :( )

So what I'm thinking is, since I never use the matte black and the gloss optimizer, is there some program that could let me use one of those two channels in the place of the Cyan (for instance fill the gloss optimizer tank with cyan and have a profile made with that configuration)?.
Is there any RIP that can do custom inkset profiling and supports the R2000?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I am actually searching for something similar to convert my Epson R300 in the following configuration:

Photo/Matte Black channel > gloss optimizer
Light Black > matte black
Light Light Black > photo black
Cyan > Cyan
Vivid Magenta > Vivid Magenta
Light Cyan > Grey
Light Magenta > Orange
Yellow > Yellow

So actually interbreeding the R2000 and R3000 into a single machine: the best of both worlds.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
If one color stops the cause is often an air lock.

Hoe to repair it:
-fill a syringe with 2 ml of cleaning fluid for print heads.
-remove the ink cartridge
-place the syringe directly on to the ink connector, don't use a needle. Some newer printers need a piece of tube between the connector and the seringe. With the connector I mean the part that normally goes into the cartridge.
-then slowly push the cleaning fluid into the print head. Ink residue and an airlock will be flushed out of the nozzles.
-remove the syringe and let the fluid rest for some minutes in the print head.
-put the cartridge back and make a test print. The first print will be a bit bleach, there is still cleaning fluid in the head.

I red this remedy some time ago on this forum. I successfully used it.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
I did flush my R800 directly with the corresponding color. Black and Blue was clogged
worked like a charm

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Do not flush the newer printhead with this technique using "high" pressure. The newer heads can delaminate and get destroyed...colors begin leaking across channels inside the printhead. Printers up to the R1800 generation can normally take these pressures. Do this with caution. YMMV.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
costadinos said:
I'm not sure what I'm thinking is even possible, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can help.

Recently one of my R2000s stopped printing one color (Cyan) entirely. I tried cleaning several times, it didn't work.
I asked an Epson technician to take a look, he suggested replacing the printhead (although that'll cost more than buying a new printer :( )
Did you let the Cyan run out of ink before this happened? If you did it may be just a matter that the Cyan cartridge needs to be primed. This happened to many of my Epson printers quite a few times. Of course this is just one possibility.

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
I tried all the above suggestions, nothing worked. The problem is almost certainly mechanical...

pharmacist said:
I am actually searching for something similar to convert my Epson R300 in the following configuration:

Photo/Matte Black channel > gloss optimizer
Light Black > matte black
Light Light Black > photo black
Cyan > Cyan
Vivid Magenta > Vivid Magenta
Light Cyan > Grey
Light Magenta > Orange
Yellow > Yellow

So actually interbreeding the R2000 and R3000 into a single machine: the best of both worlds.
If you manage to do this (which is pretty much what I was thinking), there would be much more interesting things to try, say "convert" a cheap P50 to a CMYK+Red+Orange, essentially an R2000...

Do let us know if you find a way to do that!

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Any updates on this?

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 2400, 1400, 3520, 410
If you are on the cheap, like I am, then Gutenprint or WinGP (for Windows) works very well. It has allowed me to reconfigure my Epson
2400 to my needs. I sacrificed the 2 grays for having both matte and glossy blacks installed and a gloss optimizer channel with no
switching out.

The software is a universal printer driver replacement for Linux and similar operating systems but the core of it is a fully configurable
RIP, with WAY TOO MANY parameters configurable. A very clever Russian gentleman has ported it to Windows. It does require you
to use either a 32bit version of Photoshop or Gimp to print as printing is done through an export filter (provided). If you do not use either
of these editing programs then I'm afraid this won't help.

All the configuration files in the program are in XLM files. Documentation isn't bad but it also isn't very complete. A lot of questions are
answered by the forums or experimentation. It's not a click and print program, but with a lot of "geek" time spent, it's results are
excellent.

This isn't a polished product but it does have an intuitive GUI and what isn't configurable in the GUI is available to change in the XMLs
(if you can figure them out). The 2000 is supported.

Gutenprint is the basis for Quad Tone RIP.

If interested search for "Google code WINGP"......free is good!

Attachments

• Wingp-GUI.jpg
    Wingp-GUI.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 451

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Soberprint,

Many thanks for the tip. Do you think it is possible to redirect my Epson Pro 3880 to include a gloss optimizer and both blacks loaded simultaneously. I want to remove the light colors and use the following configuration:

Gloss optimizer
Matte Black
Photo Black
Grey
Vivid Magenta
Orange
Cyan
Yellow

I see the Epson Pro 3880 is supported by the software. Unfortunately my Epson 1500W is not (maybe I could choose the 1410 ?).