Is there a place to buy Genuine Canon ink in bulk?

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Obviously, I have always used the typical Amazon link when i buy genuine Canon ink.

http://amazon.com/dp/B00ATZ9K02

But i'm just wondering if there is some "bulk order" button buried on the Canon website someplace where I could buy in bulk?

e.g. If i really wanted the genuine stuff, do i gott pay 55 bucks each time?

thanks!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
if there is some "bulk order" button buried on the Canon website
No, unless you mean buying multiples of the same color cartridge.

However, you may be able to use Canon OEM Megatank ink that comes in bottles and save money refilling. That's one of the ways to get Canon "bulk" ink. It's not the best ink they make but it is better than aftermarket inks, particularly Dye-based inks, and it is less likely to clog than any aftermarket ink.

You have not revealed what your printer model is, but, if you use the PGI-250 Pigment Black and CLI-251 CYM Dye-based inks that you linked to then the Canon GI-20 Megatank ink bottles would be a choice in the USA. The GI-20 Black is Pigment Black (170 ml) and the GI-20 C Y M are dye-based (70 ml each). You will need to refill your OEM cartridges and get a chip resetter to maintain ink level monitoring. You can get several refills per bottle.

Capacity of the OEM PGI/CLI - 25x cartridge line:

1631747812348.png

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART163199

What do you give up? Maybe a little color matching out of the box and better archiving characteristics. Otherwise great Canon quality.

Last edited:

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No, unless you mean buying multiples of the same color cartridge.

However, you may be able to use Canon OEM Megatank ink that comes in bottles and save money refilling. That's one of the ways to get Canon "bulk" ink. It's not the best ink they make but it is better than aftermarket inks, particularly Dye-b
What do you give up? Maybe a little color matching out of the box and better archiving characteristics. Otherwise great Canon quality.

hi, its the Canon Pixma iX6820

I'm ok with buying many of the same color.

Are you saying i should buy this, but then get the ink out of the bottle and put it into a refillable cartridge? Is that possible?

http://amazon.com/dp/B0101SY4GQ

Don't those Canon bottles have that weird top to them?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
its the Canon Pixma iX6820
Your printer has one PGI-250 Pigment Black cartridge and 4 CLI-251 Dye-based CYMBk cartridges.

The GI-20 bulk inks have the ink you need except for the replacement CLI-251 Black. There is no GI-20 cartridge that is a Dye-based Black, just a GI-20 Pigment Black like your PGI-250.

put it into a refillable cartridge?
You could but it is forum recommendation to use the OEM Canon cartridges to refill if possible as they are typically more dependable.

Yes, those are the Dye-based inks. There is also a GI-20 Pigment Black bottle you can find on Amazon.

Don't those epson bottles have that weird top to them?
Yes they do but Epson has nothing to do with Canon. The unique shapes of each bottle top for both Epson and Canon are so you do not empty them into the wrong tank. They fit like a key in a lock. You would use a syringe and needle to transfer ink from bottle to cartridge. Don't forget a chip resetter.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Your printer has one PGI-250 Pigment Black cartridge and 4 CLI-251 Dye-based CYMBk cartridges.
Oops I meant "canon" not "epson" above.

Yikes this sounds like an involved process. The point of buying the genuine ink in bulk was to avoid messing with the refilling process. (I'm not a very good refilling technician still.)

Ideally, we just want to print and throw the cartridge in the trash when its empty. But all the non-Canon cartridges we purchased on Amazon have faded in the sun after only 2 weeks. (And not even direct sun.)

We were never able to find a company that made Canon cartridges that don't fade. (Except Canon themselves.) Do you know of one?

Above you mentioned "unless you mean buying multiples of the same color cartridge." Is that a viable option?
I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks for a bulk buy of several of the same color.

Thanks!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
We were never able to find a company that made Canon cartridges that don't fade. (Except Canon themselves.) Do you know of one?
My answer is still the same as it was on April 26, 2021.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...s-with-good-lightfastness-rating-exist.14676/

There are two answers to what "bulk ink" qualifies as to us consumers:
  • A relatively large quantity of ink in a single container. Refilling required.
  • Many of the same cartridge color purchased or stored at one time. No refilling required.
The latter option is if you buy a number of the same item at the same time, eg 10 Magenta CLI-250 cartridges purchased at the same time. If the business has them to sell then you can buy as many as you want, or they allow, at a single time. (Covid-caused shortages excepted)

If you want the real deal and all the benefits it brings then you have to buy the real thing:

Canon.
There is no substitute.​

If you are in the USA then check out Staples. You can get 20% back on ink (or whatever the amount is now) to spend at Staples in the future and $2 for each empty cartridge you turn in for recycling. It's not much, and may be a net loser if you don't spend the Rewards credits in the future, but it is a way to save some money. Ask Staples all your questions about their program

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
However, you may be able to use Canon OEM Megatank ink that comes in bottles and save money refilling. That's one of the ways to get Canon "bulk" ink. It's not the best ink they make but it is better than aftermarket inks,
If you go for refill you can use these megatank inks indeed but please be aware - Canon does not tell you - that they ship different quality inks with different megatank printers. The best inks in respect to longevity are the bottled inks for the G620/650 model and forget the inks for the model series G2000/3000 , pricing is somewhat similar but the longevity performance is vastly different. The inks for the G620 are the same Chromalife 100 inks as listed above by @stratman in posting #2 and used in these cartridges.

Canon.
There is no substitute.

with these G620 inks - or with the genuine cartridges for your printer using the Chromalife 100 inks. No Amazon etc substitute of these cartidges can match the Chromalife 100 performance.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you are in the USA then check out Staples. You can get 20% back on ink (or whatever the amount is now) to spend at Staples in the future and $2 for each empty cartridge you turn in for recycling. It's not much, and may be a net loser if you don't spend the Rewards credits in the future, but it is a way to save some money. Ask Staples all your questions about their program

That's true you helped me a lot !

I looked into Staples.

It looks like they do give 25% back. But it's on your Staples Reward card. So I think it's store credit. But still, 25% is a lot if you spend 1000 bucks.
I could probably let it build up, buy a Staples laptop, and then sell it on eBay for cash.
hah
that'd be one way to get the 25% cash back.
It does say "Limit 4" though on the website. So I guess once I get my 25% refund four times, I can't put anymore ink refunds back on my Staples card.

https://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/products/190421/dg19435/

hmm

Maybe i could find a local printer repair shop that has a wholesale license that I could make a deal with or something....

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The best inks in respect to longevity are the bottled inks for the G620/650 model and forget the inks for the model series G2000/3000 , pricing is somewhat similar but the longevity performance is vastly different. The inks for the G620 are the same Chromalife 100
True! Thanks ISF.

The MegaTank G620 printer uses GI-23 inks are Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Red, and Gray. ALL are Dye-based and advertised as ChromaLife 100 inks. This would cover his 4 Dye-based ink needs.

OP would need any other GI-XX series Black to get his Pigment Black, such as the GI-20, GI-21, GI-26 (used in the Maxify), or GI-291. All these series have a Pigment Black.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Maybe i could find a local printer repair shop that has a wholesale license that I could make a deal with or something....
Let us know how things turn out. Happy printing.

Latest posts