Is it dead - Canon Pixma Pro 10-S, 26 flashes, error 6700

keat63

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 10-S
Guys

Has anyone successfully flashed an eeprom.
I'm being very naive here, but I can pick up a programmer for as little as £5.00
Having never flashed an eeprom, i wouldn't know where to start though, so where could I get the firmware, could a copy be saved from a working machine using the service tool etc.

Happy to be a gunnie pig if anyone has any thoughts or ideas.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Happy to be a gunnie pig if anyone has any thoughts or ideas.
You still don’t get it, this was no accident, it’s a setup to catch anyone out when they try to go under the hood of their printer, because it’s a deliberate trap to prevent you.

Your EPROM chip is now inaccessible and unresponsive to everyone and can only be revived with a special software code while the printer is still in Service Mode, where the EPROM chips memory can be analysed and reprogramed..

The old way of doing this was to expose the EPROM chip to a UV light source first, and then reprogram it again if you had the firmware, but Canon jealously guards this information which is very strongly copyright..

P.S. I travelled 95k to the Service centre and back each time but it was worth it to get the printer back, because I was aware of the draw backs when a courier takes it.

P.S. where is the battery located for future reference..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
These batteries seem to have a shelf life of 10 years. Without any charge applied.
Will the printer give a warning when the voltage drops under a certain level ?
Is it possible to replace it - eventually proactive - when the printer is on the mains ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Good thinking @palombian.
I wonder too. The fact that Canon says nothing about the battery on the printer's manual makes me believe that they don't intend to allow the user to change it when the times comes. Sort of lifespan limit for the machine, unless you keep it plugged to the mains permanently, even with a UPS to prevent power failures.
It's the first time I've heard about this matter until @keat63 opened this thread, so I gather that this battery must last for years, maybe more than 10 ?. Most computer motherboards rely also on a battery of this type to keep the BIOS settings. The difference is that if the battery dies, BIOS settings are reset to default but the EEPROM isn't affected.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Is it possible to replace it - eventually proactive - when the printer is on the mains ?
I wouldn’t say you’ll have any problems replacing the battery, it’s a matter of removing the clips on the top cover, and leaving the top cover in place loosely, next plug the printer back into wall socket then proceed with the battery removal..

But before I’d unplug the printer again I’d leave the top cover loosely on top again and power on the printer as a caution where you can check if your installation was successful, i.e. no on screen messages of pending doom like..
@palombian, your turn to be the Guinee pig this time.. :duc
P.S. I can't do it, I don't have the Pro 10...:)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The fact that Canon says nothing about the battery on the printer's manual makes me believe that they don't intend to allow the user to change it when the times comes. Sort of lifespan limit for the machine It's the first time I've heard about this matter until @keat63 opened this thread..
Canon have become very Cunning and its obvious they don’t want you interfering with the insides of your printer, it’s their way of getting you to buy a new printer, @keat63 was caught because no one knew of this hidden time bomb, but thanks to him we know better..

There is no reason why the Pro 10 can’t go on for more than ten years, and the Pro 300 is a very unfriendly replacement for Refillers.. it too has a concealed battery and a few other niceties hidden inside..

P.S. The Pro 1 was the first printer to have this incendiary installed..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
It would be nice if a corageous guinee pig took pictures, or even a video, of the battery change procedure. Maybe after finding the exact place where it's located, it would be possible to make a neat hole in the printer`s shell to allow for an easy battery swap next time. Aesthetical damages to the printer would be fixed by 3D printing a removable lid to cover the hole.
One can dream ... and probably the battery will outlive the printer ( or the user, in my case. :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Maybe after finding the exact place where it's located, it would be possible to make a neat hole in the printer`s shell to allow for an easy battery swap next time. Aesthetical damages to the printer would be fixed by 3D printing a removable lid to cover the hole.
I love your enthusiasm and the ideas that you can make a hole in the top shell and fix it with a 3D designed part, you have certainly taken the 3D world to heart in such a short time.. Congratulations..:hugs