Is it dead - Canon Pixma Pro 10-S, 26 flashes, error 6700

keat63

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 10-S
The story goes, that I was a break/fix engineer for about 10 years, fixing PC's and Printers.

Recently my fathers Pixma Pro 10-s developed a print quality issue, so he repalced the print head.
When this didn't fix it, he decided that he would send away to a third party repairer to take a look at.

During transit, the ink tanks must have spilled, the third party repairer didn't even look at it, just reported the ink spill and sent it back BER.

When it came back, I removed the covers to inspect the extent of the contamination before powering it back up.
During this strip down, I removed the top clam shell, which of course pulls the battery.
I didn't think anything of it at the time, however, I've since learned that the eeprom is a live eeprom, so pulling the battery has now possibly erased the eeprom.

When powering up the printer, i recieve a flash sequemce of 26 amber flashes.
Windows reports error 6700, which possibly relates to RTC battery failure.

If I enter in to service mode, the printer goes through the correct motions.

Yesterday I bought a copy of 5204 service tool, but when i try to do anything I get error 006.
Cannot set the time either.

I did try to use 3200 and 3400 versions of the service tool prior to this, but I also got error 006.
I also found on here that earlier versions of the service tool could lock th eeprom, although like I mentioned, I've only ever seen error 006. (or 005 when the printer is initialising service mode)
Before I give up on this all together as a total loss, can anyone offer anything ?

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Thanks for reporting your interventions, we all can learn.

First of all: using older service tools do block later access. V5204 is the one to use. No idea if the service tool could solve the battery issue.

Shipping a used printer is an hazardous enterprise.

Please specify what you mean by "removed the top clam shell, which of course pulls the battery", so we can pay attention to this by dismantling.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Before I give up on this all together as a total loss, can anyone offer anything ?
My heart goes out to you for that silly mistake, but you weren’t know that the stupid battery was present and what might happen if you disconnect it, and from what you have described you have done all the necessary things correctly bar that one..

I wasn’t aware that the older Pro 10’s had a battery present, but now that we know, your actions might now save someone else’s printer from the trash with a similar issue.

I know it’s not a great comfort to you because you have taken all the right steps to get the printer back working safely, and by keeping it powered off is standard procedure.

Without the battery connection the printer must have the power lead connected but not powered on to maintain the EPROM’s life support, but in your case that might have blown the shite out of the logic board, so it was a no win situation.. “Kobayashi Maru”

The only way the printer can now be brought back to like is with a new Memory installation and this can only be done by a Canon Authorised Agent, but the state the inside of the printer must be in, means it must be cleaned first.

If it’s any consolation to you, I sent my A3 printer back to Canon by courier and when they opened it in their service centre it too had the waste ink all over the insides, they refused to service it and it had to be sent to the trash, the printer had been transported upside down !..

P.S. I too disconnected the battery in my Pro 1 and I had to take it back to Canon for a new memory, so been there done that..

keat63

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 10-S
After removing all the decorative covers, the internals of the printer is in two halves.
The bottom half contains all the guts of the printer, the electronics, mechanicals etc.

The top half is only held on with a few push tangs (3 on each end).
The top then comes away revealing the actual internals.
However, the battery is fitted to this top half of the printer, with a ribbon cable to the logic board.

When I lifted the top, I had to remove the ribbon from the logic board.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
That is where you needed to reinstall the power plug to keep the memory active before removing the ribbon cable.. Canon are quite Hoors..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
After removing all the decorative covers, the internals of the printer is in two halves.
The bottom half contains all the guts of the printer, the electrocnics, mechanicals etc.

The top half is only held on with a few push tangs (3 on each end).
The top then comes away reveling the actual internals.
However, the battery is fitted to this top half of the printer, with a ribbon cable to the logic board.

Thanks, so there is no hazard in removing the (grey plastic) decorative covers.

I wonder how long an internal battery lives, in particular in a mothballed printer...

PS: TS mentioned a PRO-10S, no idea if there is a major hardware difference with the PRO-10. Maybe the addition of cloud connectivity needed a battery.

Last edited:

keat63

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 10-S
The top side covers (the ones between the corner pieces), are a pig to get off.
Remove those first (if you can)

In fact, I broke a couple of clips in doing so.
Even with the covers off, I couldn't see what was holding it.
Now that it's missing a few clips, they are pretty easy to refit and remove.

The corner covers have push tabs, so simple to get off.

The clam shell has 3 tangs at each end, one at the front, one at the side, one at the rear.
Dont disconnect the battery :)

I just got off the phone to an authorised Canon service centre.
He says that it would cost £60 to reflash the firmware, but there's no guarantee that it's not going to be man handled in transit in either direction, so it could be just as bad again as regards leakage.

And reflashing the firmware, doesn't guarantee that the original fault can be fixed.

I think one last evening with the service tool and then it's going in the bin :-(

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I wonder how long an internal battery lives, in particular in a mothballed printer...

PS: TS mentioned a PRO-10S, no idea if there is a major hardware difference with the PRO-10. Maybe the addition of cloud connectivity needed a battery.
Years... most likely for the lifetime of the printer.

I don’t reckon the battery has anything to do with the Cloud connectivity, because the new Pro 200/300 also come with battery’s, it just there to put refilling further out of reach..

But at least we now know the batter is present and we can take steps to prevent it from erasing the EPROM memory if we decide to fit a Printer Potty..

JUST KEEP the printer plugged in before removing the battery cable..

P.S. the Pro200/300 come with the current date and time already on the active EPROM when first powered on..

I think one last evening with the service tool and then it's going in the bin :-(
I just got off the phone to an authorised Canon service centre.
He says that it would cost £60 to reflash the firmware, but there's no guarantee that it's not going to be man handled in transit in either direction, so it could be jaut as bad again as regards leakage .I think one last evening with the service tool and then it's going in the bin :-(
It would be worth the cost because they are a great printer, but I would recommend you transport it there yourself to prevent a recurrence of the spillage..

The service Tool cannot communicate with a dead printer, there’s nobody home..

keat63

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 10-S
It does go through an intilisation process when putting in to service mode.
In fact, I'd go as far as to say if you didn't know any better, you'd think it was alive and normal.

Self delivery isn't an option, the repair centre is 200 miles away.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Years... most likely for the lifetime of the printer.

I don’t reckon the battery has anything to do with the Cloud connectivity, because the new Pro 200/300 also come with battery’s, it just there to put refilling further out of reach..

But at least we now know the batter is present and we can take steps to prevent it from erasing the EPROM memory if we decide to fit a Printer Potty..

JUST KEEP the printer plugged in before removing the battery cable..

P.S. the Pro200/300 come with the current date and time already on the active EPROM when first powered on..

It would be worth the cost because they are a great printer, but I would recommend you transport it there yourself to prevent a recurrence of the spillage..

The service Tool cannot communicate with a dead printer, there’s nobody home..
My PRO-10's are almost 10 years old...

I didn't find anything about a battery in the PRO-9500(II) maintenance manuals, so I suppose it didn't have one.

Will try to find a dead PRO-10 locally to experiment dismantling.