pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The next link will explain it in English:

http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=1830

You actually can combine those 2 methods and use a pan head silicon plug above the ink chamber, but filling done with the German Durchstich method. This is the combined method I'm using currently on my Pixma MP780. Then you would have the best of both worlds. Easy refilling without messy hands and availability to purge the sponge. However: during purging the liquid will escape from the refill hole too, so keep this in mind to avoid messy spills.

However: the Durchstichmethod is very reliable. There are guys already refilling their carts more than 10 times or even more without any need to purge the cartridge. There is an automatic equilibrium balance obtained with this method in the sponge chamber: there is almost no danger of oversaturating the sponge, as in the case using the traditional refill method through the ink chamber by which you have to squeeze 5-10 drops of ink after refilling to avoid banding in your printouts.

Try Hobbicolors or Inktec CLI-8 compatible ink. This is really great quality refill ink and Inktec is actually the ink recommended on the german druckerchannel.de site.

exxeroid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey, Pharmacist,
Thanks for the response and much needed info.
A couple more questions.
Users have talked about removing the plastic plug on the top of the cartridge as a refill hole. how is this done? I have always just punched it down into the chamber. What harm does this do?
Also, if one has an extra set of OEM carts and switches them back and forth, how do you seal the cart after it is refilled for later use?
Thanks,
Exxeroid.

iP4300

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pharmacist,
Thanks so much... your direct link to the English version at druckerchannel certainly surpasses the link I posted to have Google (poorly) translate from German to English... Much better translation!

I was also thinking that I would use the German method to refill, and then if the cartridges needed purging, add the hole and screw over the reservoir chamber also, combining the 2 methods.

Where have you gotten the pan head silicon plug from? (what size?)

Exxeroid,
People on this forum have seemed to think it was best to leave the original ball in refill hole alone, and make a separate hole over the reservoir.
MIS refill kits say to punch the ball into the reservoir, but folks on the forum have expressed concern about this damaging the rim of the hole, which could cause an incomplete seal (and leakage after refilling).

If you still want to remove the ball in the original hole, Lilla has instructions how to do it at :
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/sealing_canon_bci6.php

To store an extra set of OEM carts see:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4254#p4254

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi jru,

The silicon plugs are combined with the Hobbicolors ink package if you order them on Ebay. These plugs are very easy to use and reused time after time without any noticable wear. This must be done properly, otherwise the slightest leak will cause the ink to drip out the cartridge overtime and you will find your cartridge completely empty even you don't print much: that's the reason I turned to the German durchstichmethod, because you don't have to worry whether or not the refill hole is closed well or not.

One thing: i would not recommend to use an electric drill, but a thin metal pin (or even a thick and strong sewing needle) instead making the hole. This ensures that the refill hole will be as small as possible to let the needle enter this hole neatly when refilling. The smaller the hole the less the amount of excessive evaporation of water from the cartridge. After making the hole I remove any plastic remains from the hole until completely smooth. The hole should be very tiny, just enough to let the needle pass through it. The holes they show on druckerchannel.de are far to large for me and might contribute to much faster evaporation of ink if you don't print much or don't print over a long period of time.

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pharmacist,

Now I know what you mean. I have Hobbicolors refill kit with these plugs, but have not done a refill yet.
Did you use the metal pin (or pushpin, as Beetlenut suggested) to make the hole for the silicon plug as well (as the hole for refilling via the german method) --- or did you use the 7/64" drill bit as Hobbicolors recommended?

Beetlenut also suggested, as you did, making the refill hole just big enough for the needle to pass through, no bigger.
See his post on page 2 of this thread for some minor problems he had when hole was bigger than the needle: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=13321#p13321

I plan to put a piece of tape over the refill hole when I am done, even though it may not be necessary, to put the cartridge back the way it was originally.

thanks!

I

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
P.S.
I will wait until a cartridge needs a purge to install the Hobbicolors silicon plugs.

On this german method, this is the best picture I found...

1853_needleincartcu6b.jpg

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi jru, I'm using a thinner needle than the one depicted at the picture above. For making a hole above the ink chamber I use Dave's recommended 7/64" drill bit to make the hole, but not with an electric drill, because this causes alot of shavings which might fall into the cartridge. Instead I use a push pin, that is slowly rotated to make a smooth hole into the cartridge with a minimum of shavings created.

Make sure if you are using the durchstichmethod the needle to pierce through the sponge chamber is long enough as shown on the picture above. To minimize the amount of sponge to be pressed together when entering the needle, do make rotating movements with your syringe to move the needle into the right direction towards the ink chamber.

It can be used to refill all types of Canon cartridges like the older BCI-6/5/3 cartridges as well.

I only made the hole above the ink chamber for the BCI-6 cartridged in my Canon Pixma MP780 printer. The BCI-6 cartridges in my Canon i9950 are still untouched except for the tiny hole I made for refilling by the durchstichmethod.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Canon's E-Store web site shows ip4300 is on back order. This tells how popular ip4300 is and how poor Canon's marketing is as well.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Canon ip4500 is replacing ip4300 now. That's probably why ip4300 is disappearing in the market.

Milan18

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a problem as you can see with vertical lines. I'm printing a lot of images, and images start to look like that. If anyone can help me...?