ip4300

Beetlenut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Jru,

I had no problem pushing a blunt needle through. I keep the needle along the bottom of the cart, under the sponge.
The needle is visible while doing this and can be kept in a straight line. The reservoir hole is in the center & the needle will slide right in, you can see it.

I use a blunt needle rather than sharp cuz of an issue being brought up that a sharp point may cut the sponge but a blunt tip would push it aside.

Be aware that I've been using genuine Canon OEM carts for this type of refill as the exit port sponge doesn't protrude into the sponge chamber like the aftermarket carts, allowing the needle a clear path.

If others really want to know alot more on this method, read this thread starting with post #15 by Defcon2k.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=719&p=2

As well as the video links posted above by you, (Jru)

Smile,

As for your vacuum filling reply...I really still want to give this a try cuz I have a "Food Saver" vacuum storage machine with the vacuum bags & a couple vacuum storage containers that would be perfect to use with ink carts...I just feel that the vacuum method is better for filling more than one cart of the same color at one time. I feel the time, mess & clean up would be much more than sticking a needle into a cart & putting it right back into your printer. IMO. Not everybody has access to vacuum. I will still try it someday though.

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Beetlenut,

Thanks for your reply.

Good to know that the blunt needle works (that's what I have on hand).

The "German Method" of refilling does seem to have many advantages and seems attractive.

The only possible drawback may be that if the cartridges do ever need to be purged, there is no hole made in the top of the cartridge through which the purging water can be released. (Not sure the vent maze would be sufficient).

The vacuum method of course would eliminate any need for purging.
I'd love to hear how it goes for you if you ever get it going.

Best wishes,

jru

Beetlenut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Jru,

My thoughts as well, regarding the drawback of possible purging. I'm thinking when the time comes, I'll give it a try anyway & see what happens. It may just be a slow go with little holes or I may just purchase new carts at that time & start over. I'm keeping close count on the number of refills for each cart. Hoping I can be one of those who can brag about 20 or more refills without the need to purge! ;) (I read it's possible)

Right now I'm waiting for my order of bulk ink from Mikling/Precision Colors to do my 4th refill. Carts are 3/4-7/8 empty & I have quite a few pages of photo's to print.

Thank's to all

Best wishes to you as well, Jru

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Beetlenut,

I think I am going to try this method when my 1st round OEM cartridges run out.

Did you refill the first time as soon as the first "ink low" message appeared for each cart?

I very much like the push-pin tip on making the hole in the cartridge.... seems like a great idea.

Thanks!

Beetlenut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Jru,

The 1st time I refilled...I did wait for the "Low Ink Warning" to come on. I even let my Photo Magenta & Yellow run empty in the reservoir. I won't do that again. Not that it hurt the ink cart, but, never let the ink have ANY chance to dry in the cart or sponge. That's why I now always check the ink levels before a big print & fill them ALL if even a couple are low. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 full...It doesn't matter...I'll just top them all off.

I really express using the push pin rather than a small drill bit...Why? (you ask?)...I made the mistake of using a 1/16" drill bit with 22mm needles. The hole is just a tiny bit to big & allows the needle a bit to much slop.
In one troublesome, (big holed), cart, the ink will pressure back into the sponge area while filling the reservoir causing sponge overfilling before the reservoir was full. I simply pull the needle back into the sponge side & draw back on the syringe to suck the excess ink out. Not a big deal, but, frustrating to me since I then have to blow any ink out of the breather hole on top. (had to go to work next day with Cyan lips).

When I use the push pin, I push it through the plastic, then wiggle it around in a circle to elongate the hole big enough to force a 22mm needle through. Elongating the hole with the push pin makes the hole bigger on the outside, easier to start the needle into the hole, but leaves the center of the hole a tight fit around the needle. A tight fit IS better!

Since our last posts I've refilled or topped off all the carts 5-times so far. No issues...Yet!

I still feel it's a good practice to tap on the bottom of the cart, after a refill, as the needle can move the sponge up away from the outlet hole ever so slightly. Just don't smack on the outlet hole itself or you may bend/damage it, causing an ink seal failure to the print head. (someone else here pointed this out)

Remember...I didn't come up with this refill method...I just chose it as the one, I feel, best for me. I'm learning & making improvements as I go & happy to share what I've learned.
I've learned all I know, so far, from the many others here who've shared their knowledge...Cheers to you ALL!

By the way...Does anybody know where I can find a service manual copy or the "Waste Ink Reset" code for the Canon PIXMA iP6700D? Don't really need it now but, you know I will in the future!

Thank's,
Beetlenut

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The advantage of using the German Durchstich method is that you will never be able to oversaturate the sponge, which might cause massive banding and leaking in your prints. With the conventional refill method into the ink chamber, it's very important to squeeze out excessive ink (5-10 drops) before you can install your cartridge. A lot of people forget this and first time refillers are often disappointed with the printing results.

Somehow the Durchstich method is automatically causing an optimal equilibrium in the spong chamber: in original Canon carts you can see that the lower region is more saturated than the sponge sitting on it (Canon's patented dual sponge system), so you have a lighter coloured sponge sitting on a darker one. If your sponge chamber is almost completely uniformily coloured: be aware that this might cause massive banding during the first prints before an equilibrium is achieved until the excessive amount of ink have been removed from the cartridge.

It also turns out that this method can be used even if the sponge is completely dried out (cfr. druckerchannel.de). It will only take a few minutes waiting until the sponge is optimized again. However: this method is not recommended with aftermarket carts, since the sponge quality (often one piece !) is much less than Canon's own patented system.

slimrick

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've tried re-filling 4300 cartridges, but the PC still thinks they're empty and won't print? I did re-fill them before they were completely empty...

Any ideas?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Slimrick,

You have to deactivate the ink level monitor by pressing the cancel key on the printer for at least 5 seconds when the printer is saying that you are using refilled cartridges and Canon is warning that it's not responsible for any damage caused by refilled blablabla...... After that you are able to print, but the ink level monitor is disabled: so you have to look on a regular base whether or not the carts are empty and don't forget to refill the carts before they are completely empty.

slimrick

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks. :cool:
That's sorted it. (I now seem to remember way back, doing something similar on my epson printer....)

exxeroid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Thanks to those of you who contribute to this thread. Great information.
My iP4000 gave out on me and I have just bought an iP4300. I really liked th iP4000 and the ability to use any kind of ink I chose. Now I'm concerned about ink for the iP4300.
I have a few guestions.
#1. The, so called, German system instructions all seem to be in German, even the one that is supposed to translate into English, doesn't. Am I missing something?
I would like to use this system, but I would hate not do it correctly by missing an important step.
#2. I noticed the purging instructions, that there seem to have to have a hole on top of the cartridge. The hole normally be used to fill the cartridge the standard way. If one has been filling a cartridge the standard way, would it still be beneficiary to use the German system? And if there is no hole on the top, can a cartridge be purged?
#3. This may be covered in another thread but, what brand of bulk seems to work the best? I realize different users have different preferences, but I would like to hear what experences people have had, good or bad. I have been using MIS ink, but I think it has a tendancy to clog the head. I've seen where others say the same thimg.
Thanks,
Exxeroid