IP4300 - PGBK not printing: Clogged head or what?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Windex seems not to be available in Europe, but in many European countries an "Ajax" window cleaner with ammonia is available from Colgate-Palmolive. This also works well. The version I use is sold in Denmark in white cylindrical squeeze bottles with blue and red lettering. This is the classic version of the window cleaner that has been sold for decades in Denmark. I have also used "Pharmacists Cleaning Solution" with good results. There are more window cleaners with ammonia that also work well.

Here is a thread
about European alternatives to Windex. I think the version of Ajax I use is the "AJAX GLASS SQUEEZE AMMONIA" that is listed as #2 in the first post of the thread.

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 - Epson XP-810
Thanks a lot for the hint. I will look for the Ajax or the Lidl's W5, as suggested in that discussion.

If I find isopropyl alcohol I will try the @pharmacist formula

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
white tissue test results.

View attachment 1624

It seems that my memory is faulty. After deep cleaning the PGBK no signs on the paper. It seems a clogged head issue. Will proceed with test 2 and 3
I do not see a clear black imprint from your PGBK nozzles, only the color nozzles. There should be a long black line to the right of the color imprints. I suspect you have a head clog.

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I will try soaking the print head... and will try a lot of patience also.

How much should I let it soak? overnight? or more?

Regarding pressurized cleaning attempts through the pgbk ink inlet, is there a preferred direction (aspirate\blowing)?

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Before I start playing "il Piccolo Chimico" (
images
) preparing the @pharmacist magic potion :D I need you expert advice to be shure we are going in the right direction.

I found the test print made when I started experiencing the PGBK printing issues, couple of months ago:
Test Print 1.jpg

the missing text pattern seems to me similar to the one experienced by
@PeterBJ in his thread http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-mp540-strange-magenta-inkflow-problem.6904/ and the same tapering band effect is found in this
@Photog post http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/mx892-white-tapering-bands-in-black-areas.8660/. (And due to ink flow issues)

After cleaning a couple of times the head using distilled water, the PGBK results were as in the picture below:

PGBK Nozzle test #1 after cleaning Printhead.jpg

Apart from a few missing points it seemed fine! After that maybe I tried a cleaning cycle but the following nozzle check showed more missing parts:

PGBK Nozzle test #2 after cleaning Printhead.jpg

in a desperate attempt I then printed a low resolution test image:
PGBK print test #1 after cleaning Printhead.jpg

and then the PGBK was gone. Since then I printed only nozzle tests to avoid worsening the issue

After seeing these pictures and the above mentioned threads about ink flow issues, the issue seems to me as caused by an ink flow issue then by a clogged head.

I am wondering which is your feeling after watching the print test I posted. Clogged head or ink flow issue? Before going on I would like to hear your expert advice

Please note that:

I already changed the cart with a new OEM one: no results.

I performed the tests on the parking pads and it was passed.

The only strange thing is that it is pretty dirty (image below - click to enlarge) : is it normal?

Dirty Parking Pad.jpg

Attachments

• Test Print 1.jpg
    Test Print 1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'd say you have more issues than just the Pigment Black. The Cyan in nozzle check one is a perfect straight line lighter on top than bottom. Straight lines like this do not occur in nature, ie not a clog. This has typically been attributed to a bad print head, bad logic board assay or both in the past.

However, after you performed a cleaning cycle, nozzle check #2 shows just the leading top edge as being lighter and then perfect thereafter. Could this be due to dirty electrical contacts between the printer and the print head? Try cleaning these electrical contacts with either isoproply alcohol and a non lint cloth/towel or use a soft eraser from a pencil.

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I just tried cleaning, first with a soft eraser then with isoproply alcohol but no results. I already noticed the cyan banding issues but it comes and go.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Did you also clean the contact springs in the print head carriage?

If the problem with the split cyan band is not caused by a dirty contact, then sadly it is a symptom of print head electronic failure, and only a new print head might help.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If the purge unit is fully functional, and a new OEM PGBK cartridge makes no difference, then the problem with the pigment black is most likely caused by a clog in the fine ink passages in the upper part of the print head. You could try to gently force some cleaning solution through the ink inlet for pigment black and hope it clears the clog. This is a risky operation, you could damage an internal gasket in the print head or ruin the nozzle plate. Maybe submerging the nozzles in a cm of cleaning fluid and sucking the cleaner out through the ink inlet using a syringe with a suitable adapter is less risky.

If you cut the plastic nibs holding the circuit board and remove the two screws at the bottom of the print head, you can take the print head apart and you can now use much more force to clean the ink passages. But this is a very risky operation.

All cleaning of a print head outside the printer has a risk of damaging the print head, and a damaged print head can damage the logic board, making the printer a total loss. A damaged logic board can damage a new print head. A print head that shows an electronic damage might also damage the logic board even if it has not been cleaned outside the printer.