IP4300 - PGBK not printing: Clogged head or what?

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 - Epson XP-810
I am having issues with my IP4300. It is not printing anymore the pigmented black (PGBK). When i print a nozzle check the PGBK test pattern is completely missing. The other colours works fine.

It didn't happened suddenly, it started printing the black (text) with missing parts, but it happened only when printing in draft mode, when printing text at maximum quality\resolution it worked perfectly. Then, after a lot of printings, it stopped completely printing the pgbk: when printing text you get only a blank page.

I am currently using original carts refilled with InkTek ink and yes, I use a chip resetter, so ink level is always checked.

I tried to wash the head a couple of times (with hot distilled water and one time with head cleaning liquid) but with no lasting results. I do a nozzle check and it prints the pgbk pattern again(even if the black was pretty faint), then the following check it began to disappear and doing another noozle check the pgbk disappear completely again.

I replaced also the cartridge with a new OEM one, but nothing happened

I tried the tests suggested by Turgbuy ([URL="http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-mp620-not-printing-black.7517/#post-57662"]Canon MP620 not printing black[/URL]) using some head cleaning solution (I had no ammonia in house to try out them) and they were passed.

I am wondering why it seems to be fixed and then it doesn't print the pgbk again. Some little piece of dried ink still around? More patience?

Thank you in advance for your help and comments

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
If you have a solid clog in the printhead, it may be very difficult to dissolve/dislodge.

Did the "white tissue test" show pgbk ink at the nozzles?

Faint pgbk printing on the nozzle test implies another "tramp fluid" (residual cleaning fluid) in the nozzles that is expelled quickly during further printing...but it also shows the nozzles are firing...

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you for answering and sorry for misspelling your nick :(

The "white tissue test" showed some ink, I don't remember if it was a unique line or with some missing bits (I used toilet paper instead than tissue. Does it make any difference?).

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Toilet paper should work, but the pgbk ink should be REALLY black...and a lot of it.

Was it black?

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, it was black but I'll not say it was a lot (but could be my memory failing).

I will repeat the test tonight and will take a picture

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Sounds like you have a stubborn clog in the print head passageways. Or the print head suddenly failed. If it did fail, you would not see "faint" black on nozzls tests.

Patience and soaking the print head is what I would try...along with pressurized cleaning attempts through the pgbk ink inlet.

The last ditch is to disassemble the print head nozzle plate from the head and test the passageways for flow, BUT THIS IS VERY RISKY!!!

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I have only used Original Windex "with Ammonia D". I can't vouch for other fluids. Distilled water itself is very aggressive stuff...

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
white tissue test results.

white tissue test1.jpg

It seems that my memory is faulty. After deep cleaning the PGBK no signs on the paper. It seems a clogged head issue. Will proceed with test 2 and 3

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
If it can help the bottom of the printing head is pretty dirty with black ink.

Test #2: (apply a Milliliter or two of Windex-like* (contains ammonia) to the parking pad with a syringe): PASSED

Test #3: (close cover , do regular cleaning on PGBK, etc.) PASSED.

BTW even if I cleaned the black only, also the "color" parking park shows no evidence of Windex-like

(*Sorry but they don't sell windex in Italy. I used Vetril, a similar product ammonia based)