Best European alternative to Windex Glass Cleaner?

aruiz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello.
I have some clogs on a Canon Pro9000MKII and I am trying to unclog but I dont know which is the best alternative cleaner to use.
In the forum a lot of people uses Windex Glass Cleaner as a good solution. I have searched for the formula and I find an old formula and a new formula at http://www.ehow.com/about_4760000_what-chemicals-windex.html.
The old formula contained: water, isopropyl alcohol ,ethylene glycol , sodium laurel sulfate and ammonia
The new formula contains: Isopropanol, 2-Butoxyethanol, Ethylene glycol n-hexyl ether, water, fragrance and blue dye.
I am from Barcelona, Catalonia, and here I cant find Windex but I can find the recommended alternative for European people: Ajax glass cleaner.

But here are 5 different Ajax window or glass cleaners. Each with a different formulation:

***Product Name: AJAX GLASS WINDOWS & SHINY SURFACES***
Aqua
Alcohol Denat.
Butoxypropanol
Propylene Glycol
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Sodium Lactate
Parfum
Polyamine Modified
Colorant

***Product Name: AJAX GLASS SQUEEZE AMMONIA***
Aqua
Butoxypropanol
Alcohol
Propylene Glycol
Ammonium Hydroxide
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Denatonium Benzoate

***Product Name: AJAX WINDOW CLEANER SPRAY AMMONIA***
Aqua
Butoxypropanol
Alcohol Denat.
Propylene Glycol
Ammonium Hydroxide
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Acrylic Acid

***Product Name: AJAX PROFESSIONAL GLASS & SHINE***
Aqua
Alcohol Denat.
Butoxypropanol
Ammonium Hydroxide
TEA-Lauryl Sulfate
Acrylic Acid

***Product Name: AJAX GLASS CRISTASOL SQUEEZE ETHANOL***
Aqua
Alcohol
Isopropyl Alcohol
Lactic Acid
Parfum
Methylchloroisothiazolinone
Colorant
Methylisothiazolinone
Octylisothiazolinone

I have a bottle of Isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) and also distilled water, that I can add to the selected formulation.

Which formulation do you think thats the best option? Could be the named "AJAX WINDOW CLEANER SPRAY AMMONIA"?

Thank you very much !

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There are plenty of alternatives to Windex in the EU and Ajax is just one of the many
but if you pop around to your local Lidl store youll find a cheaper product called W5 that will do the same job.

Thanks for the Ajax tip.. :)

aruiz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply The Hat.

I have a Lidl store near home. In a few hours, I will go to buy W5. Is only one glass cleaner named W5 on Lidl store?

After reeading a lot of posts, seems that ammonia is important to unclog the printhead. It is important that the formula includes ammonia?

Adding isopropyl alcohol to W5 can help to unclog the printhead?

Thank you.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I mix a bit of this stuff into the W5 just to make it that little bit stronger. :)

5128_ammonia.jpg

aruiz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello.

I have go to the Lidl store but it was a lot of people in the line to pay. I had not the time to wait. Tomorrow I will go once more with a little more of time.

Also I will try to find ammonia, as you show me, on Lidl store or on an specialized store.

The Hat, thank you once more !

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
aruiz said:
Hello.
I have some clogs on a Canon Pro9000MKII and I am trying to unclog but I dont know which is the best alternative cleaner to use.
In the forum a lot of people uses Windex Glass Cleaner as a good solution. I have searched for the formula and I find an old formula and a new formula at http://www.ehow.com/about_4760000_what-chemicals-windex.html.
The old formula contained: water, isopropyl alcohol ,ethylene glycol , sodium laurel sulfate and ammonia
The new formula contains: Isopropanol, 2-Butoxyethanol, Ethylene glycol n-hexyl ether, water, fragrance and blue dye.
I am from Barcelona, Catalonia, and here I cant find Windex but I can find the recommended alternative for European people: Ajax glass cleaner.

!
In the US, we use Original Formula Windex (contains ammonia), NOT the new formula.

Wayne

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Like Windex the Ajax window cleaners from Colgate-Palmolive also come in different versions. The one I use for print head cleaning is possibly the original. The bottle is cylindrical and white with blue and red printing. It is possibly the "AJAX GLASS SQUEEZE AMMONIA". The ammonia is the active ingredient for our purpose, so look for a window cleaner containing ammonia or ammonium hydroxide. When ammonia (a gas) is dissolved in water, ammonium hydroxide is formed.

An alternative to the window cleaners that also works well is pharmacist's cleaning solution, a link to a successful print head unclogging using this liquid is here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9122 .

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
I dont really understand why there is a big fuzz about comercial windows cleaners... since I discovered pharmacist topic about a DIY version of his nozzle cleaning fluid I did make over 50 Liters of this solution my self. main ingredient is distiled water and alcohol a small portion of Propylene glycol and ammonia as to my needs. For heavy cleanings more and for non aggresion cleaning "none"
I even mix a small portion of dye inks into it for coloring purposes giving it a personal touch. Red = Strong Ammonia Blue = medium ammonia = Green = low amonia yellow = no ammonia

aruiz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
turbguy said:
aruiz said:
Hello.

!
In the US, we use Original Formula Windex (contains ammonia), NOT the new formula.

Wayne
Thank you turbguy for clarify this issue because I have not read if you use the new or the old formula.

aruiz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
Like Windex the Ajax window cleaners from Colgate-Palmolive also come in different versions. The one I use for print head cleaning is possibly the original. The bottle is cylindrical and white with blue and red printing. It is possibly the "AJAX GLASS SQUEEZE AMMONIA". The ammonia is the active ingredient for our purpose, so look for a window cleaner containing ammonia or ammonium hydroxide. When ammonia (a gas) is dissolved in water, ammonium hydroxide is formed.

An alternative to the window cleaners that also works well is pharmacist's cleaning solution, a link to a successful print head unclogging using this liquid is here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9122 .
Thank you PeterBJ for your reply and information.

Seems that Ajax sells their products, in EU, with different bottle designs. I don't see the bottle that you buy to use for the clogs of the printhead:

http://www.colgate.es/app/PDP/Ajax/ES/Products/Glass-Cleaner.cwsp

I see that the "AJAX GLASS SQUEEZE AMMONIA" and the "AJAX WINDOW CLEANER SPRAY AMMONIA" the only difference is that the first has Denatonium Benzoate and the second contains Acrylic Acid. I don't know if one is better/more secure for our printhead.

I know the pharmacist's cleaning solution. Thanks for the link.

Regards.