Installing Pro 3880 in Ethernet

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
I am trying to install my 3880 in the Ethernet. As far as I understand the 3880 can not be used through AirPrint.
My problem is that when I go to >Applications >EpsonNet>EpsonNet config V4, my 3880 doesn't show up at all.
What is the reason for this problem?
Thanks for your help!

Harry

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I drive my 3880 as a wi-fi printer - set it up two years ago - not touched it since.
Bought a repeater (D-Link DIR-505). Plugged it in next to the printer with an Ethernet-cable.
It took some time and hard thinking to convince the printer, main router, me and the soft to work.....

I almost gave up.
However - here is the trick:
Gave the repeater a fix IP and so also another fix IP on the 3880.
Just run the "EpsonNet config" and eureka - there it was!

Most others is forgotten - as it works all the time

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for reply.
My problem is that after havind dowloaded and installed EpsonNet Config v4, I can't use it.
It doesn't show the Epson 3880 and I don't know how to get this in operation.
Harry

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
There is much into this depending on know-how and experience.

First create a clean environment.

If the 3880 now is or has been used as connected over USB - uninstall the printer-soft and it's drivers.
Restart the computer - connect the ethernet-cable to the router to a free port.
Turn on the printer. Wait a moment.
The router should give the printer an "automated IP".
Reinstall the 3880 software/drivers and especially look for something like "Ethernet connection" if the software when installing not finds the printer automatically. It is to be setup as an network printer. (That's why I wanted You to uninstall the USB-version-install which might conflict). Restart the computer.
Now run the EpsonNet-config and follow the manual and instructions.

(I remember that I had to uninstall the USB-printer version to get the network version to work- and NO USB connection to the printer. )

In Windows: Settings -> printers -> "3880" -> properties -> connection(port) here chose "EpsonNet Print Port"

Here is the manual:
https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/pro3880/pro3880ng.pdf

It might be as simple as that.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
There is much into this depending on know-how and experience.

First create a clean environment.

If the 3880 now is or has been used as connected over USB - uninstall the printer-soft and it's drivers.
Restart the computer - connect the ethernet-cable to the router to a free port.
Turn on the printer. Wait a moment.
The router should give the printer an "automated IP".
Reinstall the 3880 software/drivers and especially look for something like "Ethernet connection" if the software when installing not finds the printer automatically. It is to be setup as an network printer. (That's why I wanted You to uninstall the USB-version-install which might conflict). Restart the computer.
Now run the EpsonNet-config and follow the manual and instructions.

(I remember that I had to uninstall the USB-printer version to get the network version to work- and NO USB connection to the printer. )

In Windows: Settings -> printers -> "3880" -> properties -> connection(port) here chose "EpsonNet Print Port"

Here is the manual:
https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/pro3880/pro3880ng.pdf

It might be as simple as that.

Good Luck!

I did apply carefully your instructions but I do not manage to get the Epson 3880 listed in the EpsonNet config. So here it blocks.
Thank for trying to help me!

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK - Try this:

In 3880-panel chose network i.e.
Fix IP: 192.168.1.141
(--->If it not works look into the settings in your router for DHCP settings for Auto IP:s - the IP here shall be above or outside last DHCP-address)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Def. Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Chose to tick "Use Bonjour"
Save settings in 3880-panel.

Install all software.
Connect TP-cable to router.
Restart PC.

Look for or create/add new printer if 3880 is missing. <-----
In "properties" for the printer look for a port EPxxxx Network (or something similar) - tick it.
Restart PC.
(If it still not works check the 3880-panel so the chosen IP-settings still is there. If not there or altered You have not saved the settings properly - yep it's some fiddling:weee)

In a way - doing this - there should be no need for EpsonNet - software. The above IP-addressing is what that soft should do automatically. Anyhow - if the printer is found - you may test and play with the EpsonNet-soft. But do not if it works.

(By the way - ethernet cables with its contacts - could be faulty! Borrow one for double testing some has even "crossed" leaders depending on it's intended use)

Last edited:

WilsonLaidlaw

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Lewes, Sussex, UK and Tourtour, Var, France
Printer Model
Epson 3880, Canon Pixma Pro-1,
You don't say if you are using Windows or Mac. With Mac it is very simple but it is many years since I used Windows and I am not au fait with how their current printer installation works. Install the up to date drivers from the Epson website NOT the supplied disc. These will almost certainly be out of date and may well not be compatible with your current operating system. The Epson website is well laid out and will guide you through the files you need for the OS you are using. Then just turn the printer on, connect the ethernet cable, check the green connection light is flashing on both the router port you are using and at the back of the printer, to confirm sync established. Then you can use your regular printer installation program, either Windows or Mac. The OS printer installation program should find the printer via its local IP address and then locate the files you require for the driver, automatically linking the two I found this far easier than using Epson's own installer.

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Answer to WilsonLaidlaw and to Berserk:
I carefully applied the suggestions from Berserk (May 3), as already reported without avail
I noticed that the green lights are not flashing at the printer port and the port on the Router (Apple Airport).

I use a iMac High Sierra 10.13.4
After the uninstall (advise Berserk) I re-installed all Epson software and the driver v9.33 and use firmware P030D8-1.03.800E
IP 3880: 192.168.0.010:
IP Router: 192.168.0.1.

Still trying to find a good solution but believe something is wrong in the "Ethernet connection" (no green lights) and also with the" EpsonNet.config" that just doesn't show the Epson and is just plain dead.!
I appreciate your help!
Harry

Jorik

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX925 & Canon MG5450
Can you verify that your iMac can contact the Epson, by pinging it on its IP?
On macOS, you can do this in a terminal ($ ping 192.168.0.10), but also from "Network Utility" / "Netwerkhulpprogramma" (I believe it's called in Dutch)

Also, just to confirm, can you give the internal IP of your iMac? If your iMac uses Wifi, you can get it by Alt/Option clicking on the Wifi indicator in the menu bar. If your iMac is connected via ethernet, you need to go to System Preferences > Network or also retrieve it from the Terminal ($ ifconfig | grep "inet ")

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Jorik:
I regret but I have no idea how to apply your instructions to see whether the "iMac can contact the Epson"?
This is far above my limited software abilities!

The Epson 3880 has IP 192.168.0.010 - SubNet Mask 255.255.255.0. - Default Gateway 192.168.0.1

There are three points that might, I think, not be correct:
1) When my new Ether cable (Cat 5e) is connected between the printer and the Airport, and thereafter the printer is switched on again, the green light at the printer port is lighted, but the one on the Airport port not;

2) I also noticed that after the setup of the Network to "Enable", via the LCD on the printer, that thereafter, when following instructions: to switch the 3880 "off and after some time, on again", that this switches the Network setup from the selected and confirmed "enable" to "disable".

3) Also when opening the "EpsonNet config.app" (via Applications) , this software opens up, but doesn't show the Epson 3880 and is more or less "dead".
No way to get the Epson 3880 showing up in this config.

I am close to giving up on trying to get the Epson on Ethernet!

Thanks for your help)
Harry