Inkjet Goodies Bacterial Glop

Photoship

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My experience with PM refill "glop" is a small, almost invisible (translucent?) mass of gell-like material that migrates to the transfer hole and blocks it.
Why just PM? I have no clue.
However, I haven't seen the stuff since I started to get serious about drying my syringes,
especially the needles.
I'm thinking of a mild peroxide soak occasionally (before drying) might help also.

fred

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Photoship, the easiest way to clean your needles is just draw about 1 ml of pure isopryl alcohol or 96 % ethanol with your syringe and discard this. The small amount inside the needle will evaporate eventually killing all germs inside the needle. Some water left inside the needle before drawing some alcohol is beneficial for killing the germs, since the optimal germicidal concentration for alcohol is between 60-80 %.

Another method to get rid of those globs is to use a microfilter (a special disk with a 2 micron filter, used for sterilizing solutions which can not be sterilized by heating, thus removing all bacteria): this fits between any needle and syringe. Draw ink with needle nr 1 (kept solely for drawing ink from the bottle) and then place this microfilter between the full syringe and put a new sterile needle on the microfilter.

The advantages are:

-no globs and sterile ink in your cartridge
-dramatically reduced risk in printhead clogs due to fine (almost undetectable) particles inside the ink

rinse both needles thoroughly with tap water, then with a few ml distilled water and finally with 1 ml alcohol. Let it dry in open air.