InDesign Color-profile Problems on MAC - Canon Pro-10

J D Griggs

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000
InDesign is a program that works just the same as Illustratordoes and its because they are so adaptable for all kinds of colour work that they are so well liked.

They were originally designed and created for the Print industry, but they can be used in many different ways, and it’s up to the user to find their own work around, of which there are quite a few..

P.S. they were never meant to be used with the colour management turn off, otherwise you might as well use MS Paint..

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure you read all of my post. I want to turn off color management in the Canon Printer Driver, NOT in InDesign. Photoshop does this automatically, for some reason InDesign does not.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm not sure you read all of my post.

Speaking of not reading posts.
I have worked with the Adobe suite on both Mac and Windows and when faced with a problem such as your, I’d move my design to photoshop to print or move it to Windows for extra tweaking, but honestly I’ve never needed to turn off colour management. ! (Adobe suite works on both platforms)
Photoshop does this automatically, for some reason InDesign does not.
Your problem is yourself and not your printer or InDesign, because Photoshop is a photo management system that allows the user to have complete control over colours, but InDesign is not and won’t allow its heart to to be ripped out, InDesign is Illustrator and **Quark Express rolled into one package..

Use Photoshop to manipulate all your Photo and Graphic colours first and save those settings to file, then reopen your image in Photoshop and export that image into your InDesign layout, because InDesign won’t alter any imported colour images.

InDesign is far more complex than Photoshop and you must learn to work within the package rather than impose your own ideas upon it, because it is a superb publishing system when understood and used properly....

P.S. Question: does anybody completely understand Colour Management, because I am one of the many that doesn’t...
** Quark Express is not owned by Adobe Inc...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
P.S. Question: does anybody completely understand Colour Management, because I am one of the many that doesn’t...
Is that like asking if any guy on the forum completely understands women? :confused:

J D Griggs

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000
Speaking of not reading posts.
I have worked with the Adobe suite on both Mac and Windows and when faced with a problem such as your, I’d move my design to photoshop to print or move it to Windows for extra tweaking, but honestly I’ve never needed to turn off colour management. ! (Adobe suite works on both platforms)

Your problem is yourself and not your printer or InDesign, because Photoshop is a photo management system that allows the user to have complete control over colours, but InDesign is not and won’t allow its heart to to be ripped out, InDesign is Illustrator and **Quark Express rolled into one package..

Use Photoshop to manipulate all your Photo and Graphic colours first and save those settings to file, then reopen your image in Photoshop and export that image into your InDesign layout, because InDesign won’t alter any imported colour images.

InDesign is far more complex than Photoshop and you must learn to work within the package rather than impose your own ideas upon it, because it is a superb publishing system when understood and used properly....

** Quark Express is not owned by Adobe Inc...

Hi again.

One last try. I do not want to turn off color management in InDesign.
I want to let InDesign color manage my output to my printer. I am not trying to turn off color management in InDesign

However, I do not want my Canon Printer Driver software to also try to color manage my print at the same time, resulting in double management. Therefore, I want color management turned off only in the Printer Driver... and not in InDesign. As I mentioned before, I believe that this is an issue with the Printer Driver and not with InDesign. I was curious if anyone else had come across this same issue with a Canon Printer Driver.

I understand that InDesign is an amazingly vast and complex application. I use only the simplest of its many features. I moved from Quark to InDesign soon after InDesign first became available. I appreciate and respect your expertise and experience in using InDesign.

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Essentially, you need to manually set the Canon printer driver color management setting to NONE. Then you select the proper ICC profile in your printing application (eg InDesign).

From the Pro-1000 manual:

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual...eries/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_color_correction03.html

Google "canon pro 1000 turn off color management" for other examples as well as differences in performing this with Windows vs Mac.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I do not want my Canon Printer Driver software to also try to color manage my print at the same time, resulting in double management.
There, you have solved your own problem with the above statement.

All applications need to use some sort of colour management yes, but that usually and mostly comes from the Print driver itself, unless the user turns it off deliberately or by mistake.

But you seem to be getting mixed up in the fallacy that the Print Driver will cause double profiling somehow, but it won’t because InDesign needs the Print Driver Colour Information to print the image correctly.

None of these Graphic Applications will print properly without the complete assistance of the Printers own colour management, but it will allow you to tweak any individual colour by choice, while still using the Print Driver, you should give that method a try..

Capture99.PNG

Grazer5

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, Ricoh Pro 7100S
Try setting the Printer profile in InDesign to " Document RGB" at the top of the drop down list. Works for most things, but a custom profile is the way to go. Then you can make a preset in the print driver with adjusted colour, Canon's don't like to print without their own colour management on, Colour Sync is usually the only other choice in the print dialog and it looks horrible.

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
I have the same issue printing from InDesign to my Canon Pro-1000. I believe the problem is that EITHER InDesign does not turn off Color Management in the Canon Printer Driver, OR the Canon Printer Driver does not respond to InDesign's attempt to turn of Color Management. So it's the usual dilemma. Canon Tech Support will tell you it is an InDesign bug. Adobe Tech Support will tell you it's a bug in the Canon Printer Driver. Either way, we are stuck with an unsolvable issue. I have found a tedious workaround.... export your file from InDesign to a [PDF/X-4:2008]. Then open the PDF in Photoshop. Print the PDF from Photoshop and the color management works properly!!! I think that this may really be a Canon Printer Driver bug, in that the Printer Driver does not give you the option to turn of color management when printing directly from InDesign.

J D Griggs, thanks for a helpful tip about printing through Photoshop. I have to check if I can do it with booklet, which I think as long as it is PDF - should work. Really disappointing that Adobe and Canon did not fix this problem. It seems like such a no-brainer to me. I did spend a few hours with Adobe support, but they were not able to fix it and concluded - SURPRISE! - it is a Canon problem. Just as you have said :mad:

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
InDesign is a program that works just the same as Illustratordoes and its because they are so adaptable for all kinds of colour work that they are so well liked.

They were originally designed and created for the Print industry, but they can be used in many different ways, and it’s up to the user to find their own work around, of which there are quite a few..

P.S. they were never meant to be used with the colour management turn off, otherwise you might as well use MS Paint..

Thanks The Hat. But my problem is not to turn off the color profile in Indesign, but to turn it off in the Printer Driver - the option that you have on PC but I do not on Mac - as it seems.

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
There, you have solved your own problem with the above statement.

All applications need to use some sort of colour management yes, but that usually and mostly comes from the Print driver itself, unless the user turns it off deliberately or by mistake.

But you seem to be getting mixed up in the fallacy that the Print Driver will cause double profiling somehow, but it won’t because InDesign needs the Print Driver Colour Information to print the image correctly.

None of these Graphic Applications will print properly without the complete assistance of the Printers own colour management, but it will allow you to tweak any individual colour by choice, while still using the Print Driver, you should give that method a try..

View attachment 8310

As I have said, in Photoshop's print panel - when I select the correct color profile - provided by Canon - if I use Canon paper or another paper manufacturer for other papers, it looks like the color profiling is turned off in the Printer Driver automatically. There is no manual way to do it on MAC. In Indesign, however, there is no way to switch it off in Printer Driver, and color profile has to be assigned in Indesign as there is no other option. This causes, I believe, double profiling. Believe me: the prints are totally wrong! While if I print through Photoshop - they look great. In both programs, I assign the same paper's manufacturer profile. I do not need to make any manual tweaks in Photoshop. I shouldn't - that's why there is a color profile supplied. Prints from Indesign look horrible - to the point that I don't think any tweak would get them correct anyway.

Latest posts