InDesign Color-profile Problems on MAC - Canon Pro-10

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
Try setting the Printer profile in InDesign to " Document RGB" at the top of the drop down list. Works for most things, but a custom profile is the way to go. Then you can make a preset in the print driver with adjusted colour, Canon's don't like to print without their own colour management on, Colour Sync is usually the only other choice in the print dialog and it looks horrible.

Hi Grazer5, so you do recommend to set the profile in InDesign and again in the printer driver?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ut my problem is not to turn off the color profile in Indesign, but to turn it off in the Printer Driver - the option that you have on PC but I do not on Mac - as it seems.
Did you do the Google search I recommended? I just added "mac" to the search line to help move Mac solutions for turning off printer color management up in the search results.

I found several links that seems to address your issue. It has to do with what printer drivers are installed. Mac = bad. Canon = good.

eg

https://www.colourphil.co.uk/printing-canon-mac.shtml

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...lor-Managament-in-ProGraf-Pro1000/td-p/191281

Plenty more if you do the search.

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
Essentially, you need to manually set the Canon printer driver color management setting to NONE. Then you select the proper ICC profile in your printing application (eg InDesign).

From the Pro-1000 manual:

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/PRO-1000 series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_color_correction03.html

Google "canon pro 1000 turn off color management" for other examples as well as differences in performing this with Windows vs Mac.

THERE IS THIS SETTING ON MAC?!!! I CAN NOT FIND IT. THAT IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 1.32.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 1.32.14 PM.png
    24 KB · Views: 241

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
Did you do the Google search I recommended? I just added "mac" to the search line to help move Mac solutions for turning off printer color management up in the search results.

I found several links that seems to address your issue. It has to do with what printer drivers are installed. Mac = bad. Canon = good.

eg

https://www.colourphil.co.uk/printing-canon-mac.shtml

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...lor-Managament-in-ProGraf-Pro1000/td-p/191281

Plenty more if you do the search.

Believe me, I searched.... So far I have not found the solution. I have talked to Adobe for several hours - no solution. The links provided do not show how to turn off the profiling in printer driver when printing from InDesign.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The links provided do not show how to turn off the profiling in printer driver when printing from InDesign.
I thought you turn off the printer's ICC profile from within the printer's own software so that you can then choose a custom ICC profile from within the application (eg InDesign).

The issue of wrong printer driver - generic/airprint/apple/mac/whatever is discussed in the links I provided as being an impediment to turning off the printer's ICC profile. Until the proper Canon printer driver is installed and seen in the pertinent menu then you may not be able to turn off the OEM ICC profile. See the links I provided. What printer driver are you using?

Another Google search using "indesign color management mac" results in some links that touch upon his issue of Mac's and problematic Apple drivers as well as how to set up InDesign for color management, eg custom ICC profiles.

Until you figure out whether you are using the proper Canon printer driver, and make it so, it seems you will not be able to turn off the OEM ICC profile to then use a custom ICC profile with InDesign.

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
I thought you turn off the printer's ICC profile from within the printer's own software so that you can then choose a custom ICC profile from within the application (eg InDesign).

The issue of wrong printer driver - generic/airprint/apple/mac/whatever is discussed in the links I provided as being an impediment to turning off the printer's ICC profile. Until the proper Canon printer driver is installed and seen in the pertinent menu then you may not be able to turn off the OEM ICC profile. See the links I provided. What printer driver are you using?

Another Google search using "indesign color management mac" results in some links that touch upon his issue of Mac's and problematic Apple drivers as well as how to set up InDesign for color management, eg custom ICC profiles.

Until you figure out whether you are using the proper Canon printer driver, and make it so, it seems you will not be able to turn off the OEM ICC profile to then use a custom ICC profile with InDesign.

As far as I can tell the driver is correct. It's the newest driver for Pro-10 that's available on Canon's website. Again, everything works fine in Photoshop with this driver. I set the Photoshop to select the correct paper color profile and that disables color profile in the printer driver. That is NOT happening in InDesign. I select the correct paper color profile in InDesign and in the printer driver the color profiling is NOT disabled. And there is no way to turn it off. And no matter what I select there - the colors on the printed photo are wrong.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The nexus of Adobe InDesign, Mac and Canon is a Bermuda Triangle of mystery and misery.