If it wasn't so agravating it would actually be funny!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ah... Ok, that's somewhat helpful...

Can I make one small note though...

1. There's probably a reason why fuse-able chips were dropped. Most likely related to quality control, reliability, and cost... Factor in the various legal issues OEMs have faced about ink monitoring I wonder if they would also be a factor.

2. Do OEMs really want to lock every door so OEM is the only way? My guess it's a nirvana but in doing so they would create an almost unprecedented level of legal activity. Far better for them to create a difficult problem, one that drains resources, creates additional costs and results in a lot of running around but no legal battle.

My bet is that they are far more likely to go with the next version that has virtually no space for a third party chip but enough for a paper chip. Force your third party chip manufacturers to retool and consider expensive minimised chip technology, processors, etc... Maybe even bio degradeable chips?...

Again you can't forget quality assurance, reliability and cost... Oh and reduced income from reduced printer sales, meaning less R&D funding...

Oh and let's not forget more wasteful printers, less reliable lifespan and the usual 6 month run-around routine third parties do... Put it all together and you have to wonder just how bothered Canon are. Long term they get 3+ months of OEM only sales of consumables then maybe less than 3 months before out comes the next tweaked model...

But that's just me... ;)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Ok. Let's for the moment forget about resetting of ANY chip.
How many cycles of refilling and reinstalling a cart WHOSE color has been disabled of ink monitoring can one realistically expect before this time bomb in the chip causes your PRO-100 to blow up.

Assume you one have one set of carts.

I've asked this before but the answer given was more speculatory than factual. I fully realize that nott many of us have had a change to use the PRO-100 long enough to know so If no one actually knows, that OK.

So once ink monitoring is disabled on say magenta, how many times can that same magenta cart be refilled and reinsterted into the printer. From what I gather, some people say that the chip will short out after two refills and reinsertions back into the printer. Did I misunderstand or this I get that right? In other words if I remove and reinsert the cart more than twice, will the chip short out?

Remember we are not talking about resetting the chip. I mean with the ink monitoring disabled.

Thanks

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here is another clarification on the pesky Canon paper chips. :woot

They are only fitted to the 251/250 or 550/551 opaque cartridges and have nothing to do
with the normal chips that are fitted to the Pro 100 CLI-42 cartridges.

So disabling the ink monitoring on the Pro 100 printer will work as normal and can continue indefinitely
there are no hidden bobby traps waiting for the would be refiller. :celebrate

There was some speculation on my part and suggestions that there might be a problem as to how many times
you can actually reset the CLI-42 chips, and are they as good and as reliable as the old CLI-8 chips were ? :thumbsup

Joe dont dump your Pro9000 just yet .
I reckon at this stage Canon may just have us all a little spooked. :hide

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Tomorrow I bring home the second PRO-100 so yes, I do have to get rid of one of the thre 9000 MKIIs.
If any one in the Washington DC area is interested in a new in box PRO9000 MKII for only $110, send me an email.

Joe

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jtoolman said:
Tomorrow I bring home the second PRO-100 so yes, I do have to get rid of one of the thre 9000 MKIIs.
If any one in the Washington DC area is interested in a new in box PRO9000 MKII for only $110, send me an email.
Fancy shipping it to the UK? ;)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
websnail said:
jtoolman said:
You want to pick it up and barter for some ink and printerpotties???

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jtoolman said:
websnail said:
You want to pick it up and barter for some ink and printerpotties???
Wait one while I just pop my underwear over my spandex here and... wait!... Who has stolen the phone box?!

;)