i9950/i9900: Green cast on Hobbicolors inks.

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Following a number of positive comments here, I started using Hobbicolors replacement ink a while back. I have been doing mainly graphics and CAD work up to now, but I have just started trying some decent quality prints on quality paper, using ICC profiles etc.
This has shown up a problem; I am getting a distinct green cast, to a greater or lesser extent, whatever paper/profile combination I try.
The nozzle check test print is fine; the screen is calibrated using a Spyder and Coloreyes display Pro. I have tried the recommended ICC profiles, and a few more, but overall the greenish tinge remains. On Ilford Galerie Classic Pearl paper (again, using downloaded ICC profiles recommended off the Ilford website), it is particularly bad.
I have uploaded a couple of images onto Photobucket to illustrate what I mean; the original image, and a scan taken of the resultant print (this was onto Canon Glossy Photo paper, using the i9950SP1 profile). The scan is a reasonable representation of the problem,
Am I missing something obvious? Does anyone have any other ICC profiles they would recommend for Hobbicolors inks?
I would be grateful for any ideas..

Original image:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/lewisham_phil/EDROriginal.jpg

Scan of print:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/lewisham_phil/PrintScan.jpg

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Two questions:

Are you using the latest Hobbicolors inks? UW-8 is the latest; WC-6 was a earlier offering. I had a greenish cast problem with the WC-6 inks that was corrected with a custom profile. No such problems with the UW-8 inks.

What program are you printing from? Possibly you are double profiling - once in the printing program and again in the printer driver. For best results use a program like Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or QImage. Set the printer profile in the program and turn off profiling in the printer driver.

Steve W.

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys.
Tyamada, unfortunately I'm on a Mac, and the ddisoftware is PC only.
Trainman, the inks are indeed the latest UW-8's. I'm printing from Photoshop, and setting the Color Handling to 'Photoshop Manages Colors' (This is on a Mac by the way, so it may differ slightly to PC's).
Hitting 'Print' brings up the 'Print' dialogue box; If I go to the 'Color Options' sub-menu, the color correction option is set to 'none', and is greyed out anyway (it becomes active if 'printer manages colors' is selected previously), and another sub-menu 'ColorSync' is set to 'Standard', and again is not changeable. So I assume I am not double profiling, unless there are other settings I am missing somewhere?
Thanks again
Phil

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Lewisham_phil,

send me a PM. Maybe I can help you. I have some dedicated Hobbicolors UW-8 profiles for the Canon i9950. You can give them a try. Question: is the nozzle check printout OK ? I presume it does, but did you flush out the cartridges before refilling ?

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Pharmacist, that's brilliant; I shall PM you straightaway.
Yes, the nozzle check is fine, and the cartridges are the fresh Hobbicolor items.
I look forward to trying the profiles.

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Pharmacist, you are a star, sir!
Any one of your profiles is giving results immeasurably better than the muddy brown for purples and sallow flesh of the previous efforts; for the first time I am seeing what this printer can actually do, and it's quite a revelation.
By the way, I am using UW-8 replacement ink, but I also bought blank empty cartridges from Hobbicolors aswell. I was previously on G+G carts, many of which were unreliable, so I wasn't going to refill those.
Your thoughts that the SiHLX profile would be the best for the Ilford paper was spot on, and I think the Canon GP401 profile probably suits my Canon Glossy Photo Paper best. I shall be experimenting with renewed enthusiasm!
Its 1AM here in London now, but I think I might just try a few more test prints...
Thanks once again
Phil

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Phil, Pharmacist: I am one who have been lazy and never wanted to pay for profile tools. It looks like you guys once again demonstrated another excellent example how a good custom profile can make a compatible ink stands out and print amazingly for you. What I am curious about is what is the profile tool you use that may be worth my hard earned money to try. I have many weired paper and all sources of refill ink to deal with. I hope it is not one that will cause me to go bankrupt.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Tin Ho,

I use the Spyder3 Studio for profiling my printer + monitor. I first tended to go for the cheaper Colormunki, but the rather limited possibilities to tweak the profiles changed my opinion towards the better equipped Spyder3 Studio. I am very happy with the profiles I create with this tool and also the possibility to neutralise colour casts with an extra B/W tuning profile to enhance your standard profiles is a plus.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
@pharmacist

If profiling requires the printer+monitor (plus paper plus ink?), how can Lewisham_phil benefit from your profile ?