I would like to be able to print on fabric as well as photo papers..

iPhoneArtGirl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro
I have joined here because I need help figuring out which Epson eco tank printers use pigment inks. I've only had dye-based printers in the past. My house just burned to the ground and everything in it is ash. I don't have a lot of $$$ to spend but I want to get an Epson Ecotank printer that runs pigment inks now that I'm able to get a new printer. Can anyone recommend the most economical models of Epsons with the ecotanks that use pigment inks? I would love to be able to print 13x17" again, but to start, I probably need a smaller footprint since still don't have a permanent place to live... I would like to be able to print on fabric as well as photo papers... Any ideas will be such a help to me.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My condolences on the loss of your home. A family friend lost his home in the fires as well. Devastating.

There are some knowledgeable Epson folks on here that may be able to guide you to a good printer.

Best of luck to you and your family.

iPhoneArtGirl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro
My condolences on the loss of your home. A family friend lost his home in the fires as well. Devastating.

There are some knowledgeable Epson folks on here that may be able to guide you to a good printer.

Best of luck to you and your family.
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I look forward to learning here, with and from others.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The only Epson Ecotank models running pigment inks are higher end A4 office type models as the ET5800/5850 with a 4 color pigment inkset but these are not photo printers. I'm not aware of an A4 or A3 Ecotank model for photo printing with pigment inks. The ET16150/16600 are A3 office type printers with the same 4 color pigment inkset but not photo printers either. The only A3 Ecotank photoprinter is the L1800 running with dye inks but is not available in your country. Epson rather wants you to buy models like the P600/700 with cartridges. And it's not much different with Canon, they don't offer photo printers with an integral tank system either.

Last edited:

iPhoneArtGirl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro
The only Epson Ecotank models running pigment inks are higher end A4 office type models as the ET5800/5850 with a 4 color pigment inkset but these are not photo printers. I'm not aware of an A4 or A3 Ecotank model for photo printing with pigment inks. The ET16150/16600 are A3 office type printers with the same 4 color pigment inkset but not photo printers either. The only A3 Ecotank photoprinter is the L1800 running with dye inks but is not available in your country. Epson rather wants you to buy models like the P600/700 with cartridges. And it's not much different with Canon, they don't offer photo printers with an integral tank system either.

Thank you so much for your reply, Stratman.

I have been looking through the Epson site and it appears that there is such a thing as the EcoTank 542 Ink (which it says is pigment). But I can't find which models use that ink. I also see the EcoTank 512 Ink but I can't tell if it's pigment based or not. It's very hard to find the information on the Epson site.

At this point, it appears that there is an Epson Expression unit, ET-2700 All in One that uses an EcoTank that takes T502 Ink. ??? Don't know the composition of that ink.

Reading about the ET Premium Eco Tank 7750, it appears that it uses one black pigment cartridge and 4 dye color cartridges. There is also a newer, smaller model, the Premium EcoTank 7700 that it says uses pigment inks. But I can't tell if it's just one pigment and 4 dye colors...

How can one tell which Ink numbers are pigment-based and which are dye-based?

This is so confusing... You seem to have had a LOT of digital printer experience and I'm so grateful for you sharing your knowledge. I was a world-class silver-gelatin print maker but haven't really learned how to run my own digital printers competently. I do want to print on Epson matte papers and I also want to print on fabrics like silk.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thank you so much for your reply, Stratman.
You are welcome, and I'll help if I can, but it was Ink Stained Fingers you quoted. He is one of the forum's experts on Epson printers.

EcoTank 542 Ink (which it says is pigment). But I can't find which models use that ink.
Epson T542 ink used in the following printers:

https://epson.com/i/T542

I also see the EcoTank 512 Ink

The Epson T512 ink has 1 Pigment Black ink and 4 Dye-based C/Y/M/Photo Black inks.:

https://epson.com/i/T542

and used in various models as listed in the link below:

https://epson.com/For-Home/Ink/Epson-T512-Ink-Bottles/i/T512020-S

T502 Ink. ??? Don't know the composition of that ink.
The Black is Pigment ink. The C/Y/M are Dye-based inks.

https://www.amazon.com/Epson-EcoTank-Auto-Stop-Bottle-T502120-S/dp/B074RFMST8?th=1

the ET Premium Eco Tank 7750, it appears that it uses one black pigment cartridge and 4 dye color cartridges
Correct. It uses the same T512 inks as the EcoTank 7700. (see below)

the Premium EcoTank 7700 that it says uses pigment inks. But I can't tell if it's just one pigment and 4 dye colors...
Uses T512 inks which are 1 Pigment Black and 4 Dye-based C/Y/M/Photo Black inks

Hope I got this all correct! :fl

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Hope I got this all correct!
Yes, indeed , that's a great reference list for further inquiries of this type, Epson does not easily reveal details of the ink composition of the various listed ink sets. Epson - as mentioned before - does not offer an ecotank photo printer with a full pigment ink set , they even switch from pigment inks to dye inks on a 24" large format printer - T3100 vs. T3100x as an ecotank printer model. The question remains why you would prefer pigment inks over dye inks like in the ET7750 - is it previous experience or some expectation or some other reason - e.g. a specific use for the printouts ?

iPhoneArtGirl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro
Yes, indeed , that's a great reference list for further inquiries of this type, Epson does not easily reveal details of the ink composition of the various listed ink sets. Epson - as mentioned before - does not offer an ecotank photo printer with a full pigment ink set , they even switch from pigment inks to dye inks on a 24" large format printer - T3100 vs. T3100x as an ecotank printer model. The question remains why you would prefer pigment inks over dye inks like in the ET7750 - is it previous experience or some expectation or some other reason - e.g. a specific use for the printouts ?
Thanks for your question, InkStained Fingers. I want to print to light-light-weight fabrics that will stand up to washing as well as photo prints. I'm not looking to make Tshirts. I want to print some of my images to fine cottons and silk and include some of the images in small fabric collages. Does this make sense?
Pigment will stand up to washing (I don't expect much washing for these pieces, but because they will be included in garments I plan to construct, there is the possibility that the garment will need to be washed a few times.)

Wondering what you would recommend.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't think that regular dye inks are suitable for print on textiles or fabrics as you describe it, inks will wash out quickly and may stain other areas.
There are several techniques to print on farbics - DTG - direct to garment - just look up something like 'Epson DTG' but that is most likely out of your $purchasing range, and the other method is the well established dye sublimation heat transfer process, you print onto the transfer sheet and iron/heat transfer the print with a heat press onto the fabric. The fabric needs to be a polyester/cotton mix, the dye molecules migrate into the polyester fibre and are there much better protected against ozone/UV or washing cycles. But this only works reliably with special sublimation inks.