Printer Guru
Reaction score

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
;)... Well darn it, and there was me on-hold to the piracy hotline...

Glad you got it all working though... looking good :)

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Knightcrawler,... I've read your posts over and over and I still don't see the problem. Any time you put any kind of "Image" in the project, Canon will print the entire creation as an image. It does not mix text and image,... it is either all text, or it is an image. It it is an image, all colors will be made out of what ever "Color" ink carts your printer has. If you are not able to print real "Black", then one of your C,M,Y, Pc, Pm, colors is acting up and your nozzle test should tell you that. If you can't print real black on your nozzle test you'll never be able to print an image that has total black. Here is a CD that I have made for some older PC's;

While it only has a very few items that are totally black,.. when they are printed they come out all black. This is a jpg image so it is an "IMAGE" and all the words are printed as an image and the black comes out black.....

I must be missing something?

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
knightcrawler,... Well it may sound too simple but I did,.... nothing. Since the day that I loaded the CD LabelPrint software after I modified my iP6600d to print CD's, I have not touched one button on either the CD Lable print software, driver, or even the Canon printer driver. I load an image that I want to print and I always use a JPG image. Of course it will always have some kind of text in it. It will also have an image as the background. My image is usually the scanned image of another CD, or a picture of someone, or a picture of a DVD movie cover. I use Microsoft Picture Manager to edit the image and enhance the colors, crop the picture, until I have what I want. Then I open CD LabelPrint and select a new project. Then I select "Image File" and open the image or background picture and select the correct image. Once that is loaded I stretch the image to fit the CD so the background is where I want it to be. ONce that is done I use the "Text" feature to add what ever text I need and place it on top of the image. Now we have Text and Image, but as far as Canon is concerned, it is only a modified image,... there is no text and there is no way to force it to use "Fast Black", or pigmented ink. It knows that it is an image and will print it with composite colors.

When everything is the way I want it, I don't change any other button, I just select print. It has already identified my default printer so I just select "Print". I make no attempt to go into the Canon Print driver and change anything, I let it use the defaults. The only thing that the Canon Driver does normally when you print other documents is to look at what kind of paper you are going to print on. In this way I would have a choice. But as far as printing on a CD Cover, there are some that are "Matte", and there are some that are like etched glass or dull chrome. The printer has a built in scanner that examines what kind of CD surface it is so there is no need to tell it. So like I said, I just select "Print" and let both the CD LabelPrint software and the Canon CD Print driver software do their own thing and just print.

So far each and every CD Label I have printed has come out exactly as I expected. All colors have been correct, as much as any other print of a digital image can match the colors of your display.

This may be a dumb question, but when you changed your printer over to enable CD printing, after you modified the printers destination code, did you go back into vista and delete the printer and re-install the same device driver. I assume you must have or your CD labelPrint software would not even bring up your Canon Printer as a device that will print your CD.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Trigger 37:
You keep posting the same information, I have owned a 6600d for about 2 years and I'm aware they have a photo black cart. I have no problems getting that model to print true black on cd/dvd media. This thread is about the lowly iP3000 and any 3 ink model producing composite black on media and any tricks that might improve it.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
headphonesman said:
KnightCrawler said:
KnightCrawler ..I am overjoyed that you did , its great to beat the system , but please briefly describe exactly what you did to achieve it.......??? I am intrigued ....
With the three ink systems you need to use really good ink such as Canon OEM, it produces a charcoal black but at least it's not blue. I need to order up some Hobbicolors and try it in it and see if it is balanced enough to produce a better black then the bulk ink I have now.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hobbicolors produces a perfect composite black ink, since I had horrible results before using cheap refill ink causing composite black to be dark reddish violet. It was on my IX4000 (does not have photoblack !). You can check if the ink gamut is excellent by printing a B/W picture with a lot of gray scales from white to pure black. If the ink is of lesser quality you will have horrible colour stiches from blue (as in your case) to reddish violet (as in my case with cheap ink). Keep in mind to rinse out your cartridges from the lesser ink before using Hobbicolors. You won't be disappointed by Hobbicolors.