I hate Canon

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I don't know what arrogant a** hole at Canon decided that end users would not be
able to change the color balance of a printable cd/dvd but he should be dragged out
into the streets and shot. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

UPDATE: ==============================================

Here is the process in pictures and changing the settings don't have any effect like they do when printing on a sheet of paper, btw the print quality on the printable disc is superb it's just not black enough.

snag0026op2.png

snag0027pv4.png

snag0028rs1.png

snag0030qr5.png

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Why you would not try third party programs instead? I would shoot someone at Canon for my trouble in getting reasnoable hot pixel free camera at 40D price range. Did mention dust in new camera?

Try the Discus program: http://www.magicmouse.com/h_discus_detail.html

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I tried letting photoshop handle the colors but I still get the same results.

I also tried Nero Cover designer and got the same result.

I'm thinking once you choose cd-r tray x in the printer properties it ignores any third party app and takes over and handles the color balance.

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My candidate for execution is the one who decided not to allow more than 23" of paper length in the i9900. Presumably because Canon does not sell paper that long.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have an MP830 and use Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker for printing on disks.

After selecting the label to print and clicking on "Print", the initial "Properties" pop-up window allows one to select the printer to be used. Also on this window is a button "Properties" within which you can set color balance by selecting "Manual" in the "Colors/Intensity" section.

One other nice feature in the "Properties" pop-up window is the able to toggle on "Preview Before Printing" which allows me to see the finished product from the printer's perspective. This has saved a few disks from having mis-aligned labels printed (eg the image skewed to one side or not completely covering the printable surface of the disk such that a crescent of white unprinted media is showing, like in your example jpg.). You might also see the results of your changing color balance prior to printing, though I have not tried it yet.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
stratman said:
I have an MP830 and use Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker for printing on disks.

After selecting the label to print and clicking on "Print", the initial "Properties" pop-up window allows one to select the printer to be used. Also on this window is a button "Properties" within which you can set color balance by selecting "Manual" in the "Colors/Intensity" section.

One other nice feature in the "Properties" pop-up window is the able to toggle on "Preview Before Printing" which allows me to see the finished product from the printer's perspective. This has saved a few disks from having mis-aligned labels printed (eg the image skewed to one side or not completely covering the printable surface of the disk such that a crescent of white unprinted media is showing, like in your example jpg.). You might also see the results of your changing color balance prior to printing, though I have not tried it yet.
The problem with black steams from the IP3000 only having 4 inks, it tries to use the 3 inks to produce a black and it comes out blue. With regular printing I could make sure black was used by selecting, draft mode, high mode or glossy photo paper.

Draft mode = Black ink is used

Standard mode + Plain Paper = 3 colors only

High Mode + Plain Paper = Black ink is used

Glossy photopaper + standard mode = Black ink used.

image9vf6.jpg

A test of plain paper + draft mode.

The color balance properties don't seem to have much impact when printing to cd media.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Save you self the aggravation and get an Epson R380 you wont be disappointed.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
lolopr1 said:
Save you self the aggravation and get an Epson R380 you wont be disappointed.
It's not the printer it's the old inks that I'm using in it and unfortunately picking a model that has only 4 inks instead the better 5 ink models that they made. I also have a IP6600 which prints a dark vivid black.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
KnightCrawler:

I can select a "Print Quality" of either High, Standard, Fast or Custom from the Properties window (as accessed as I previously discussed within Acoustica CD Label Maker). I can also set up the printer to print in High Print Quality mode for a variety of media directly from Canon's own software as accessed in "Printers and Faxes" in Windows.

I don't know what you can and can not access in your IP3000, so the options available to me with my MP830 may be quite different than yours. The issue, though, is getting your printer to recognize the CD/DVD media as other than Plain Paper In Standard Mode so the dedicated black ink cartridge is used.

Just wondering - are you using aftermarket inks or are you using OEM Canon ink? Also, what inkjet printable media are you using - could it be the printable surface is causing a color shift? If you get reasonably good blacks on plain paper in Standard mode, where black is 'composite' or a mixture of the CYM ink, then maybe it's the disks you are you using that is causing a color shift.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Ik think the most common problem is, as stratman is mentioning it, a colour shift caused by the surface of the printable discs itself. I found out that my prints on my printable DVD's are darker in colour than printed on the printable CD's.