I hate Canon

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Here is the process in pictures and changing the settings don't have any effect like they do when printing on a sheet of paper, btw the print quality on the printable disc is superb it's just not black enough.

snag0026op2.png

snag0027pv4.png

snag0028rs1.png

snag0030qr5.png

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
KnightCrawler,

I don't have any experience printing CDs, but the last screenshot shows a "Set" button in the "Color/Intensity:" section. Aren't there individual color adjustments there?

As Pharmacist indicated, the media surface can have a large effect on the final colors. I don't even want to think about how you would create a custom profile for CDs.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The fact you are using a CMY model instead of an CMYK based printer (like the IP4000 and higher models), it is most likely the creation of "black" is causing this blueish teint on your CD/DVD surface. On real CMYK printers as in the case of the IP4000 you will have real black ink on the surface, but even in this case the surface might give a colour shift from let's say to a dark grey instead of intense black.

A possible solution to resolve this problem: after drying, spray your printed CD/DVD's with a special protection spray for CD/DVD's/photo paper to make it smudge and waterresistant. In most cases this will also make your print fade resistant against UV light. You will be suprised to see a significant deeper and more intense colour after applying this coating. It might be your blueish teint is turning into an intense black.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I thought we covered this issue a year ago in this thread:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1642

Also note my response with a link in that thread.
We did with making dvd covers but I wasn't using it to print to media. I have a ton of ink left for that printer so I was going to use it for printing dvd covers. I then decided to start using it to also print inkjet printable media as well. If only there was a way to manually over ride the decision not to use the black ink.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
KnightCrawler, I know you were trying to print to covers back then but drummund52 was having your same problem trying to print to discs. The problem is the iP3000 does not have a dye black ink cartridge and apparently the printable discs cannot take the pigment black ink which is the only one the iP3000 has. Drummund52 solved the problem by purchasing a printer that had a dye black ink cartridge. The pigment black ink cartridge is only used on plain paper.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
KnightCrawler, I know you were trying to print to covers back then but drummund52 was having your same problem trying to print to discs. The problem is the iP3000 does not have a dye black ink cartridge and apparently the printable discs cannot take the pigment black ink which is the only one the iP3000 has. Drummund52 solved the problem by purchasing a printer that had a dye black ink cartridge. The pigment black ink cartridge is only used on plain paper.
It does use black ink on printable media when you have black text, since the black I'm printing is a background it must see it as a graphic or photo and try and use composite black.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well I thought I would throw in my 2cents. My Canon ip6600d has 6 colors including the black dye ink. With my recend modification to convert it into printing CD's/DVD's, I've printed about a dozen DVD's. The black is excellent. However I do not use anything in the CD Label Print software or the Canon Print Advisor to affect any colors. I leave the settings in default mode. I use Microsoft Office 2003 Picture Manager to edit any DVD cover I plan to print. I enhance to image and modify the mid range colors and the intensity, brightness/contrast, etc. until I have what I like,.... then I print the DVD. So far they have been great.

Right now I using some old TDK printable DVD blanks that I would not recommend to anyone because the quality of the recorded media is not that good. It has been rated on the Videohelp forum as about the worst you can buy. However, the printable label side looks very close to high resoltuion matt photo paper.

I'm sure my colors come out great because I have the 6 full colors from my ip6600D.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ROFLMAO... and so KC heads off into the world of counterfeit software and other dark pursuits... :D