HP Premium Plus paper and L18050

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
Then just don't use that HP paper - all current papers are of the type of 'instant dry' - it is not really technically dry but dry to the touch
I am hoping "fast dry" does not mean "never dry".

For what its worth, I set brightness to +20 in the "Color Correction" menu and the print looks ok. From the looks of it maybe +25 would be fine too.

@Ink stained Fingers , When you make your profiles, how do you decide on a print density setting?

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The drivers for some of the newer A3 Epson printer models have a print density setting - but not all of them, and I don't know wether that's the case for your printer.
You reach it via the Extended settings on the maintenance tab, there is a slider for the print density setting at the bottom of that windows - but again - not all drivers have it - this is a screen print of the ET-8550 .

Print density.png

When you make your profiles, how do you decide on a print density setting?
I'm using in most cases the standard/default value and use the no color controls setting when printing the profile patch sheets.

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
The drivers for some of the newer A3 Epson printer models have a print density setting - but not all of them, and I don't know wether that's the case for your printer.
You reach it via the Extended settings on the maintenance tab, there is a slider for the print density setting at the bottom of that windows - but again - not all drivers have it - this is a screen print of the ET-8550 .

View attachment 15540

I'm using in most cases the standard/default value and use the no color controls setting when printing the profile patch sheets.

The Extended Settings menu looks exactly the same on the L18050 as your screenshot above

Do you know what’s the difference between changing “Print Density” on the extended settings menu, and “Density” on the color correction menu?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't need to change the print density settings for the profiles of papers I'm using.

I don't know the difference of the density settings - give it a try with a paper which works normally.

If you have ink on a paper which is not dry after 1 hour you either print on the wrong side - the print of the HP logo is a very light shadow print which you don't see under regular prints. Give it a try on the other side - or you are not using an inkjet paper at all if that does not make a difference - but e.g. a glossy paper for laser printers.

Last edited:

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
I don't need to change the print density settings for the profiles of papers I'm using.

I don't know the difference of the density settings - give it a try with a paper which works normally.

If you have ink on a paper which is not dry after 1 hour you either print on the wrong side - the print of the HP logo is a very light shadow print which you don't see under regular prints. Give it a try on the other side - or you are not using an inkjet paper at all if that does not make a difference - but e.g. a glossy paper for laser printers.

In addition to the HP logo there is also a barcode and arrow on the back of the paper... its pretty obvious what is the back side tbh.

The ink is dry to the touch immediately after printing, but an hour after printing the ink will come off with a damp cloth.

24hrs after printing, the prints appear to have dried normally.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
HP is selling the Premium Plus Photo Paper under the partnumber CR674A or CR672A, I'm using it - there are no barcodes on the backside of the paper , and it's of the instant dry type. How old is your paper ?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It should have been pretty obvious the user was using a swellable paper early on...by the time he mentioned swelling and raised areas. BANG. The aspect that when standard printing is done is gets worse is also another gong that was rung.
To the user. Swellable papers are very nice papers when the appropriate printer is used. When they age their ink limits decrease unless they are reconditoned again. This aspect of hardening over time is a good thing. Most photo Epson printers are unable to use the HP swellable ( Ilford Classic) because of the bias of the printer to use lots of the lighter shades in most images. So ink limits are quickly reached. Furthermore the lack of grey ink channels also require higher ink loading in most photos.
This paper is excellent for a printer like a Pro-100 or 200, XP15000 and possiblt the ET8550 but beware here in the darker shades because the gray in the 8550 is very light and is used a lot and could produce overloading.
If you are able to slow down the printer enough you could be lucky BUT it appears the chances are slim if the dither pattern is similar to the older 1400 which I believe it is.
Suggestion. Package this up and sell it to some who own one of the above machines. They will vastly extend the life of the print. These papers have been discontinued for over ten years but there are still some people who appreciate what these are about.
I still have my stash of 13x19s and Ilford Classic Pearl with these finishes, Beautiful papers but must be mounted behind glass because even when dry they cannot tolerate any water at all.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Thanks for clarification, I was asking for the age of the paper which would confirm that it is of the swellable type, and it is a very rare instance that it is showing up like that. The coating was most likely hardening over time and taking less ink now. That is a paper which would need a 'Best before' date which is long expired.

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
After tweaking the print settings to slow down the printer, I could fix the ink pooling issue. The prints look good enough to me, but the contrast seems too high when using 100% ink density. 80% seems very slightly faded

That said I got myself a Specto (ES-2000) what do I do now? 😂

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
HP is selling the Premium Plus Photo Paper under the partnumber CR674A or CR672A, I'm using it - there are no barcodes on the backside of the paper , and it's of the instant dry type. How old is your paper ?
I have no idea tbh, got it really cheap, about $0.05 euro equivalent per A4 sheet. I have a huge stack of the stuff 😂