HP Premium Plus paper and L18050

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
It should have been pretty obvious the user was using a swellable paper early on...by the time he mentioned swelling and raised areas. BANG. The aspect that when standard printing is done is gets worse is also another gong that was rung.
To the user. Swellable papers are very nice papers when the appropriate printer is used. When they age their ink limits decrease unless they are reconditoned again. This aspect of hardening over time is a good thing. Most photo Epson printers are unable to use the HP swellable ( Ilford Classic) because of the bias of the printer to use lots of the lighter shades in most images. So ink limits are quickly reached. Furthermore the lack of grey ink channels also require higher ink loading in most photos.
This paper is excellent for a printer like a Pro-100 or 200, XP15000 and possiblt the ET8550 but beware here in the darker shades because the gray in the 8550 is very light and is used a lot and could produce overloading.
If you are able to slow down the printer enough you could be lucky BUT it appears the chances are slim if the dither pattern is similar to the older 1400 which I believe it is.
Suggestion. Package this up and sell it to some who own one of the above machines. They will vastly extend the life of the print. These papers have been discontinued for over ten years but there are still some people who appreciate what these are about.
I still have my stash of 13x19s and Ilford Classic Pearl with these finishes, Beautiful papers but must be mounted behind glass because even when dry they cannot tolerate any water at all.
How exactly do I “recondition” it?

Put it into a dry cabinet on the maximum setting?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
That said I got myself a Specto (ES-2000) what do I do now?
You got the spectro but no software with it apparently, there is some free software available - ArgyllCMS - but I can't be of help with it - I don't use it, but there are extensive postings for the use of the ArgyllCMS software with the i1Pro/ES2000 spectro

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...ms-profiling-on-your-computer.8570/post-67743

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/first-time-using-argyllcms.15864/post-138280

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
HP is selling the Premium Plus Photo Paper under the partnumber CR674A or CR672A, I'm using it - there are no barcodes on the backside of the paper , and it's of the instant dry type. How old is your paper ?
The HP product number is 5187-1685