HP Premium Plus paper and L18050

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
I am having some trouble with this paper on a L18050...

light blue and white sky turns out ok, but darker areas of the print has ink pooling issues

I tried:
  • Epson Matte paper setting instead of glossy
  • Plain paper instead of glossy (this was the worst result)
  • Quiet Mode = on (prints slower)
  • Bi-directional printing = off (prints slower)
  • Color Correction -> Color Management -> Epson Standard (this did help the oversaturation issue)
Any ideas would be helpful

edit: Using Quality: High produces better results..... I thought we wanted to put down LESS ink, not more.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
That is an issue with the ink limit of that paper; are you printing with a profile ? Do you have an option in the advanced settings on the maintenance tab to adjust the ink limit in the driver ? Or can you change the black intensity in the advanced color settings ?

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
Unlike Epson Premium Glossy, which produces a completely smooth result, HP Premium Plus paper seems to have indentations in the paper wherever more ink is put down.

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
That is an issue with the ink limit of that paper; are you printing with a profile ? Do you have an option in the advanced settings on the maintenance tab to adjust the ink limit in the driver ? Or can you change the black intensity in the advanced color settings ?

There is a print density setting, -50% to +20% under Maintenance -> Extended Settings

Using Quality: High made a huge difference to the dark areas of the print, but is now producing a roller mark issue

Last edited:

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
Somehow the print appears very dark placed next to a Epson Premium Glossy print

When inspected under bright light the colors look fine, but in regular room light it looks very dark

Does this have to do with the "ink limit"?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There is a print density setting, -50% to +20% under Maintenance -> Extended Settings
Try a -20% setting for the ink density and check if you still get ink pooling.

Using Quality: High made a huge difference to the dark areas of the print, but is now producing a roller mark issue
Go and fix one issue after the other - it is possible that you get a different print output if you change the print quality - the best would be that you get icc-profiles for specific papers and driver settings.

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
Try a -20% setting for the ink density and check if you still get ink pooling.

Go and fix one issue after the other - it is possible that you get a different print output if you change the print quality - the best would be that you get icc-profiles for specific papers and driver settings.

I think I need to pick your brains on this.
  • Note: My Monitors are calibrated but I have no hardware to make my own profiles

1) I managed to fix the ink pooling issue with the following settings
  • Print quality = High
  • Quiet Printing = On
  • Bidirectional Printing = Off
  • In addition to the above, setting ink density to -20% and -50% did not improve the pooling issue any further
2) Following an hour of drying time, I attempted to clean some dirt from one of the prints using a damp tissue (it contained only water and wasn't excessively wet). To my astonishment, the blue ink was effortlessly wiped away from the paper with just a single swipe. I understand that dye ink isn't waterproof, but could this suggest that the ink isn't seeping into the resin layer but instead remains on its surface?
IMG_7574.jpg

3) I'm puzzled by the notable contrast in "perceived brightness" between the image on the Epson Premium Glossy paper and the image on my monitor. When comparing the Epson paper to the monitor display, the brightness appears to be perceptually accurate (in the sense that it's technically dimmer, but my eyes adapt to the dimmer appearance). However, the HP paper results in a considerably darker image.

Interestingly, when the HP image is illuminated with a bright light (like my video light), the colors appear perfectly fine! Is there a way to improve the look of the HP image?

IMG_7575.jpg
IMG_7576.jpg

These are the settings used for the HP print, I switched out of automatic because automatic produced an over-saturated image. Automatic appears to be using Epson Vivid.
Screenshot 2023-09-07 233735.png

The -20% print density setting (not the same as the density setting in the image above) makes the image worse - the contrast suffers

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
2) Following an hour of drying time, I attempted to clean some dirt from one of the prints using a damp tissue (it contained only water and wasn't excessively wet). To my astonishment, the blue ink was effortlessly wiped away from the paper with just a single swipe. I understand that dye ink isn't waterproof, but could this suggest that the ink isn't seeping into the resin layer but instead remains on its surface?
It appears to me that you are printing on the wrong side of the paper - please try on the other side

Is there a way to improve the look of the HP image?
The most reliable way is color mgmt - working with a calibrated monitor and the printer using profiles for the papers you are using. The alternative - in case of smaller deviations between printer and monitor - are color adjustments in the driver such that you think that prints match the monitor to the degree that you think it's o.k. for you.

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
It appears to me that you are printing on the wrong side of the paper - please try on the other side

The most reliable way is color mgmt - working with a calibrated monitor and the printer using profiles for the papers you are using. The alternative - in case of smaller deviations between printer and monitor - are color adjustments in the driver such that you think that prints match the monitor to the degree that you think it's o.k. for you.

It is not possible that I am printing on the wrong side of the paper, because the other side of the paper has "HP PREMIUM PLUS" all over it.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Then just don't use that HP paper - all current papers are of the type of 'instant dry' - it is not really technically dry but dry to the touch