Hp Designjet T120

Max64

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Designjet T120
I have a Hp Designjet T120 24" wide format printer with firmware APP2CN1733AR i am having issues trying to install Ciss Ink System or compatible cartridges. It keeps reading damage or missing cartridges. Can anyone help

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What is the specific error message?

It appears there is a firmware update for your printer.

Usually, the forum recommends people to NOT update their firmware unless there is a specific reason to update, ie fix an issue they are experiencing or to provide an added function you want that you do not have currently.

However, an experience I had with a friend's HP 8610 may be reason for you to update the firmware. My friend ran out of ink and the aftermarket compatible cartridges he bought from a reputable local shop would not print. They were recognized as full in the HP ink level utility but attempts to print resulted in an error. the solution was to update his printer's firmware. Success!

It appears that HP is much kinder to those who use aftermarket compatible cartridges than some other printer manufacturers.

I have no recommendations about using a CISS with your printer.

Knowing the specific error messages you are receiving would be helpful to know before absolutely recommending you update your firmware to allow for compatible cartridge use.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
HP has published a firmware update for a wide range of HP printers , all major model families including the T120
https://support.hp.com/de-de/document/c06097712 are affected.
This nevertheless won't fix your problems.
It appears that HP is much kinder to those who use aftermarket compatible cartridges than some other printer manufacturers.
yes and no - HP is playing similar tricks as all the other manufacturers to prevent usage of aftermarket cartridges, using serial numbers, preventing use of resettable chips whatever. It all depends on the overall age of the produt family and its market penetration. a specific HP user forum or suppliers of such CISS and cartridge equipment should be able to tell you what is possible. If you purchased the CISS as new and it won't work as promised you may return it to the supplier or get an updated version or whatever - you purchased a model with the promise that it works.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
yes and no - HP is playing similar tricks as all the other manufacturers to prevent usage of aftermarket cartridges
What I learned from this encounter was HP released a firmware update that allowed use of compatibles for my friend's HP 8610. It wasn't the first time that HP did this according to the people at the refill ink shop. Any other manufacturer done the same?

Maybe HP created the problem in the first place, but they corrected it and that should be recognized.

HP has published a firmware update for a wide range of HP printers , all major model families including the T120
https://support.hp.com/de-de/document/c06097712 are affected.
This nevertheless won't fix your problems.
It also should not hurt according to the description:

Fixes / Enhancements included in AXP2CN1809AR version:
  • Printer accepts up to 620mm roll (24inch models).
  • New paper preset "Transparent/Clear Film KOD" added.
  • Media preset "Plane Paper For Graphics" fixed.
  • KRACK (CVE-2017-13077, CVE-2017-13078, CVE-2017-13079, CVE-2017-13080 and CVE-2017-13081) vulnerabilities fixed.
Fixes / Enhancements included in AXP2CN1733AR version:
  • Improvement to the bottom margin when printing from L-tray (from 17mm to 5mm).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
having issues trying to install Ciss Ink System or compatible cartridges. It keeps reading damage or missing cartridges.
One other thing from my experience with the ink refill shop folks... If the pins or contacts on the printer that the cartridge plugs into are damaged or bent then you will also get an error message. Same goes for damage to the electrical contacts on the cartridge.

One issue with refilling the HP 95x cartridges is that the gold contacts can become scratched over time and then the cartridge will not be recognized.

These issues may not apply to you but it might be a good thing to check the contacts on the printer and cartridges.