HP C309a w/CIS Review, Humbly Submitted by a Forum Newbie

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
jyoung4 I previously owned a HP C5380 which is the same series using the HP 364/564 carts. Like ThrillaMozzilla I found ink usage very high. I originally refilled the standard size carts with the Inktec kits which work very well but not suitable for the XL carts which really are the only viable option. With these I used the German refill method with variable results. I then tried some refillable ones via E-bay. They were fine to start with but then starting to get ink starvation problems. I got fed up with all the problems and sold the printer and switched to Canon with the older BCI carts which refill easily.

In my view .Kgvickers did the right thing and the only way to get economical use out of these HP M/C's. They print fine but are difficult to refill. they produce error messages to further confuse and no chip resetter is available

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
What problems did you have with the German method, barfl2? I've had some problems with ink flow, possibly related to used, dried cartridges. I'll post more details when I get them.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla I had patchy results, difficulty in finding the entrance to the tank. But the main problem was I never did manage to get right through to the pigment black. I never at that time thought of weighing the carts, possibly that idea came after I had sold the printer. I thought the clear refillable ones with OCP ink would be the answer with the chips transferred from the OEM, but they started having inkflow problems. although the ink was fine.

I got fed up with the continous cleaning cycles and without a resetter the printer continually warning you of dire results if you continued. And one day it just packed up. HP took me through a long list of tests and at the end they said the print head was faulty.

They sent me a new one under warranty with a set of standard carts, so I thought I would sell it whilst it was working OK. Got very little money for it but luckily bought my Canon Pixma MP760 cheaply. That was great until yesterday when I saw a sheet of paper going in crooked. Like a fool I yanked it out, now have error message that I have the wrong print head fitted. So I have posted hoping one of our experts will be able to help. I did wonder about those reset CD's you see advertised whether they are any good or not.

This Canon has been brilliant, very easy to refill have used all 3 methods now. very quiet and very economical on ink compared to the HP. The HP was very solid and well built, much better access to the inside, much faster scan and copy. Opaque carts were pretty new and it is only recently that Canon owners having getting to grips of refilling them and there is a lot more knowledge available now and now a resetter as well.