HP C309a w/CIS Review, Humbly Submitted by a Forum Newbie

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
How about one of your mod-job foam padding? It's the next most important thing after whether your CIS works correctly.
Added foam picture. If you look closely you'll see that the foam was not there in the second picture. I was originally just laying the foam in place and closing the lid during the "proof of concept" stage. As you can see in the fourth picture, it's now installed (double sided tape).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
kgvickers said:
stratman said:
How about one of your mod-job foam padding? It's the next most important thing after whether your CIS works correctly.
Added foam picture. If you look closely you'll see that the foam was not there in the second picture. I was originally just laying the foam in place and closing the lid during the "proof of concept" stage. As you can see in the fourth picture, it's now installed (double sided tape).
Necessity is the mother of all invention.

Nice.

Thank you for the pictures. I'll link the thread to my friend that owns the same printer. Like I said, now I want one!

Please keep us informed. I am curious to hear of your experience with refilling and overall general usage.

martin30e

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i was looking at getting this model my self does any one know were i can get a ciss ink system for this printer in the uk please

many thanks

vin

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi kgvickers,

Any update on your experience using CIS with the HP C309? I'm more than likely going to order the CIS kit, but would hold off if you've had any major problems 3 months in.

Thanks!
Vin

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
kgvickers..

Keith I noticed on you great pics that the tubing (Pic 2) is sticking up when the print head is in the centre position. I have found if youre doing high quality photos youre lightly to get fine streaks across your photos if you dont leave the lid a bit open during printing. The tube tends to wallops the lid enough to cause the print head to lose position ever so slightly while travelling up and back. I always keep the lid on my printers open for photos

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
vin said:
Hi kgvickers,

Any update on your experience using CIS with the HP C309? I'm more than likely going to order the CIS kit, but would hold off if you've had any major problems 3 months in.

Thanks!
Vin
No problems at all. I'm very happy with this CIS.

Keith

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
kgvickers..

Keith I noticed on you great pics that the tubing (Pic 2) is sticking up when the print head is in the centre position. I have found if youre doing high quality photos youre lightly to get fine streaks across your photos if you dont leave the lid a bit open during printing. The tube tends to wallops the lid enough to cause the print head to lose position ever so slightly while travelling up and back. I always keep the lid on my printers open for photos
I've not noticed any streaking but I seldom print photos in the maximum resolution. I'll give it a try just to see. I'm pretty sure this printer "knows" if the lid is open and won't print so I'll have to "fool" it by depressing a switch somewhere.

Thanks,

Keith

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Update: First Refill

After using the printer a fair amount for around six months, it was time for a refill of the CIS. I got the $45 refill kit from the same vendor that I purchased the CIS from. The instructions were straightforward and well written. The refilling was very easy and I got only a few spots of ink on my fingers.

I had to add about 36 ml to the pigmented black and about 16 to 24 ml to the photo colors (magenta was least, yellow was most). Based on the amount left in the bottles, I'll likely get another year and a half before I have to re-order refill ink, assuming the shelf life of the ink is that long (comments, anyone?).

I've tried to do a cost analysis/comparison to the genuine HP cartridges but I've been unable to find any information on how much ink is physically in the cartridges. If anyone knows that, please post it.

I have a question for the forum - how should I clean the syringes? I've always just rinsed them with tap water and let them air dry but if that's not the best way, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Keith

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
After sucking tap water into a syringe and ejecting it several times, I just pump the syringe to get as much water out of it, leaving the plunger all the way in.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi kgvickesrs the ink capacities in the 564 Xl carts is colors 10ml black pigment 22 good luck with your calculations.

Your CISS article very interesting. wish I could find something suitable in the UK apart from E-bay items. I have posted my
difficulties in re-fillling this 364/564 carts reliably. and keeping the M/C happy as well with its continous flashing lights, warning messages etc. your system seems to have got round all these problems.