HP C309a w/CIS Review, Humbly Submitted by a Forum Newbie

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm expert enough to submit a review on here so I've got my flame-suit on.

After frustration with too many printers on my desk (old HP Deskjet 970, HP LaserJet 6mp, Epson R320, and an Epson scanner) I decided to investigate All-In-One printers. I've generally stayed away from such products because there is a compromise in each area, but after seeing how enamored a certain vendor was with the HP C309a I decided to try it.

I got it at Costco for $209.95 several weeks ago. Since then their price dropped to $149.95. I was able to do the "return/rebuy" thing. Ka-ching, sweet!

Setup was a breeze. Rather than loading the software on the CD, I downloaded all the latest stuff from HP's website. I initially installed HP's infamously bloated "everything" software package simply to be sure everything got setup correctly. I later un-installed that and then installed only the basic drivers. Seems to be working just fine. In fact, I suspect that loading only the basic drivers to begin with would have worked OK. I have the printer connected to my wireless network and so far this has worked flawlessly, even though my router is beginning to get flakey and it occasionally needs resetting. The printer always reconnects.

I used it for a few days with the original HP cartridges prior to ordering the CIS just to be sure I intended to keep it. So far Im very pleased. Print speeds are not the best but I seldom print big jobs at home anyway so time is usually not a factor. Im using Costco branded 4x6 photo paper for the photo prints, and at normal viewing distance for 47 year old eyes the prints are excellent. If I get out the loop I can see the graininess . . . but lets be frank, whens the last time your Grandmother examined a print that closely and said Get a better printer, you cheapo. Ive been using an Epson R320 w/CIS for the past several years for my photos this new HP makes better pictures.

A common complaint among 'net reviews is all the noise this thing makes, especially just before and after printing. I've noticed that too but I've decided to live with it. My fear is that it's flushing copious amounts of precious ink through the heads to improve HP's bottom line . . .

The scanner has worked fine for me but Im not very picky in that department. The document feeder has been great for PDF-ing a few documents for archive. The copy function works fine, too.

Ive not tried the fax yet. I supposed I should just to verify it works.

I got the CIS from www.inkproducts.com. The most difficult part was getting the chips off the original HP cartridges . . . they were supposed to include a custom tool but it was not in the box. A bench vise and some dental floss did the trick.

This CIS is the variety with the fill ports and the air vents on the side, a design which lends itself to ink leaks if the tanks are accidentally squeezed when the vents are open. I did exactly that while moving the tanks around after installation. Fortunately the spill was on a formica shelf and the cleanup was easy. It would have been nice if there had been a warning about this in the instructions.

The first dozen or so prints with the CIS ink looked a bit odd. I suspect that the aftermarket ink had an odd mix with the OEM ink that was still in the print head. But other than those few, the prints have been perfect. I cannot detect any difference between the prints from the HP carts vs. prints from this CIS. As far as Im concerned the ink is perfect.

This vendors tube routing design does lend itself to lots of noise, however. When the print head moves to the right (when viewing from the front of the printer) the tube assembly literally slaps the printer lid. I dont think this is an issue, but for an anal engineer like me, this is quite annoying. I placed some really thin foam (actually auto headliner material about thick) between the tubes and the lid and this eliminated all the slapping noise that I could detect.

One thing that is really annoying is that the printer will stop printing when it brings up that stupid low-ink warning. Now its telling me that use of non-HP cartridges will void the warranty. Hitting the OK button satisfies it to the point that it keeps printing. This is really only a problem when I start a print job and walk away, only to return and see the job incomplete with the printer waiting for an acknowledgement. Im hoping that eventually someone cracks this and sells some aftermarket chips that will alleviate this.

Its not the perfect solution to household printing but its close enough for me. The kids really like the fact that they dont have to turn-on the central computer just to print homework. Im happy that it gets enough use to keep the print heads from drying out. Fewer headaches and more deskspace is nice, too.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for the report, kgvickers.

I have a friend with the same printer and his grandmother is very picky about her photos. Just Kidding!

A couple of questions:

1) How long did it take for the installation?

2) Did you have to make any other modifications besides the foam padding?

3) Have you refilled any of the tanks yet? I've read of issues with air in the tubing may occur with CIS systems in general.

4) Have you printed on CD/DVD's yet? How's the quality?

5) Any pictures you might post? The ones on the vendors website are tiny.

Sounds like the HP does not permanently override ink level monitoring like the Canons do. Having to override the warnings often/always (?) is a real PITA. I've seen the great output of this printer. Once enough people, or the right people, have this printer, I would think the chip system will be cracked/patched in some fashion.

Thanks for the review. And don't worry, you're flame-proof. :)

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
1) How long did it take for the installation?

I did not time myself, but probably about 45 minutes. I took my time. It can probably be done in about 10 minutes with some experience.

2) Did you have to make any other modifications besides the foam padding?

No.

3) Have you refilled any of the tanks yet? I've read of issues with air in the tubing may occur with CIS systems in general.

No, just started using it a few days ago. The level in the tanks has barely moved.

4) Have you printed on CD/DVD's yet? How's the quality?

Nope, sorry. I'll stick a label on a blank CD and try it sometime.

Unfortunately I have this highly inconvenient thing called a "job" that takes up a lot of my free time. It's really a big hassle - why can't they just give me the money without having to show up for at least 40 hours per week? AND, they expect me to do this thing they call "work" while I'm here. Sheesh, the nerve of these corporations.

So, the pictures will have to wait. I'll edit after I get some shots of the setup.

Keith

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Pics:

4912_cis.jpg

4912_cis_003.jpg

4912_cis_002.jpg

4912_printer.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
kgvickers said:

Unfortunately I have this highly inconvenient thing called a "job" that takes up a lot of my free time. It's really a big hassle - why can't they just give me the money without having to show up for at least 40 hours per week? AND, they expect me to do this thing they call "work" while I'm here. Sheesh, the nerve of these corporations.

So, the pictures will have to wait. I'll edit after I get some shots of the setup.

Keith
My friend's grandmother says you should not be complaining about having a job in today's economy. ;-)

All kidding aside, thanks for the pictures. How about one of your mod-job foam padding? It's the next most important thing after whether your CIS works correctly.

Good job Keith!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Have to love the humour... especially about the job... I mean, like, really?!
:)

Noticed the photos bear out what I've been hearing for a while now... Canon sold this design to HP and are probably producing it with HP's distinctive shell... If you ever get a chance to take a picture of the ink receivers (the bit the ink is fed into from the cartridges) that would be appreciated (between those pesky work hours obviously ;)).

Cheers.

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
If you ever get a chance to take a picture of the ink receivers (the bit the ink is fed into from the cartridges) that would be appreciated (between those pesky work hours obviously ;)).

Cheers.
Here's a reasonable pic of the printhead: http://www.inkproducts.com/PDF Instructions/How to flush 564 printhead.pdf

The CIS cartridges can be seen here: http://www.inkproducts.com/PDF Instructions/HP PhotosmarC309a CIS Ins.pdf

The 564 refillable cartridges can be seen here: http://www.inkproducts.com/PDF Instructions/Refilling our HP 564 cartridges003.pdf

Does that give the detail you need?

Keith

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the official relationship between Canon and HP. Going way back since the days of the first Laserjets HP use Canon engines and now we see this, so I am left wondering?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I couldn't give anything like an official idea of what the relationship is but the general scuttlebutt indicates that HP buy Canon designs from Canon and then rework some key items. As you said Mike, the laser relationship is long established from what I gather but these inkjets are a new twist...

Looking at the overall design I'd guess the chips are definitely HP while the overall case is also HP style.. Let's be honest not many folks are likely to spot the similarity unless they stare at their cartridges for any length of time.

The bit I find interesting is that the chips are different so Canon is obviously holding that close to their chest or HP simply doesn't want to invest in technology that is now being cracked in less time than originally.

Anyway, I'm leading another thread all over the shop so I'll shurrup now..