HP 901 Refill - First Rime Refilling

shield4life

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
LoL ^^^ I'll fill him up until he can take it no more.

abay12

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I agree with "gigigogu" sometimes he printer head is blocked or the cartridge just dries out(at the point where it needs to sprinkle the ink. I had a similar problem. I bought my Hp ink from :

inkman.com.au/category/hp-ink-toner-printer-cartridge

(it was a compatible alternative) and tried to use it right away but it didn't work I called them up(the supplier) and they told me that you might have dried up your ink. So I cleaned it using a paper towel and some ink came after pressing it two-three times. I inserted it again and it worked!

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
abay12 said:
(it was a compatible alternative) and tried to use it right away but it didn't work I called them up(the supplier) and they told me that you might have dried up your ink. So I cleaned it using a paper towel and some ink came after pressing it two-three times. I inserted it again and it worked!
Where did you press? Did you try to squeeze the cart or pressed the paper towel at the exit port?

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
gigigogu said:
If no, it needs to be primed. For this the best tool is a dedicated refill clip that allows to draw some ink out.

Without refill clip you may try to:
- overfill (not recommended)
- seal all but one holes on top and then with a syringe full of air apply some pressure on unsealed hole
- with the cartridge upside down drip ink onto nozzles, see if the ink is absorbed inside

Good luck.
In my Canon tri-color cartridge, 2 colors (ink - Magenta & Cyan) are coming out but Yellow isn't. In the second option above (apply some pressure with air), do I have to insert the syringe into the foam (fully or half way) and then apply the pressure. Or apply the pressure with out inserting the needle into the cart (just keep it over the refill hole)?

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just fit the tip of syringe, without needle, over the (enlarged) hole. The pressure should be gentle and applied in short pulses.
However, this is risky and I do not recommend it unless is the last resort.

From your other topics "Yellow not flowing in CL-811" and "First Refill - Canon" I suspect is more a clogging issue because of interaction of refill ink and OEM ink.
Try first to draw out all ink in Yellow compartment, then fill it with cleaning solution (commercial or forum member pharmacist recipe), also let the cartridge soak over night in cleaning solution (warning, only nozzles should touch the liquid) and see if there is any improvement.

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
gigigogu said:
Try first to draw out all ink in Yellow compartment, then fill it with cleaning solution (commercial or forum member pharmacist recipe), also let the cartridge soak over night in cleaning solution (warning, only nozzles should touch the liquid) and see if there is any improvement.
How do I empty the yellow? Should I take it out by sucking it with syringe through the refill hole? If I am doing this, is it necessary to empty out magenta and Cyan also? If I seat the exit port on an absorbent paper (Napkin), it will pull out magenta and Cyan.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Use a empty syringe with the tip of needle inserted deep in sponge, almost to the bottom of cartridge. It is not necessary to empty cyan and magenta.
BTW, at refill did you inserted the needle as above?

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes I did insert the syringe almost fully while refilling. I will try emptying Yellow and clean using cleaning solution.

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
gigigogu - I have pulled out the yellow ink and discarded the same (in case it is contaminated). I was surprised to find isoprpyl alchohol (100ml bottle) and Glycerine (50ml bottle 98% w/w) available in a local medical shop (I thought it may be difficult to get them). I made the mixture with 20ml and 3ml with 80ml distilled water and injected the same in the Yellow compartment.

I am going to leave it overnight (near the bath tub) but how will I know if the clog has been cleared? Do I have to remove the cleaning solution (using syringe), inject yellow ink and try?

I will also see if I can keep the nozzles wet by pouring some cleaning liquid on a flat surface and rest the cartridge. It will touch all three nozzles but I presume that should not matter.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Do not worry, there is enough remaining ink to color the cleaning solution. After soaking over night gently press few times the nozzles on a paper towel. If it worked, you will see a yellow band or at least moisture where yellow should be.
Because also cyan and magenta nozzles will be in contact with cleaning solution ink from these nozzles will flow out and there will be a little cross contamination between colors but this wont last long.
Before inserting the cartridge in printer be sure all moisture on electric contacts is wiped, also under flexible printed circuit (with a thin strip of paper).