HP 901 Refill - First Rime Refilling

shield4life

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What's up everyone!

This is the first time I'm actually refilling ink into my cartridge on my officejet. So I refilled the ink in the hp 901 cartridge (black), followed instructions on the paper which was included with the kit. After leaving it for 10 - 15 minutes, i put it back into the printer to test it out. The printer recognized the cartridge as a full cartridge, started printing but page came out blank. I was printing a word document with only black writing on it.

HP 901 Color is full, therefore if it didn't realize the cartridge was full (black one) it would of still used the colors to print it in black.

I've decided to leave it for an hour and re-test it again.

Did I do something wrong or I have to wait longer prior to testing the cartridge?

How will I know if the cartridge is finished / sponge is finished etc...

Thanks.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Your cartridge looks like HP 56, that I successfully refilled many times.

The cartridge may need to be primed. Press it on a folded paper towel and see if ink is coming out.

If no, it needs to be primed. For this the best tool is a dedicated refill clip that allows to draw some ink out.

Without refill clip you may try to:
- overfill (not recommended)
- seal all but one holes on top and then with a syringe full of air apply some pressure on unsealed hole
- with the cartridge upside down drip ink onto nozzles, see if the ink is absorbed inside

Good luck.

shield4life

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response gigigogu, do you know where I might be able to find a refill clip online so I can purchase one. Seems like something handy to keep around for refilling.

shield4life

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I also, have another question ... I'm kind of a noob. Am I supposed to stick the syringe in the sponge or just fill the cartridge without poking into the sponge. In other words I'm filling on top of the sponge and not into it. Am I doing this wrong or it makes no difference?

bsanotrun

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
shield4life said:
I also, have another question ... I'm kind of a noob. Am I supposed to stick the syringe in the sponge or just fill the cartridge without poking into the sponge. In other words I'm filling on top of the sponge and not into it. Am I doing this wrong or it makes no difference?
You should put the needle all the way into the cartridge and fill very very slowly, the printhead should leak ink slightly if not it will need priming.
to Prime wrap cart in absorbent paper (kitchen towel in uk)
place with printhead down in an old sock, take out side and swing franticly until you can see nice big ink mark on the Kitchen towel.

shield4life

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I empty the ink in the cartridge and refilled it by poking the syringe all the way in & then slowly filled it up. I also read somewhere to tap on the side to get the ink all the way down. Now it started leaking unlike previous times it wasn't leaking at all from the bottom part.

I'm going to try to test it in a couple of hours when I come back home. Hope it works out lol.

shield4life

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Here's an update, so ... retried printing and it worked it started working, all tho there was still some leaking probably due to my poor process on my first try.

or do i let it rest more!

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
First at refill be sure to inject only the recommended quantity of ink, I believe is 8 - 10 ml for black.
After refill, if drips, let it rest until it stop dripping.

shield4life

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
All right guys, here's the update.

After having a lot of problems leaking I've finally got the hang of it.

1- I had over filled it, so i sucked all the extra ink ... leaving just the sponge and the ink in the sponge. (Rookie mistake)
2- Realized that I had closed the air holes on top not giving the ink air to circulate.

Left it for 15 min ... no leaks / perfect printing after 1 clean try.

I'm going to refill my brother ink tonight hope all that experience paid off. :D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
shield4life I'm going to refill my brother ink tonight hope all that experience paid off. :D
That's very taught full of you, how long is your brother drinking ink.. :lol: