How to Schedule a nozzle check/test print in OSX.

Print_Peanuts

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P700 or P900 R3000
Hi Folks,

I understand that Qimage allows you to schedule, but it’s windows only. Has anybody found a way for the Mac? I recall Apple used to provide Automator to set up repetitive tasks but I’m not even sure it’s around today. I’m thinking of getting into printing images and considering a P700 or P900 although I might chicken out and take a good used R3000 to get started. I will be away from whichever printer I get for 5 months of the year, so I want to set up a daily auto nozzle check or weekly test image. I assume that’s the best thing to do if I want to avoid clogs.

If anybody can suggest my best strategy, I am concerned about leaving a P700/900 sitting idle for half the year. If there is no schedule solution, I’m considering using remote access to a Mac and firing off a print that way. I haven’t looked at RA on OSX for years but it’s got to be easy today?

I must say that one would think that Epson would make utility software available to allow for scheduling so that we all can keep our printers in good shape but alas it appears none of the propeller heads back in the lab has given it any thought!

mucho thanks.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I have been using Mac for 10 years and have printers that don't get used like they used to. I must confess I have not found any automated way to do a weekly nozzle test print, however I do it the old fashioned way. I have set up a recurring entry in Ical diary and it alerts me every Friday to go do a nozzle print :)

It just takes discipline :caf

UPDATE - you got me thinking about it again and I have found an article on how to do it with Automator and Crontab. I have not got it to work yet but you can give it a try maybe...

https://www.clayharmon.com/words/articles/exercising-your-printer-with-automator-and-crontab

UPDATE TO UPDATE :)

This solution works in a semi automatic way by setting an alert in the calendar. At the spcified day and time a box posp up with the option to open the file you wnat to print and you can then select print. It's actually a good way becsue you can then select other properties such as standard or high quality etc.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/schedule-automator-tasks-mac-os-x-39132.html

Last edited:

Print_Peanuts

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P700 or P900 R3000
I have been using Mac for 10 years and have printers that don't get used like they used to. I must confess I have not found any automated way to do a weekly nozzle test print, however I do it the old fashioned way. I have set up a recurring entry in Ical diary and it alerts me every Friday to go do a nozzle print :)

It just takes discipline :caf

Appreciate the reply, unfortunately no amount of self discipline will bridge the 3000 mile gap between me and the printer when I’m away for 5 months. I haven’t given up yet. I’m gonna start digging into things like Automator etc. There are so many apps written for everything under the sun, there must be some way or Keeling an inkjet printer fed with scheduled Test prints or nozzle checks.
Best.

PhilE

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10
Hi Folks,

I understand that Qimage allows you to schedule, but it’s windows only. Has anybody found a way for the Mac? I recall Apple used to provide Automator to set up repetitive tasks but I’m not even sure it’s around today. I’m thinking of getting into printing images and considering a P700 or P900 although I might chicken out and take a good used R3000 to get started. I will be away from whichever printer I get for 5 months of the year, so I want to set up a daily auto nozzle check or weekly test image. I assume that’s the best thing to do if I want to avoid clogs.

If anybody can suggest my best strategy, I am concerned about leaving a P700/900 sitting idle for half the year. If there is no schedule solution, I’m considering using remote access to a Mac and firing off a print that way. I haven’t looked at RA on OSX for years but it’s got to be easy today?

I must say that one would think that Epson would make utility software available to allow for scheduling so that we all can keep our printers in good shape but alas it appears none of the propeller heads back in the lab has given it any thought!

mucho thanks.
Hello. Although there is a way to do a script on a mac to do an automatic printout, I do not know what it is. BUT, Q-image is also a mac application and I do recommend it for the auto scheduled printouts as well as its printing uses. it does a ton of very useful stuff. Also you can use a free application called ink plumber which does a scheduled auto printout. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58118824

Stuart21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L355, L1800
5 months? That would waste a lot of ink. What I would do with mine (Epson L1800) is remove the prinheads, flush with RO water or suitable head cleaner, blow out and leave dry till I need to use it again. Computer off, printer off. (I Have found that some solvents can dissolve the guts of the printhead - even overnight - so water, or nothing)
Of course many here have much more experience than I - grateful for any comments - pro or con.

Good luck.

Alan Knoepfler

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1000
Hi, one of the best value ways of dealing with nozzle checks when away is to use Qimage One as it has great print resolution & layout capabilities superior to Lightroom for example. It is made for Mac specifically. With it, you can set nozzle check print schedules as well for most printers. I probably wouldn't do more than two a week, otherwise it would be a big waste of ink & money. However, with Epson's new printers not sure if anyone yet knows if there's an optimum period of time to schedule checks. It seems that Epson printers now are far better with clogging than they used to be.

Be aware that some printers can only take a set number of sheets at once in a feeder, so unless you have someone you trust to come in & stack some more paper while you're away, you will have to work within that limitation. Best check this ahead. I think the P700/P900 can only handle 30 sheets - unless you use the roll paper holder of those two printers & then you won't have to worry (optional on the P900). Get the cheapest roll paper you can if you go that way. Qimage offers two ways to print the patterns - either as a whole page or half page of A4 plain paper. I only ever use a half page which exercises the nozzles enough & saves paper. When you're at home you can then turn the pages around to print a nozzle check on the bottom half & do the same on the back so you get 4 patterns per A4.

I used to own an Epson R3000 & I would dissuade you from buying one. I had to give it up because of the black ink switching issue which rendered that printer (& others) unusable. Plenty of comments on the web about that problem. The new P700/P900 printers from Epson no longer need to switch inks as they have dedicated ink lines for both photo black & matte black. So if your budget allows go for one of them. I recently ditched my Canon Pro-1000 & am waiting on a P906 (in Oz - same as P900).

Hope this helps.
Alan

OneEighteen

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9900
"I understand that Qimage allows you to schedule, but it’s windows only. Has anybody found a way for the Mac?"
Maxmillian above suggested a utility program called Inkjet Plumber. I'll vouch for that program. I have an Epson 9900 and am away from my equipment for months at a time. Blocked printheads are expensive to fix. It's a simple routine that allows you to run a nozzle check at regular intervals. Before going away I put a roll of 8 1/2" plain paper on - you can get it at office supply stores - and set Liquid Plumber to run a nozzle check once a day. It prints the lines of the nozzle check, rolls out a couple inches of paper and waits for the next day. 2-3 months later, when I come back there is a length of paper of about 3" per day. Not much. Sometimes the check shows heads that need cleaning, but never the dreaded blank square where a color should be. A nozzle cleaning, sometimes just color pairs restores the printer to where it should be. Hope this helps.