How to run printer without all ink cartridges...?

fishy_design

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iPF6350
I'm working with a Canon iPF6350 printer. I recently ran out of MBK and I do not have a replacement. I'm ordering one today, but it won't arrive for a couple days.

Since there is no ink left, it is insistent on having it replaced before I can do anything else. I'm wondering if there is a way to override this so that I can complete print jobs that don't require MBK. On another note, is there a way to get the printer to use the BK ink instead? I read a suggestion that you can set the paper to photo paper when loading, (I'm using matte paper rolls, thus the use of MBK) but I just want to confirm if this is correct.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@fishy_design, Hang on a second, yes there is a safe way to do that, but only with the black colour cartridge.

Put about 20 ml of any other colour ink into the MBK cartridge, you can use a mixture of colours if you wish, then disable the ink monitoring on that black cartridge and you can continue to finish out your print run.

The printer will kick up a stink about disabling the ink monitoring but there will be sufficient ink inside the black cartridge to get you by safely, the MBK ink won’t suffer from the added colour addition.. :)

fishy_design

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iPF6350
Thanks Hat! I'll give that a try. Hopefully it will work out. :)