How to find and trust iP4500 X replacement print head

KasperDM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4500,HP Deskjet 1000,
Dear all,

Hope you are well.

I recently bought a secondhand Pixma iP4500 X over ebay. User said it worked perfectly.
I just installed it and connected it to my mac and I got error 1401 - print head error.

I read this thread and learned that this means my print head is dead. I also learned that this is a great printer (it came with 4 full original cartridges, only C empty) so that it might be worth fixing it by replacing the print head (as the only solution available).

They only resource for print heads I found were shipped from China or Taiwan. Are these reliable? Are there better or other options? I live in Belgium, Europe.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Kasper

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
User said it worked perfectly.
I just installed it and connected it to my mac and I got error 1401 - print head error.
1) The seller was not correct. Printer is not working. Get your money back now.

2) Canon has not made print heads for that model in years. Unless you find a hidden cache of print heads for your printer then you are most likely in for nothing but heartache. Print heads from Asia, and they seem to come out of China no matter where the seller is listed, are refurbished cleaned up and repackaged in counterfeit packaging. They may work or not. If they do work it typically is for a limited time from reports on this forum and elsewhere. Maybe you'll get a good used one.

Return the printer and get your money back now.

TGWOH

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922, Canon Pro 100
KasperDM is spot on. You should return it if you can. New fully functional non OEM IP4500 print heads are available for $65 to $165 USD. You can get a very good newer Canon or other brand printer in that price range.

KasperDM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4500,HP Deskjet 1000,
1) The seller was not correct. Printer is not working. Get your money back now.

2) Canon has not made print heads for that model in years. Unless you find a hidden cache of print heads for your printer then you are most likely in for nothing but heartache. Print heads from Asia, and they seem to come out of China no matter where the seller is listed, are refurbished cleaned up and repackaged in counterfeit packaging. They may work or not. If they do work it typically is for a limited time from reports on this forum and elsewhere. Maybe you'll get a good used one.

Return the printer and get your money back now.

You're absolutely right. I got my money back, so that's something already. Now for finding a good comparable printer (price/quality), that's another matter..

I already contacted a local electronics salvage center, they might have a used printer head for the iP4500, but chances are slim or course, it is an old machine..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
..I already contacted a local electronics salvage center, they might have a used printer head for the iP4500, but chances are slim or course, it is an old machine..

Look for print heads type QY6-0067 and QY6-0075. QY6-0067 is the type fitted to the iP4500 at production, QY6-0075 is a later replacement type. Both types fit the iP4500.

These print heads are also used in the MP610 and maybe more Canon printers. If you are lucky and find a good print head you will have a very good printer.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
A word of caution. The CLI-8 printheads went through three iterations on the desktop range. The sturdiest ones appear to be the ones on the iP4200 and MP500.
Over the years, I have found that the long term reliability appear to be spotty. If you receive a good printhead it can last a long time. More common appear to be the ones that work properly one day and the next day suffer from electronic failures. I have gone through over 6 printheads, maybe as much as 10 that suffer this fate. It appears to be a yield issue during the fabrication process.

Having said the above, the newer printheads are now enjoying a much improved yield situation. They are far more reliable and far less suffer from an early electronic failure, thought it will still occur.

Based on this, I would not have high expectations of acquiring a good long term CLI-8 machine and would tend to move towards Hat suggestions of the Maxify. One needs to understand the role of the Maxify, which is not really exactly replacing something like an iP4500. The CLI-8 machines would have to be literally a near giveaway.

The field of printers which are desirable to own are quickly dwindling and there is not much choice remaining.