How often should I use a Canon inkjet to ensure nozzles don't become clogged?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The nozzle check from your post #34 is missing. Did you delete it?

Your latest nozzle check with the new inks looks pretty good. The PGBK latticework is only partially printed and needs attention. At this point there is no reason not to think you can return to good function.

There are a number of way to approach the PGBK issue. For instance, you can do a Regular Cleaning of the PGBK and then a nozzle check to see if improvement. Repeat one more time if you would like. At that point you could let the printer sit over the evening and then try another Regular cleaning and nozzle check the next day. Post results.

Alternately, you could do a Deep cleaning once, do a nozzle check and then wait overnight as per above. Do a nozzle check and post results.

If you want you could flush the print head under tap water till running clear or thereabouts and then soak the print head with warm water and couple drops of Fairy liquid dish washing soap. Change the water if significant colored or every 4-12 hours. What ever you want. There is no prescribed way. I would place a crumpled up paper towel under the print head in the bowel and pump it up and down at water changes and whenever I wanted to help move the liquid into the nozzles. Flush and soak for as long as you can stand it and then a little longer, maybe 2-3 days or even a week. It's entirely up to you. When done then flush the print head with tap water or distilled water and let dry over night. Any liquid on the PCB board of electrical contacts may cause a short and ruin the print head.

To improve the quality of the scans of your nozzle check follow the instructions on scanner settings here:

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...canon-nozzle-check-using-a-cis-scanner.11398/

Cropping is done either within the scanner software or with a program like Photoshop, the free windows Paint, or any other number of image apps.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Great 2nd nozzle check! What an improvement the OEM inks made in busting through clogs or dead airspace in the channels. Wish I had seen that before typing up my post!

At this point you can return to regular printing. The issues in the PGBK will either resolve, stay or worsen. No more cleanin gs needed at this time.

The one thing that may be occurring with the PGBK is the early beginnings of nozzle warp as potentially seen in the vertical lines #4, 11, and elsewhere. This will look like a split straight vertical line like a train track. This may be due to scanner artifact. Please try scanning the same nozzle check again using the instructions in my last post to remove scanner artifact, then crop if you can and then post.

Directions on how to crop using a number of apps:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000989.htm

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
I inadvertently deleted the one from post 34. Is the second one I posted today, post 40, not ok? I know post 39's PGBK check is problematic. Edit: oops, sorry yes I have just seen your second post. Many thanks.

Last edited:

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
Great 2nd nozzle check! What an improvement the OEM inks made in busting through clogs or dead airspace in the channels.

Hate to disappoint you, but the new cartridges are most certainly not OEM. I refuse to pay Canon's prices on principle. I did a thorough clean of the printer cartridge while waiting for the new cartridges. I didn't use Fairy liquid, I used a bespoke liquid from a company called Printerknowledge, based in England. Even at that, the PGBLK section of the first nozzle check wasn't right, as you've seen.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Hate to disappoint you, but the new cartridges are most certainly not OEM.
I think you've confused me with someone that gives a Feck.

I didn't use Fairy liquid
Reread what I wrote. The Fairy was for cleaning you print head, not cleaning your cartridges.

I used a bespoke liquid from a company called Printerknowledge, based in England.
Link please.

Even at that, the PGBLK section of the first nozzle check wasn't right, as you've seen.
tá sé mar atá sé and it is now pretty good. Happy printing.

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
1618242608619.png

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
Cropped nozzle check above I couldn't figure out the scanner settings thing, the menu options on my PC are completely different to those in the link. The scanner artefact issue seems less in evidence though.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Hate to disappoint you, but the new cartridges are most certainly not OEM. I refuse to pay Canon's prices on principle. I did a thorough clean of the printer cartridge while waiting for the new cartridges. I didn't use Fairy liquid, I used a bespoke liquid from a company called Printerknowledge, based in England. Even at that, the PGBLK section of the first nozzle check wasn't right, as you've seen.
Either you liked you post so you posted it twice or the forum is discombobulated.

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Cropped nozzle check appears :thumbsup

If using Canon IJ Scan Utility you can try setting Document scanning "Image Processing Settings" to nothing else on except "Reduce Moire" with or without "Sharpen Outline" (try both ways)

PrinterGenie PowerFlush seems to have worked a treat for you!

Like with refilling, cleaning a print head has many ways to do it and each person can put their own spin on it.

You should have reported cleaning your print head prior to printing the nozzle check. I would not have needed to write out cleaning procedures.