A good scan of a Canon nozzle check using a CIS scanner

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
In a couple of posts, here and here, I have claimed that the CIS scanner in a newer Canon printer like the MG5150 is no good for scanning Canon nozzle checks. This is only true if you use default scanner settings. With the proper settings the scans are as good as scans from a CCD scanner like the one in Canon MP800 and MP830.

Here is a scan of the nozzle check from a Canon MG5150 using the CIS scanner in the MG5150 and default settings, notice the vertical striping:
MG5150 default scanner settings.jpg

Here is a scan using the same nozzle check and the same scanner with much better settings:

MG5150 nozzle check 150 MG5150 derastering.jpg

The secret is to use these settings from the "Advanced settings" in the printer driver. My scanner driver for the MG5150 is in Danish, but the driver should be the same in other languages with only the text changed:

MG5150 nozzle check best scanner settings.jpg

The first item to change is "Billedjustering" = "Image Adjust". It might be named "Auto Tone" or similar in English. Select Off or none or similar. If it is on it might increase the contrast to make the lighter stripes too light and difficult to see.

The next item "Uskarp maske" translates to "Unsharp Mask", select Off, as it might interfere with the setting in item 3 if it is on.

The third item "Derastering" which might translate to Descreen is the most important of the three and I think changing this setting to On is responsible for most of the improvement of the nozzle check.

"Ingen" = None, "FRA" = OFF and "TIL" = ON

By installing a driver from Canon USA I got the English language version of the scanner driver, here are the settings in English:

Scanner settings English.jpg

Last edited:

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Canon Pixma MG5150 color print quality decline

Some notes on scanned images:
- Full plate/A4, 150 dpi
- all auto options/correction set to "off"/"disabled"
- "Image Adjustment" set to "None"
- Descreen option set to "on" in order to avoid rainbow-like Moire artifacts on grids/screens
- CIS scanner from MG6250, stack of paper used instead of crappy pressure sheet

And again to make it more visible:
- Descreen option set to "on" in order to avoid rainbow-like Moire artifacts on grids/screens

Over 2 years ago.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I must admit you are right, I even liked your post. I think the reason I forgot about your scanner tips is that I found the service mode prints more important and didn't notice the scanner tips as I was using the Epson V33 CCD scanner that doesn't have problems with nozzle checks and moiré.

My default printer pt is the Canon MP800. A big and ugly thing, but with the iP5200 print engine and a nice CCD scanner with no problems with moiré and that also scans 35 mm film and slides.

I'll download the MG5150 user manual and study the scanner instructions.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I bet you (we) haven't recovered yet from @turbguy's last photo of the week.