How often should I use a Canon inkjet to ensure nozzles don't become clogged?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I assume that the new update Statman linked to above is preventing the faulty update from installing.
Maybe, or Windows hasn't got around to offering it again to you. Time will tell.

In the mean time... are the vertical and horizontal lines/banding in your image supposed to be there?

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
In the mean time... are the vertical and horizontal lines/banding in your image supposed to be there?

No. I noticed them. I'm awaiting new ink cartridges. If that doesnt fix it will have to clean printheads again.

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
Nozzle check attached.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Nozzle check attached.
Hope the new cartridges resolve the issues.

Upload a new nozzle check after installation of the new cartridges. If you can, crop the image before saving.

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
Ok thanks will crop the next one after installing new cartridges, hopefully on Monday. I'm beginning to fear that I may have to buy a new ('imitation', non OEM) print head again. They are available on ebay from China for as little as €20 or so so it's not the end of the world if I do.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There are no non-OEM Canon print heads that I am aware of. Refurbished, yes, some sold as "new" and packaged in counterfeit wrapper and box. The failure rate seems high. Maybe you'll get lucky. I would rather put that money towards a new printer with a new warranty. :fl

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
There are no non-OEM Canon print heads that I am aware of. Refurbished, yes, some sold as "new" and packaged in counterfeit wrapper and box. The failure rate seems high. Maybe you'll get lucky. I would rather put that money towards a new printer with a new warranty. :fl

Ah ok. I'm one of those people who is resistant to forking our for new hardware unless absolutely necessary. I must say the current print head is itself a refurb has given me almost a year of satisfactory performance until recently so I might go down the refurbished print head route again. Canon want €100 approx for a new printhead and, for that matter, €90 for a set of ink cartridges.....no thanks....if printer manufacturers continue to strongly recommend OEM inks and new manufacturer parts only, then they should make them affordable, otherwise people like me will continue to go the refurb and non-OEM route. That's how the free market works. Canon (and other printer manufacturers) can't have it both ways. To be fair, my printer is 7 years' old and wasn't particularly expensive.

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
Nozzle check with new cartridges. I don't know how to crop.

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_0002.jpg
    IMG_20210412_0002.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 160

dublin123

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6450
Second nozzle check, after performing two standard (not deep clean) automated cleans, turning printer off and leaving it for 50 mins approx.

IMG_20210412_0004.jpg