How many mL to put in my 220/221 substitutes for 225/226?

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I'm ready to start filling these transparent PGI-220/CLI-221 substitutes for the opaque PGI-225/CLI-226 that Canon expects me to use for my MG6120, but now I'm confused on the question of amounts. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=52047 recommends that I fill by weight. I've already bought enough equipment to make a very ostentatious piece of modern art, do I really need to buy scales now? Can I just refill by volume? I've seen talk about the density of inks but it all seems very conjectural. Is it known what volume of ink I should be using?

Another issue: these sponges are white, so they'll definitely be ready to absorb a lot. I'll need to take that into consideration. Or does it not really matter so much if I err on the side of overfilling by a small amount?

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
From my experience the volumes are 6 ml (dyes) 10 ml (pigment) for complete empty cartridges (and German method).
But if you are using semi - transparent cartridges (and German method) just fill the reservoir, change the cartridge position, wait a bit for the ink to be absorbed in sponge then top the reservoir.
According to some posts here (and my own experience with PGBK in a IP4600) the prism sensor is still functional as a safety measure, so filling a little less than maximum is not a issue, but overfilling can be a problem if ink reaches the air serpentine.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
You can't overfill the ink chamber, but you can overfill the sponge chamber. With the German method, overfilling shouldn't be a problem.

Weighing the cartridges is helpful if they are opaque. Even with opaque cartridges, you can fill to the correct level without weighing, but weight may help. Figure 1 mL weighs 1 g, to a very good approximation.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
BTW, I usually do German, but the tops are open right now. So I'll top fill them this time, then seal the hole and German fill every other time after.

Ok, so I can err on the site of quite a bit more then. Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PenguinLust
I agree with what gigigogu said dont be tempted to over fill theres nothing to be gain by that practice.
On the other hand over filling will lead to all sorts of problem for you and all you gain with it is trouble.

Give it time and you will quickly know how much is enough and no more,
to gain experience it takes practice and patiences so take your time theres no Oscars for Technicolor hands.

There is no need for a scale to weigh your 220/221 cartridges it is a totally unnecessary expense,
just go and enjoy your refilling. :)

Maybe report back on your new experience.. :love

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I can't imagine why you guys are afraid to fill the ink chamber. The fill level in the ink chamber doesn't affect the sponge side at all. The vacuum is determined by the sponge.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
But isn't there a danger in underfilling it? If the chip reports that the cartridge is not empty, won't the printer try to print while short of ink? I was told that was dangerous.
Also, if I do err on the side of underfilling, then I'm back to my question on what to do about the empty sponge.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PenguinLust

The whole thing about refilling by volume or by weight mostly applies to opaque cartridges like Canon 525/526 and some HP cartridge.
The 520/521 (220/221) cartridges are to be refilled exactly as older BCI and CLI cartridges. Either of proper executed top fill or German method should fill the cartridges with correct amount of ink: sponge side filled for about one third and spongeless side filled almost full.

Again, there is no risk filling a bit less: as long the ink monitoring is not disabled the prism sensor is functional and will kick in if the spongeless side becomes empty, no matter what chip says. Tested this myself, I resetted a 520 cartridge with only 20% ink in spongeless side: at first the cartridge was seen as full but after a cleaning cycle and 30 pages printed I got the low ink warning. Further info here http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7315.

Regarding the empty sponge, this is how the Canon cartridges are meant to be http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=33869#p33869.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Ok, so I'll go for 5.0000mL. And I'll let you know how it goes, but don't hold your breath, because no news is good news and generating bad news could take a while, if ever at all.
Oh, anyone want any unused PGI-220/CLI-221 chips?