stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the pyramids can also be accessed
They, too, do not always hold treasure. :gig

All kidding aside, excellent job on the Freedom Method video. Clear and concise.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
@Tin Ho,

It must be pointed out that running a Canon Pro 100 without ink monitoring in charge is just plain crazy,

Really? I must have been crazy for more than 10 months by now. My Pro-100 has not gone crazy yet....

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score

A printhead like the canons use -uses a heat to "expel the ink" and the resultant air in the printhead is not as big an issue for clearing.
Been a while

John
Air in a Canon print head could be a problem. This is why each time you remove a cartridge and install it back the printer will invoke a cleaning cycle when you start up the next print job.

If your printer is powered off and remains off for a prolonged period of time the printer will automatically invoke a cleaning cycle too. I had a power outage yesterday. When the power is restored and it received a new print job it did a cleaning like crazy before it started to print. It was for getting rid of possible air in the print head.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
In case you mean "reset the chip to a state of true fullness", I observed indeed with refilled OEM PGI-9 cartridges, that the resetted chip shows empty a few ml before, the originals leave less than 1 ml.
These chips have no prism, so the counting is done from the start.

I can live with this prudent approach, never saw a resetted chip warning too late (OK, only when I had the purge tube guided to a potty 40cm beneath :eek:).
What a resetter does to reset a chip is by writing into the chip with data that resembles empty. If the data is identical to what was in it by Canon then it does reset it to true empty. But if the data is only close to empty (to avoid a potential copyright issue) then it is only close to be empty.

I think you probably overfilled your cart by 1 ml. It actually is a 1 ml insurance to make sure you don't run with a dry ink cartridge. Much better than 1 ml short.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
What a resetter does to reset a chip is by writing into the chip with data that resembles empty. If the data is identical to what was in it by Canon then it does reset it to true empty. But if the data is only close to empty (to avoid a potential copyright issue) then it is only close to be empty.

I think you probably overfilled your cart by 1 ml. It actually is a 1 ml insurance to make sure you don't run with a dry ink cartridge. Much better than 1 ml short.
That makes little sense. It is more reasonable to set the chip to FULL. I base my assumption on the CPU instructions for a test for zero as a result of a decrement operation versus a comparison and then test for equality. It's an optimization thing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why is it taught that cartridge chips are intelligent and can somehow communicate and have direct access to the printers’ memory, they can’t because its primary task is read only, the printer does all the reading and counting.

The chip receives information from the printer only after the chip is shown to be registering as full, then stage drops occur to 3/4, and half full, all are only estimated ink levels and are not very accrete (guesstimate).

Only when the prism declares a low ink level, does the printer determine accurately the amount of ink left that can be used up safely before it stops and all communications to the chip are declared unreadable and void, you can hold the Resume button in for 5 seconds to continue. ! !

But running with ink monitoring disabled will cause the printer to deliberately use up excessive amounts of ink on cleaning cycles, and without diligent self-monitoring by the owner the printer will cause a fatal error to occur, this is better known as self-destruct mode...

The use of a redsetter will prevent the early demise of your print head and waste pads, by bring the chip back to a useful state and allowing the printer to communicate with it once more and exiting the self-destruct mode...

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250

But running with ink monitoring disabled will cause the printer to deliberately use up excessive amounts of ink on cleaning cycles, and without diligent self-monitoring by the owner the printer will cause a fatal error to occur, this is better known as self-destruct mode...

I seldom ran a printer with ink monitoring disabled (only for a very short time when I was busy printing), so I can't confirm the printer does more cleaning cycles.

It is registered in the EEPROM.

Does this occur on all Canon printers or has it only be observed on particular models ?