How is ink level determined?

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
There is no need for a scale unless you get anal about it. The clear cart is all you need. You are looking for complications where there is NONE.
LOL!
I actually overheated my vacuum cleaner sucking all the moister out of these carts before refilling them. It shut down. It was my time; I wanted to make sure it was done right. I figured the less water in the cart meant less dilution of ink.
I used the Precision Colors yellow cartridge as a baseline at 13.81 gm. I dried them out using the vacuum to a range from 13.56 to 13.85 gm. Still some of them were not as pure white as the included yellow cartridge. I bought the 16oz Squezy Deluxe Refill Kit with Resetter,Squezy Bottles at $99.98.
From what I've read, with the exception of the setup yellow cartridge, I won't be flushing carts for a long time, just refilling them.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
Serial EEPROM means nothing to me. I'm a C/C++ programmer, hardware ignorant. Could you please elaborate what that means to us and why it's important?
A serial eeprom is a storage device. Essentially it is the chip that keeps being referred to when the location of the ink volume is being discussed. It's important in this discussion only to say that the data content is permanent across removal and reinsertion of the cartridge, I.e., the cartridge has the ability to "remember" that value.

This discussion has been living in the realm of reverse engineering the operation of a component of the printer system. And, imho, the discussion has been targeted at ascribing a level of complexity to this that is well beyond what is needed. :pop

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
And, imho, the discussion has been targeted at ascribing a level of complexity to this that is well beyond what is needed. :pop
I was hoping you'd say something like that.
So, how is a serial EEPROM different from the USB flash drive I have on my keychain?

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I was hoping you'd say something like that.
So, how is a serial EEPROM different from the USB flash drive I have on my keychain?
Accessibility. A serial eeprom requires that you essentially start at the beginning and work your way, "bit by bit," to the end. Your keychain USB device allows you to access data by address. Old school vs today...

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Oh, duh, serial access vs. random access. USB drives will have an entire file system for FAT32, NTFS, etc. And a boot record to boot. USBs have directories and all that organizations. A serial access EEPROM goes from beginning to end. It has its own proprietary structure and not meant to be accessed in any standard way. But, they have flash memory that survives anything other than a complete erase. But, do they have ROM? Am I understanding this right?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sorry @Tin Ho, but your miles from the gate, the printer’s EPROM chip is the controller Auditor General and a cartridge chip is basically ignorant of its own surroundings, the EPROM chip is the working heart of all Canon printers.

The Canon cartridge chip can play many rolls in different printers just because its fitted to a CLl-42 cart means nothing, the chip doesn’t know what it is, or where it is, for that matter.
If the cartridge is taken out of that printer and placed in a different printer then the cartridge fails to work and no printing occurs.
Unlike HP, Canon cartridge chips can be moved between similar printers at any time and will function normally as if they were never changed over to a different machine, the PGl-9 and PGBK 5 cartridge chips can used in several different unrelated printers.

When the printers’ EPROM first communicates and then recognises the chip, the printer will then start to print, the cart chip had an imbedded code which can be read by many different Canon printers, it has no accrete control over ink consumption.

The prisms only function is to notify the printer EPROM that all the reserve ink has been consumed, and if the prism has been disabled or is not present the printers EPROM will still function normally with its absence...

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Oh, duh, serial access vs. random access. USB drives will have an entire file system for FAT32, NTFS, etc. And a boot record to boot. USBs have directories and all that organizations. A serial access EEPROM goes from beginning to end. It has its own proprietary structure and not meant to be accessed in any standard way. But, they have flash memory that survives anything other than a complete erase. But, do they have ROM? Am I understanding this right?
Sure, but you are missing the main point. EEPROM, serial EEPROM, ROM, USB, ..., are all examples of nonvolatile storage. File structures can be overlaid on any of them. It is most likely a waste of resources to put a file system on a cartridge, particularly if you only need to maintain a few items such as ID, current volume, perhaps installation date, etc.

While interesting perhaps, I don't think this thread will gain any value with a digression into embedded systems design. Just know that between the cartridge and printer exists a mechanism to remember information about ink volume that is most likely located on the cartridge.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don't think this thread will gain any value with a digression into embedded systems design.
Au contraire mon frère. Maybe, maybe not. But, that is what we do on the forum, and, this thread - "How Is Ink Level Determined" - is ripe for that discussion. If the OP does not want that layer of information then he can ask us to take it elsewhere.

Sometimes we learn things, or are reminded of things, when these seeming tangents occur. Yes, we've had this conversation before on the forum, but maybe new information or ideas may appear. For example, you have specialty knowledge that may enrich or corroborate the forum's collective conscious in this area. Bring it on!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
While interesting perhaps, I don't think this thread will gain any value with a digression into embedded systems design.
@apetitphoto, you ain’t seen nothing yet, or even the half of it... :)
We like Soaps on here...:lol: